What Octavia owners think of VW Arteon?

Hi all the other day I was looking for paint you know for thos small rock damage. Went to Škoda dealer no any on stock went to VW dealer also no on stock. Any way saw the new Arteon R Line. Went to have a peak and it looks amazing so sporty and sexy plus it has a 5th door! Said to my self wow this is a good competitor to Superb.
It is pricey though. But salesman came OFC and be for he managed to finish can I help you I was I want a test ride!

Lucky me I got i right away witouth apointment. Tested Elegance model 2.0 TDI 150hp with DSG. Drives nice so comfortable! Realy I was impresed with the car.

What you guys think about it any one seen or driven one?

I didn' make a vido of test ride but I did capture the R Line in salon. :D

There's also a topic in Superb section comparions. But I wanted to hear more opinion of Octavia drivers and maybe VRS owners.

Edited by Croat

Probably more of a Superb competitor, I prefer the look of the Superb, don't like the current trend for a 3rd side window.

However it is great to see another option for a 5 door fastback. They are a dying breed, about 15 years ago you could choose from Lagunas, Xantias/C5s, Accords, Primeras, Avensises etc., these days the only real options are Mondeo, Insignia, Skodas or go 'premium' with the Audi A5 or the proportionally challenged 3/5 BMW GT models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillM82 said:

or the proportionally challenged 3/5 BMW GT models.

Don't forget the 4 series Gran Coupe which is far more aesthetically pleasing than the 3 GT. That said, in M Sport trim the 3GT can look pretty nice but the 5 GT is pure ugly.

Looks nice, really like the low coupe style.

To be honest, these VAG cars are all largely similar: same modular platform, FWD, same engines, minor detailing changes. I wouldn't loose sleep over which car I end up with as a second hand buyer. All I want is in terms of body style is: lower driving height (hate SUV), low coefficient of drag, hatch opening and large boot (which rules out Golf style hatchbacks).

4 series grand coupe is better looking and should drive better being RWD. But it only has 4 seats. 3 series GT is a big NO for me, it's too raised, a horrible attempt at crossover. CLA looks okay, but it's FWD, defeats purpose of buying a premium brand (same reason I'm not big fan of Audi). Tesla Model S, now that's a beautiful looking car, and it's not FWD, slim it down and it'll be perfect.

2 hours ago, wyx087 said:

Looks nice, really like the low coupe style.

To be honest, these VAG cars are all largely similar: same modular platform, FWD, same engines, minor detailing changes. I wouldn't loose sleep over which car I end up with as a second hand buyer. All I want is in terms of body style is: lower driving height (hate SUV), low coefficient of drag, hatch opening and large boot (which rules out Golf style hatchbacks).

4 series grand coupe is better looking and should drive better being RWD. But it only has 4 seats. 3 series GT is a big NO for me, it's too raised, a horrible attempt at crossover. CLA looks okay, but it's FWD, defeats purpose of buying a premium brand (same reason I'm not big fan of Audi). Tesla Model S, now that's a beautiful looking car, and it's not FWD, slim it down and it'll be perfect.

4 Series Gran Coupe has 5 seats, and is available as RWD or XDrive (4wd)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ahenners said:

4 Series Gran Coupe has 5 seats, and is available as RWD or XDrive (4wd)

Hum, yes you are right. Thanks for correcting me.  But I do remember seeing 4 seats at the back when the car initially released, may be I was looking at the 3 door version.

7 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Hum, yes you are right. Thanks for correcting me.  But I do remember seeing 4 seats at the back when the car initially released, may be I was looking at the 3 door version.

It's an incredibly confusing product in BMW's line up...

It's a 5 door, 5 seat version of the 2 door 4 seat version (4 Coupe) of the 4 door 5 seater (3 series) which is available in 2 different 5 door 5 seat versions (estate and GT). Product overlap much?!

Edited by ahenners

• 1 year later...

So I currently have a 1.0 SE Tech DSG Octy on order through PCH but my head has been hugely turned by the 1.5 Elegance DSG Arteon which, at the moment, I could get for about only another £60 per month. 

Very different car, I realise, but it’s a great looking car with loads of tech and from the reviews the biggest criticism seems to be that it’s not an Audi or BMW :wondering: (which I couldn’t car less about). 

1 hour ago, maffyou said:

So I currently have a 1.0 SE Tech DSG Octy on order through PCH but my head has been hugely turned by the 1.5 Elegance DSG Arteon which, at the moment, I could get for about only another £60 per month. 

Very different car, I realise, but it’s a great looking car with loads of tech and from the reviews the biggest criticism seems to be that it’s not an Audi or BMW :wondering: (which I couldn’t car less about). 

Passat or Arteon is easily worth £60 a month over a Mk3 Octy even with the same spec. The ride and refinement are in a different league.

Then you have 1.0 to 1.5 and SE Tech to Elegance.

Easy decision.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, toni8b said:

I would rather get a Passat Estate. Highline looks very good, but you can even go with a R-line if you want.

Not a a fan of estates on the whole, and the only reason I’m even considering this is because there are very good lease deals for the Arteon right now £5800 for two years leading in a £32k list price car... the depreciation over two years must be more than double that cost! Also Arteon looks way nicer than the Passat IMO. 

3 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Passat or Arteon is easily worth £60 a month over a Mk3 Octy even with the same spec. The ride and refinement are in a different league.

Then you have 1.0 to 1.5 and SE Tech to Elegance.

Easy decision.

I agree, I think it’s easily worth the extra money. Spec is also way above SE Tech - virtual cockpit, heated seats, leather interior, LED headlights, 3 zone climate... 

3 hours ago, maffyou said:

Not a a fan of estates on the whole, and the only reason I’m even considering this is because there are very good lease deals for the Arteon right now £5800 for two years leading in a £32k list price car... the depreciation over two years must be more than double that cost! Also Arteon looks way nicer than the Passat IMO. 

I agree, I think it’s easily worth the extra money. Spec is also way above SE Tech - virtual cockpit, heated seats, leather interior, LED headlights, 3 zone climate... 

If you dont need an estate and dont lack the head space in the rear seats, then Arteon might be of choice, but not for me.

6 hours ago, toni8b said:

If you dont need an estate and dont lack the head space in the rear seats, then Arteon might be of choice, but not for me.

My daughter is only 9 so by the time the lease ends she'll still be little and I rarely have other adults in the back. Occasionally my parents might be in the back too, but they're both really quite short, well under 6 foot, so head space in the rear isn't an issue I need to worry about.

Waiting to hear back from Lease Hub to see if I can change my order. No idea whether I can or not. Hoping that as delivery is still allegedly 11 weeks away then it probably hasn't been built yet so I might be in with a chance...

10 minutes ago, john999boy said:

@maffyou I'm not too sure on the Arteon 1.5 lead times but I've had a 2.0tsi on order since August and it's still with WLTP!

Crikey! :blink: Lease hub are saying April/May but I might try and ring a VW dealer for their input on lead times. I think the 1.5 only launched in spring last year, so I wonder if they were more ahead of the game with that engine? Well, if it turns out to be much longer than May I might have to reconsider as I can’t really hold on much longer than that. (All assuming I can ditch the old order anyway). 

Have you been given given an estimated delivery date for yours yet?

@penguin17 good to know, thanks. That’s exactly what I’m looking at. 

Having done a bit more digging it looks like the 2.0 280 engine went off sale because of WLTP issues but the others didn’t. The 280 is now a 272 and only went back on sale in late November/early December so that could account for @john999boy delays. 

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

He was also told that the colour is "5hi7", but I have Meteor grey so who am I to judge :D

I thought it looked decent from the pictures I’ve seen. Certainly better than the energy blue I have for the Octavia on order (I’m not paying extra for paint on a lease car). 

I'll be honest; the first Arteon I seen in the bare metal was in Urano grey and it really didn't flatter the car at all. I was actually disappointed as it looked 'flat' and the lines of the car were hidden.  I've since seen one other (yes 2 in 2 years!) which was an R line in Turmeric and it looked the dogs, as good as all the pictures I'd seen online and in magazines.  I also don't think turmeric is a bright/shouty colour, it seems to suit the lines of the Arteon and R Line trim. 

All subject to personal preference and subjective though.  Like I said above, I like Meteor grey so can be duly ignored when it comes to colour critiquing. :)

Edited by penguin17

I think the turmeric looks great too and it’s not usually a colour I’d even consider for a car, but adding a £600 option onto a 2 year lease puts an extra £25 onto each payment (on 1+23 profile which I’ll probably go for). To me it’s just not worth the extra expense, especially if I don’t have to worry about resale. I can live with the grey :)

3 minutes ago, maffyou said:

I think the turmeric looks great too and it’s not usually a colour I’d even consider for a car, but adding a £600 option onto a 2 year lease puts an extra £25 onto each payment (on 1+23 profile which I’ll probably go for). To me it’s just not worth the extra expense, especially if I don’t have to worry about resale. I can live with the grey :)

Totally agree.  It's still a nice car though. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maffyou said:

I can live with the grey :)

At least you've only got 2 years to repent as it really is the worst colour out there. :thumbdown:

The yellow is Marmite too but I've only seen it once on an Arteon and whilst not minding it, I wouldn't want to go for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1