New DA polisher owner

tonyblue

I've managed to acquire a Xtreme dual action polisher, a cheap but effective tool for beginners (as per reviews). 

What I need is advice on what pad and polish combos people are using on their Skodas to remove light swirls. Will need a good backing plate as well. 

Cheers. 

I just used the standard backing plate and bought some pads off amazon 5" ones fit ok. I used Meguiars Ultimate compound to remove some fairly deep swirls on my black magic Fabia but needed a lot of effort could have done with a more aggressive compound. 

Went over with autoglym SRP and then finally some Poorboys black hole to fill any left over marks. Good coat of wax/sealant and it looked great for about 3 hours until it got all dusty again!

• Like 1

Choice of pad is critical but you should always start least abrasive first and work back 

I use chemical guys hexlogic quantum pads 

Megs ultimate compound is great or megs #105 is equally 

There is no miracle product it's a case of finding one you like and using that 

Megs and autoglym are good because halfords usually have 3for2 

I have a pdf.file that I can link you to if you want with all pad comparison and uses 

Edited by malcster
  • Like 2

totally agree with malc, hexlogic pads and start lightest first.

the sweep I find is the most important part, I tend to go about a 1cm a second and that seems to work nicely for me, but this is also dependant on cutting compound, pressure, RPMS on DA.

this is a great guide:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

if you can buy a scrap bonnet with scratches and swirls etc in it and use 3m tape,  tape it into sections and work on that, before you start on your car.

Edited by Gissin

23 minutes ago, Gissin said:

if you can buy a scrap bonnet with scratches and swirls etc in it and use 3m tape,  tape it into sections and work on that, before you start on your car.

Or use the wifes Corsa?