1.4 16V ( 2006 ) Performance enhancements... ?

:cool: Hi !

I have just bought a Skoda Fabia 1.4 16V Wagon ( ~75 Hp. ) to the youngest daughter
and wonder if there are any cheap & simple performance improvements to do on this Engine ?

I have seen that on many of the corresponding Seat IBIZA have ~85 Hp. despite the same 1.4 16V engine.
What is the difference ?

Edited by 2stroke

In a word, no.

100 BHP variant has different pistons, cams and map. I would imagine the SEAT makes do with different cams and a slight remap.

A remap only will give you almost nothing, maybe ~5 BHP, not worth the effort and expense.

I think that you will find that the slightly later SEAT engine that you are referring to would also be fitted into the later Fabia and Polo, and is just a version of the FSI engine with some bits removed.  It is a bit better than the lower powered engine, though I am only talking from experience of comparing a fully loaded up 2002 Polo 5 door with BBY 1.4 75PS with a basic 2009 Ibiza SC with BXW 1.4 85PS engine, all the later cars weighed a bit less and it all adds up to make them better to drive with 10PS more power.

Edit:- Sorry , maybe it was still the FSI engine that was in the SEAT you were comparing your Fabia wagon to - parts of the "FSI" were left out in later engines as well as dropping the FSI engine/model tag.

Edited by rum4mo

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎27 at 10:46, rum4mo said:

I think that you will find that the slightly later SEAT engine that you are referring to would also be fitted into the later Fabia and Polo,
and is just a version of the FSI engine with some bits removed. 
It is a bit better than the lower powered engine, though I am only talking from experience of comparing a fully loaded up 2002 Polo 5 door with BBY 1.4 75PS with a basic 2009 Ibiza SC with BXW 1.4 85PS engine, all the later cars weighed a bit less and it all adds up to make them better to drive with 10PS more power.

Edit:- Sorry , maybe it was still the FSI engine that was in the SEAT you were comparing your Fabia wagon to - parts of the "FSI" were left out in later engines as well as dropping the FSI engine/model tag.

SEAT Ibiza-III ( 2003-2008 )
Engine:  1.4 16V
Engine code:  BXW
Engine output:  85 Hp.

Anyone know the differences compared to the 74 Hp version ?

Why aren't you listening to me:

55 kilowatts (75 PS; 74 bhp) @ 5,000 rpm; 128 newton metres (94 lbf·ft) @ 3,300 rpm — AHW, AXP, AKQ, APE, AUA, BCA, BBY, BKY
59 kilowatts (80 PS; 79 bhp) @ 5,000 rpm; 132 newton metres (97 lbf·ft) @ 3,800 rpm — BUD, CGGA
63 kilowatts (86 PS; 84 bhp) @ 5,000 rpm; 132 newton metres (97 lbf·ft) @ 3,800 rpm — BXW, CGGB
74 kilowatts (101 PS; 99 bhp) @ 6,000 rpm; 126 newton metres (93 lbf·ft) @ 4,400 rpm — AFH, AFK, AUB, BBZ

Notice peak torque on the BXW is at 3800 RPM whereas your BBY is 3300 RPM, that's the dead giveaway that it has different cams in it. When you change cams you have to remap so it'll have a different map in it as well.

Which is EXACTLY what I said first time around.

OK?

• Like 2