GPS, DAB+ Anriod Head unit

Just installed my new android head unit. (ERISIN from AliXpress) A few issues... too low intensity on the screen which is probably something i will have to put up with. Bad reception on the DAB+ (probably) due to antenna location in windscreen corner.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use the original FM antenna on the roof if it was replaced with a DAB+ antenna? Look like it is easy to unscrew and fit another one..(DAB+)

The android head unit came with a gps antenna that i have placed above the glove compartment. Works ok. But i wonder if the original gps antenna on the roof has a cable attached to it which runs to the radio compartment- does anyone know?

Is the upholstery in the ceiling difficult to remove for access to the roof mounted antenna? Couldnt see if it was any additional cables there when the android head unit was installed.

Thanks.!

20170702_161938.jpg

Just retrofited the OEM dab GPS antenna to mine, very easy to do. Need to drop the rear roof trim plastic and there is good access. The antenna is secured with a single nut, can't remember size. used a swan spanner it'll give you better access. You'll need to run an extension Fakra cable (blue) to the rear of the unit. Found it easier to run the cable down the passenger side and into the A pillar and behind the glove box. Previously I had a GPS unit place under the dash but the OEM antenna is so much better picking up satellites not to mention it looks original. I haven't tested the DAb capabilities as still waiting for my columbus unit to arrived. The DAb connection on the OEM antenna is Fakra (black) you will also need an extension cable. 

• Like 1

The OEM DAB antenna will require 12v DC on the DAB connection to power it. I'm not sure if the Erisin will provide this so the OEM antenna may not work out of the box on the aftermarket unit. You'll probably need a phantom 12v supply.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 13:42, vRSrod said:

Just retrofited the OEM dab GPS antenna to mine, very easy to do. Need to drop the rear roof trim plastic and there is good access. The antenna is secured with a single nut, can't remember size. used a swan spanner it'll give you better access. You'll need to run an extension Fakra cable (blue) to the rear of the unit. Found it easier to run the cable down the passenger side and into the A pillar and behind the glove box. Previously I had a GPS unit place under the dash but the OEM antenna is so much better picking up satellites not to mention it looks original. I haven't tested the DAb capabilities as still waiting for my columbus unit to arrived. The DAb connection on the OEM antenna is Fakra (black) you will also need an extension cable. 

the nut for the antenna is 22mm,just replaced my fm roof antenna with a dab one from dabonwheels for my nexus 7 tablet and dab monkeyboard, perfect reception, I tried all those windscreen antennas, bout as much use as a chocolate fireguard

18 hours ago, moiloon said:

the nut for the antenna is 22mm,just replaced my fm roof antenna with a dab one from dabonwheels for my nexus 7 tablet and dab monkeyboard, perfect reception, I tried all those windscreen antennas, bout as much use as a chocolate fireguard

Which DAB aerial did you buy. Does your fm radio still get a good received. 

Still struggeling with the aft part of the ceiling. How does one get access to unscrew these fasteners?

Thanks..!:angry:

20170720_215231.jpg

20170720_215219.jpg

Edited by Lindeman
New pictures.

Finally managed to unscrew the 22 mm nut and loosened antenna from the roof. Se the pics. This label was found on the underside of the antenna. Does anyone know if one of the connectors are ment for DAB+?

Can these connectors be used for my Erisin Android head unit?

20170720_220859.jpg

20170720_222054.jpg

Edited by Lindeman
New pictures.

DAB and DAB+ are both the same connector colour (black) and same cable. Same antenna also. You don't need a different system for DAB & DAB+.

How many cables are connected to your existing antenna? It looks like the white one is the only one connected and that's for AM/FM. If you're going to lose AM/FM then you can use that white connector cable for DAB, but the Fakra plugs are different and won't fit (each colour has a different key system to prevent incorrect connection) so you'll need to modify the connector to fit a DAB fakra or buy an adapter, or cut the end off and fit a new connector. But yes, you can use the cable.