Superb vs Audi A6

10 minutes ago, MorrisOx said:

The Octavia and the Superb are different animals, Xman. Unless you go for a higher powered version, the Octavia comes with torsion beam rear suspension, which is noticeably harsher than the multi-link set up on the Superb. Doesn’t bother some people but worth bearing in mind.

Part of the reason I chose the Superb. However I wasn't particularly that impressed on the short test drive with the road noise and the ride quality was nothing magical. It was the feeling of comfort, quality and space over the Octavia that sold it. And discrete, not over blinged, probably still nice to look at and be in 20 years down the line.

I just hope that complex suspension with DCC ain't going to cost me an arm and a leg in 10-20 years time!

• Like 1

I’ve currently got an Octy and tested a Superb Sportline (which has lowered suspension and low profile tyres). It wasn’t magic carpet but it was noticeably better than the Octy at coping with poor surfaces. Torsion beams just aren’t that clever and it’s much easier to engineer a decent ride/handling compromise into even a basic multi-link set up.

8 minutes ago, xman said:

Part of the reason I chose the Superb. However I wasn't particularly that impressed on the short test drive with the road noise and the ride quality was nothing magical. It was the feeling of comfort, quality and space over the Octavia that sold it. And discrete, not over blinged, probably still nice to look at and be in 20 years down the line.

I just hope that complex suspension with DCC ain't going to cost me an arm and a leg in 10-20 years time!

That’s quite a long timeframe you’re looking at there.  Still, most modern cars should be well up for it it looked after.  Comparing the two cars on suspension or comfort is like apples and oranges.  Very much agree with your take on the Superb though, it has a particular niche, understated and sensible but not too much compromised at the same time.

Most car enthusiasts are aware of how much car badge snobbery exists in the UK. The strive and desire to have the Audi or Merc or BMW. Even if it means a bargain basement model.

Im not skodas biggest fan at present but for what my cash bought me was lots of toys in the car. Yes skodas have their flaws (thin paint, poor imitation leather etc) but overall depending on model you can get substantial equipment. But not so on the lower specs which though its cheap motoring the likes of ford and vauxhall can offer more.

My sportline so far has been a curiosity. The window cleaner thought it was a merc, a local car garage mechanic thought it was a BMW and i even had someone in traffic ask me what it was and paid it compliments. Modeslty i thanked him but i was somewhat embarrassed.

And so the badge is unknown to many? Interestingly my neighbour who does tend to showboat has just taken delivery of her new fiesta st line. Minding my own washing my car she appeared somewhat conveniently to let me know she has a button to start the engine. I replied thats nice but if she looked passed the skoda badge at my sportline she would see a car brimming with tech well styled and fast for a very large car. 

As stated some just want that badge on the grill over and beyond luxury and safety tech.

But....if someone paid for me to have an RS4 or RS6 i would not refuse.

• Like 1

Concerning the matter the decision ultimately is up to you, which one do you like more?

When it comes to the new S3 as previous guys have stated, the car has some issues. And for that you need a bit of luck, some of us have had a better experience, some of not the greatest one :) (MartiniB). 
One thing though that I would suggest for you to consider is that Superb is propably at its best form at the moment. Meaning that the car looks great and runs decent, keeping in my mind that this is a new model.

Having a new model (does not matter who is the manufacturer of the car or product) on the other hand means that you will have problems, because the product is brand new. 

The second thing that came to my mind is that the S3 generally isin´t a bad car, but it has its issues and some stupid downsides. Pretty much all the possible flaws are here in these forums so search them and look through them. You can do the same at audizine. And the A6 has its own brand of flaws aswell. Yep, it is a really really good car. But general baseline is that the newer the Audi the more problems you have. I have had 3 Audis in my time. The 2007 A6, 2010 A6 and 2012 A6 prior to the S3. And the best of them was the 2007 version, I drove it to 400k km and it still ran super good. the 2010 and 2012 versions were not that good. Technical malfunctions and a a lot of electrical issues. Due to the fact that the Audi V6 TDI 3.0 is relatively old, then the technical issues were easily solvable. On the other hand the electrical issues were a true pain in the ass and cost a lot.

Then started the time of the Superb S3. Which as all the previous cars has had its ups and downs during the first 2 years. But the car is great, the issues and solving them is more of a problem for the Estonian Skoda dealership than it is the cars fault. Meaning that the dealership is not ready to handle the car. And I personally dont think that the manufacturer is to blame, that local dealerships cant handle the problems. 

Bottom line choose what you like the most, both cars are super good. And both of them have their + and - sides. But , be sure that you know the + and - of the model you will choose. It will generally make it easier for you to handle the dealerships. Skoda is cheaper but I think you will get more from the money you put in the car. Because it really is a fullhouse in every term. Audi propably keeps its value better, has a better build quality and if you choose quattro then that definetly is something that is better.

Hope this helps you choose :).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, inaaris said:

1. But the car is great,

2. the issues and solving them is more of a problem for the Estonian Skoda dealership than it is the cars fault. Meaning that the dealership is not ready to handle the car. And I personally dont think that the manufacturer is to blame, that local dealerships cant handle the problems. 

1. i can agree! But only on Highway and Traveling long distances,
last year top score were 6kKm, from Baltic Sea to Black Sea and back,

few times speed reached 200+kmh :)

2. i think, in normal case, dealer would be happy help to customer,
but producer doesn't accept cover fees even after i have sent letters to Mr. Bernhard Maier(Head of Škoda Auto)

Situation with Latvian Škoda dealers is abnormal -
Karlo Motors, which worked 16 years, were pushed out from the market,
maybe they weren't happy on that.
Since 2017. october started new dealer Green Motors,
who don't take responsibility of cars not sold by them.

why they don't care about Škoda's reputation have no idea

this part were replaced under warranty even in Russia
https://www.drive2.com/l/486906905684345349/

My personal experience in over 40 years motoring including the last 13 years with Skoda, is that troubles often start when you give your car to dealer for a service or to fix something. Rare that it doesn't come out without other problems many of which you will not aware until a fair while later but were most likely caused by the dealer taking shortcuts/neglect/ignorance).

Hence my preference to diy.

Edited by xman

Having recently owned a high spec A6 Black Edition Ultra edition with lots of options I can give my view on this, I purchased new in 2014 at a heavly discounted price of £36500 compared to factory price of £47,000. The A6 is due for a replacement soon by Audi so I decided to hand back and get the Superb L&K 280 estate, once again I got this for a very good price against list.

Without a doubt, the Audi was the sexier looking car to drive as it had 20" wheels and Black line edition making it look sporty. It was only a 2 litre 190 diesel with S-Tronic and two wheel drive, the BiTurbo Quattro would have cost me around 55K which was too rich for my blood at the time.

The Superb cost me 32K with a high spec factory order with 4 wheel drive and a 280 Petrol engine, it also puts a little smile on my face when I decide to put my foot down.

I had the tech advanced pack for an upgraded MMI with larger screen but this was not on par with the touch screen system in my Superb due to resolution and old software (this was revised in the 2015 update but not significantly). The big flip out screen had massive potential to fail over time, there were several reports of out of warrantly failure with horrendous cost to fix. The MMI wheel and touchpad is a horrible and I never really got used to it in 3 years of ownership.

I also kept getting lots of sensor and other errors in the final year of ownership due to all the gizmos I specced which concerned me, I will probably have these on the Superb as a lot of these systems are similar but stadard spec now.

Quality wise it was higher quality then the Skoda, these are small things you notice in the showroom but when you start driving you forget about this i.e. leather on the centre console near your left leg, the skoda its plastic but how often do you look, same as around the bottom half of the doors.

The steering wheel was nicer in the Audi but this was due to it being more sporty, I actually prefer the seats in the Superb apart from they havent got the extending leg part. I found the Audi ones uncomfortable after 3 years on long trips (This may be more due to 20" wheels and sports suspension)

For me, what I got with the Skoda for the price outweighed the cost of slightly nicer quality and a badge.. The joy of the Skoda is I don't always get people trying to race and generally refusing to let you into a lane due to driving an Audi.

Don't get me wrong, my ultimate car is an RS6 as it gives you practicality and driver enjoyment, while I have a mortgage it would be lunacy for me to burn that amount of cash on a car that depreciates so heavily. I haven't once looked back and thought I missed my Audi... Well, apart from the full matrix LED's which were Superb.

Edited by Sw1

I had an A6 before the Superb and have to be honest will more than likely go back to another A6 again as I really miss it. Did try and buy it back after I traded it in but was sold the next day.  The superb is a good car but not one that I have really bonded with. The A6 I had for three years and no issues in 136k where as the Skoda has had numerous issues and has only done 46k in just under two years due to fact I had a Ford Ranger for the best part of last year. There isn't much in the prices at the moment as deals can be had between Audi & Skoda. For me the A6 is a class above and don't mind paying for that.

• Like 1