Towing with a Yeti

Steve130

I am guessing this is about the so called VW diesel 'scandal'.  (Skoda being part of VW group) As far as I know the 'improvements' in general mean less MPG & less grunt all round. I see there is a register of those vehicles having had the 'improvement'. Even if I found one that had not, could this record be used to force me to do so in the future. Resale value if not done does not worry me as I tend to keep vehicles pretty well down to the end if I like them. 

On the subject of trailers there is also an Ifor Williams single axle trailer 1500 Kg gross, 270 Kg tare, so 1230 Kg load

@Pete1961 We’ve got a Yeti 170 and a SWB Shogun and have towed the 2050kg boat (further up this thread) with both of them.

If you intend to tow as regularly and as heavily as you suggest, then i’d go with the Shogun. Oodles of torque, very good at hill starts, slipways and at slow speed, plus they’re cheap and tough. On the other hand the Yeti is much cheaper to run, faster without a trailer and a really good tow car, but it’s first gear is a little too high when towing more than 1800kg.

Both of our cars are great, but we now do most of our heavy summer towing to the South of France with the Shogun whilst the Yeti always delivers us to the French Alps in the winter for skiing!

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Pirate & all,

I have looked up the SWB Shogun, sadly width wise just too tight through the garage doorway , otherwise an ideal choice all round.

That leads me back to the Yeti, good to have some real world input on this.  The trailer I saw is quoted for up to 2000 Kg all in but  I could happily go with an actual fully loaded weight of 1735 Kg. As the tow vehicle is good in theory for 2000 / 2100 Kg dependant on age the plated max weight of the trailer is OK. This machine will do all I need if the weight is OK as you seem to suggest. Otherwise I could go lighter if I had to - but not so credible then.

On this page there is a chart of I think current model towing capacities /www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/9-newbies/7853-help-towing.html

it quotes two figures for each e.g. 750Kg / 2100Kg - I am guessing the 750 Kg is the unbraked figure?    I only ask because I have another machine (not currently working) that is its own built in unbraked trailer weighing just under this fig. If I could also legally move this locally it would be a bonus. Called a 5 Star Gopher, can be seen at the bottom of this page   www.oilyhands.co.uk/gopher_towable_diggers.htm

750kg is the maximum unbraked trailer weight allowed.

We used to call thise diggers "Smalleys" I think after one of the manufacturers. We have one (unused) similar on The Corris Railway.

I did look at pick ups including the older Mitsubishi L200 but again the 5 metre length is a bit much for the garage, (we have a door in the rear of it - through this & the front main roller door is the only access to the rear garden without walking through the house.  I may look further into the pick up thing - I do not need dual cab as only two of us (I now run an 04 Berlingo Van), but lately pick ups have become much more a toy aimed at the USA leisure market than a practical work vehicle - not so 20 yrs ago. I would not be using the trailer every day, one use of the machine might see it sit on a project for some months. That said I do not want to own a piece of machinery that I am in the hands of someone else to move. Re the trailer, my council also auctions off small loads of logs in about 5ft lengths at good prices, I could then take advantage of this as both me & my dad are woodstove heated.

Re the towable digger - the oilyhands site has info on the Smalley make, & many others inc Powerfab etc. I gather the max unbraked is 750 Kg but it depends also on the max manufactures recommendation (often that the tow vehicle is double the unbraked trailer weight - but maybe a get out if the vehicle is 4WD. I am a member of several plant hire / owner operator forums & the towing chestnut often comes up. I have towed before, but a general purpose large builders trailer. I would be in the good used market, & probably remove & store the rear Yeti seats - if I got one.

OK.

But you might notice that businesses like Farmers, Builders, Utility Companies, Coastguard / Rescue -Emergency Services and Police - military all over the UK use Pick-ups as Defenders or Land Cruiser's were not that suitable or economical.

As you use commercially i take it you have Business / Commercial Insurance & are a proper registered company so a proper tow vehicle would be an asset and tool of the trade.

Completely agree with Offski and Graham.

The Yeti will pull it, but it’s absolutely at the edge of its limits and experience is key. If I were going again i’d probably choose a DSG gearbox with wet clutches to ease the get away, but you can’t beat meat when towing heavy loads.

Pirate, sorry I am a bit confused here, the maker says 2100 Kg max, you say a more realistic limit is 1800 kg total towed weight.   I then say 1735 Kg total including the trailer's own weight,  & you then seem to say this is at the very edge of what the Yeti will do. Are you saying the 1735Kg is really too much for it to be towing regularly?

When you say a DSG gearbox - do you mean some kind of automatic & hence a torque converter in place of the main clutch?

I have another thread on a construction related forum talking of what mini machine to run, Several of them get about the same money with an 1170 Kg machine - this can go on either the 364 Kg trailer OR the 270 Kg trailer, so I would be talking either 1534 or 1440 KG  total towed mass.

The ability to run a crusher bucket goes out of the window - but other's experiences seem to say this is pretty marginal work anyway so no matter -

As to the unbraked 750 kg - that would be only towed occasionally very locally - if I could get the thing up & running. The fact that this has bypass hydraulic wheel motors impose an upper limit of 40mph on it, & better to stick closer to 30mph.  This was once owned by an archaeologist, he used to tow it with a large Volvo estate - a V70 I think (effortlessly he said of towing it)

To be honest the machines will work mainly on my own project in one place - but I wanted the means to take them out locally now & again when some paid work comes up.

The manufacturer's stated towing limit for your model Yeti is 2100kg, however that is greater than the car's kerb weight (earlier models were 2000kg). Therefore it is sensible not to tow more than than the kerb weight, and from my experience I would not recommend towing anything over the kerb weight.

DSG is the automatic system used by Skoda that does not use a torque converter as it is not hydraulic, but uses a system of clutches.

Personally I think you are looking at the wrong vehicle for the use you require.

Having done a lot of towing over the years with boats and goods trailers, the maximum given on the car is something to set a legal limit. If checked and over this you could be prosecuted.

Whilst theoretically you can tow a trailer up to this weight, it is not recommended, and I agree with Llanigraham that you should go for about 85% of that or less. Otherwise the trailer can start driving the car during severe manoeuvres.

I also think the car needs to be well loaded as well when towing heavy trailers, as this improves the overall handling.

The DSG is an automated manual clutch and apparently makes for a very capable towing vehicle when using the diesel Yeti and its associated wet clutch dsg. I no longer use my cars for towing, so have no direct dsg towing experience, as I think the cost to fit a modern car with a towbar is too  much for the amount of towing I was still doing, so now manage without. Last towbar and electrics cost me about £150 fitted to a mark 1 Superb back in 2006. I refuse to pay getting on for £800 as some garages required to fit one to a Yeti!

I would not consider trying to tow with the 1.2 petrol yeti and its dry clutch dsg though.

(I did mange to sell my 9 year old IFOR Williams goods trailer for only £150 less than the equivalent new one though when I gave up towing. Strange how people will pay so much for a second hand item, when they could get a new one with full warranty for only a short amount more.)

I have had a look at this,    towcar.info/GB/towing-advise.php   & see they advise a max of 1400 Kg, + or - 50 KG, even for the 2100 Kg max manufacturers tow limit, so if I did go with one of these I would go with the lighter trailer & smaller machine giving a total towed mass of 1440 Kg,  I think I may get away with this OK?

I have read up on the DSG system & think a) I am too much of an old dog - passed test 1978 to get used to it. b) it is very complex & my local mechanic (good on diesel cars) would not be able to fathom it, nor would he wish to. I do know that amongst the older Cat tractors that it is always the manual drive version that lives long - the 'powershift' is too open to operator abuse & then too complex to economically repair as it gets older. I would stick to a manual 6 speed if at all. Agreed that an oil cooled multi plate clutch is a good thing in itself - if only it stopped at that

I agree that it is not an ideal choice as a work vehicle, but the limitation of the garage mean that unless I find something better it would be this for now or give up on the whole thing. I have looked at all the common pick ups & they have grown over the years, they are all just too big. I see the Yeti has now been replaced by the Karoq - pity as they seemed to have sold like hot cakes round here, saw a parked Karoq - did not like it half as much. If I got one would have my supplier look out a mechanically good lowish mileage 170 PS 4x4 Outsider, not too worried about the inside trim as long as no signs of rust, think to look for one with a towbar already fitted if poss.  I gather Jeremy Clarkson speaks well of the Yeti, he or one of his mates spoke well of the Berlingo / Peugeot  Partner - has served me very well

Have looked at http://kapsuzuki4x4.co.uk  A perfect little work vehicle particularly  with the 'Ifor Williams' rear top, I would only like to add some kind of roof bar on each section to allow ladders etc to be carried. Makes me consider going lighter all round with    www.jmeka.fr/en/  & a lighter still trailer

Edited by Pete1961
Extra info added

I guessed they were an aftermarket conversion of probably a used vehicle. Could work for me on many levels, I do some clearing of downed trees & often need to walk miles with saws, fuel & bits & bobs. Also I still drive casually for other plant owners, similar problem except I now carry tools for service & repair 5 gall tubs of gas oil etc. Above all it fits the garage -unlike big pick ups. Off away for a week now. will look into it further

• 9 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread, didn't realise how long on and off i have been looking.

Stirred up a bit of chit chat regarding towing weights, etc. Our caravan has the Alko ATC setup, but that doesn't mean I can tow it like I could with the Range Rover.

I have finally got us a Yeti, collect it this Saturday. 

A 2.0 SE L SCR DSG, just 3-1/2 years old and 33,000 miles. I would suspect an ex motability vehicle, but there is not a mark on it.

First car I have ever had sub 50,000 miles.

Will be able to tax and insure it with £90 to spare, that's how much the road tax alone costs for the Range Rover.

Was surprised when I took it for a test drive, how quick it was and how it rode on the bumpy roads and speed humps.

The first test will be to tow the caravan down to Cornwall mid next month for a week and a half holiday.

Thanks for all the info, and looking forward to being a long term member on here.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/07/2019 at 20:41, Roottootemoot said:

@Steve130

Enjoy.

?

Has the Haldex been serviced?

& Remember the DSG is due at 40,000 miles.

Hi Roottootemoot.

Haldex has not been serviced, neither the DSG, but coming up to 35,000 miles, I will be doing both myself.

Sorry for the late reply, but I have not had chance to frequent the forum lately due to work.

Steve.

• 1 month later...
On 23/07/2019 at 20:23, Steve130 said:

The first test will be to tow the caravan down to Cornwall mid next month for a week and a half holiday.

How did it go? What engine do you have? Did you look specifically for an ex-Motability vehicle, and what mods did it have?

Hi tintinandcharlie

Unfortunately due to other circumstances this didn't come off, but will be going over to the Flyde coast tomorrow for a long weekend away with the caravan.

There is the Firework world championship in Blackpool this Friday which we are attending as spectators, so I will be able to appraise the car/caravan combo when we get back early next week.

Steve.

On 24/09/2019 at 16:10, tintinandcharlie said:

How did it go? What engine do you have? Did you look specifically for an ex-Motability vehicle, and what mods did it have?

Very few Motability cars are modified in any way. \They are just normal cars leased to disabled people.

• 3 weeks later...

Car towed a treat. very stable, no snaking and felt competent up to the towing speed limit. Not even affected by the odd lorry going past when my speed dropped.

Also a very good average mpg of 31, much better than the Range Rover doing the same journey and averaging 20 mpg.

@tintinandcharlie.

We didn't look specifically for an ex motability car, it might not be an ex motability car but had only done 34,000 miles . Engine is 150bhp.

No mods to it other than a fixed tow bar and 7 pin towing electrics, which I am replacing with a detachable one. I have already changed the 7 pin electrics to 13 pin and done the various software changes for towing.

Great car, great mpg, what else can I say!!!!!!

Roll on Italy next summer.

Steve.