Is there an update coming ?

ktm690rr

7 hours ago, enor said:

The Ateca (and thus the Karoq) really isn't _that_ much bigger than the Yeti. I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Maybe it does not make much difference in Sweden, but in the UK there are many garages and public car parks with spaces designed for cars 30 years ago when cars were smaller.

Yeti is 4222mm long 1793mm wide, Karoq is 4382mm long, 1841mm wide

In UK standard parking space is 4.8m x 2.4m

In UK standard garage door width is 2.134m (old imperial 7 feet)

Basically the extra length makes it difficult to park in roadside spaces, and extra width makes it difficult to park in buildings, as won't be able to open door very far.

In the auto press some time ago there were pictures of the yeti replacement that were very close to what we now see as the karrot and  at the same time there was also photos/rumours of a smaller version which now appears to be the seat Arona so the Keti version may yet appear,who knows?

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Maybe it does not make much difference in Sweden, but in the UK there are many garages and public car parks with spaces designed for cars 30 years ago when cars were smaller.

Basically the extra length makes it difficult to park in roadside spaces, and extra width makes it difficult to park in buildings, as won't be able to open door very far.

Not to mention the phenomenal 10m turning circle.

1 hour ago, Ryeman said:

Not to mention the phenomenal 10m turning circle.

That's much more of a deciding factor for me than a couple of extra inches on the width.  I suspect, though, that the 6" extra length is a contributory factor to the larger turning circle of the Karoq.

None of my cars has ever lived in a garage - I have much more important things to keep in there!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

There is no significant difference between parking spaces/garage doors in Sweden vs the UK. They are designed for the same cars as the same kind of motors were popular over  here (save the Reliant Robin).

Karoq is 30 cms shorter than an Octavia, and this thread refers to it as a "truck sized beast"?

And an inch less available width per side isn't going to make a huge difference in opening angle for the doors - especially considering that the door itself is longer on the Yeti, due mainly to the backwards sloping design of the B pillar. Might not be important when you're parking next to another car, but if you're in a garage next to pillars and walls it surely comes into play.

I agree about the turning radius though - that's exceptional on the Yeti, and it's a shame to lose that.

On 08/07/2017 at 10:41, enor said:

Karoq is 30 cms shorter than an Octavia, and this thread refers to it as a "truck sized beast"?

One poster on this thread referred to it as such.  It would be an exaggeration to assume that every contributor shares exactly that view.

The fact remains, however, that the Karoq is bigger than the Yeti, especially noticeably so in length.  People for whom the Yeti's compact exterior combined with its useful interior space and configuration flexibility was a significant plus point can be forgiven for being disappointed that the Yeti's replacement doesn't share that combination of traits to the same degree.

Add the Karog's wider turning circle into the equation and it's clearly significantly less nimble and manoeuvrable than the Yeti.

• Like 1

People that want a Yeti sized vehicle will just need to stick with those built now until someone else builds something the same size if the market is there for them.

It would be good to see side by side Karoq / Yeti to scale.

a06f4b710c859cbff338abd43474682417d65dc5.jpg

Dimensions.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski

Must admit I'm liking the Karoq more and more. The side by side comparisons do make the Yeti look very dated.

Trouble is I know that a similarly specced Karoq is going to cost me more money, never mind the probable lack of 0% finance (certainly initially) that I took advantage of with the Yeti.  

On 07/07/2017 at 15:56, eribaMotters said:

Jaguar E pace is being revealed on the 13th July I believe. This should be VW Tiguan [ish] in size with lower spec models overlapping on price.

Might be worth a look.

Colin

OTR prices start at £28,500 - not sure about the looks. Front seems at variance with the rear. Rear looks Juke/Qashqai-esque.

Bill :)

I'll certainly be giving it a  look when I come to change. Apart from the F Type, which is too expensive for me, it's the first Jag for a long time that I fancy.

I think it's time that I moved away from VWG, after many years, and it would be good to go home designed and built, even if foreign owned. 

Apart from my wife's BMW  Mini the last British built car we've had was one of the original Minis which followed many other Austin/Morris/MG cars.

Edited by VAGCF

10 hours ago, VAGCF said:

I'll certainly be giving it a  look when I come to change. Apart from the F Type, which is too expensive for me, it's the first Jag for a long time that I fancy.

I think it's time that I moved away from VWG, after many years, and it would be good to go home designed and built, even if foreign owned. 

Apart from my wife's BMW  Mini the last British built car we've had was one of the original Minis which followed many other Austin/Morris/MG cars.

Apparently the E-pace is going to be built in Austria, so wont be able to claim home designed and built

I think my last British built car was a Peugeot 309, but the Ryton (South of Coventry) factory that used to be Hillman has been demolished, having ended its days building 205s

11 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Apparently the E-pace is going to be built in Austria, so wont be able to claim home designed and built

I think my last British built car was a Peugeot 309, but the Ryton (South of Coventry) factory that used to be Hillman has been demolished, having ended its days building 205s

Actually, I had a 309 GTI , which was a brilliant car, so that was my last British car. Didn't realise that!

Didn't know the E Pace  was going to be built in Austria. I'm going to give my neighbour some stick over that. He works for JLR and before it became foreign owned he commented on my Audi 80 Sport sitting in my driveway.

2 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

Actually, I had a 309 GTI , which was a brilliant car, so that was my last British car. Didn't realise that!

Didn't know the E Pace  was going to be built in Austria. I'm going to give my neighbour some stick over that. He works for JLR and before it became foreign owned he commented on my Audi 80 Sport sitting in my driveway.

Wouldn't Austria simply be a stepping stone to India in time......like China, it seems inevitable to me.

Edited by Ryeman