Towing with a VRS..?

Hi guys. 

I have just purchased my first Skoda and am looking forward to a healthy relationship. It's a black 05 mk1 Octavia VRS and has 82k on the clock. 

Anyway I have a small list of to do's and will slowly work through them on the forum and see if you guys are able to shed some light. 

Im planning on fitting a tow bar.... (don't hate me). 

I have a race car that needs towing from where it's stored to my work every now and then and unfortunately the Octavia will be my daily driver. It's only around 4 or 5 miles and maybe once a year it'll need a trip to a track for testing. 

Whats the Octavia like for towing? Any ideas? Any advice on which one to go for? I'd like a removable hitch if possible. 

Lastly (for this post at least) the car is lowered on h+r springs and I'd rather it not be as it's obviously not going to be great for towing. Do we think anyone would swap some standard springs for these ones? 

Thanks in advance guys. 

Marcus

I tow a 16ft boat with mine, power wise it is fine, make sure your rear springs and shocks are up to it though, if they are original they are likely to be knackered or quickly will be once you start towing.

As for pulling things, you'll be fine for a journey like that, the car will do it, but does get shoved around a bit due to it not being the largest in the world.

For towbars I got a westfalia swanneck one that did A3, golf and octavia, it was many £££ less than the sole octavia one. I'll try and find you a part number - think this is it westfalia 305222

check online for fitting instructions, it really is simple

also if you are handy with electrics you can get a golf towbar wiring adaptor and swap pins round to get an oe fit octavia one :)

Edited by STSKODA
spelling
  • Like 2

Ah ok so it's not a no no for towing then. That's a good start. I've fitted plenty of tow bars before but they're often hit and miss as to wether they actually fit nicely. 

When you say a golf wiring adapter... what do you mean and what makes it

Oe?

I know modern cars have a plug in unit that's inline with the standard loom at a plug break. That'd be nice but I'm assuming this is old school chopping wires by the tail lights? 

Thanks for the reply by the way. 

Marcus 

Edited by Marconi1982
Autocorrect

a witter golf mk4 wiring adaptor simply plugs in and piggy backs off the tail light clusters

a wee bit of fettling with a wiring loom pick lets you swap the connections around to what they are on an octavia - mine was around £30

save having to cut into the loom

Oh I see. That sounds like a better idea than having to use them scotch lock things. Any idea why it's only the mk4 gold that uses it? Also do you know which wires it is that need swapping around? 

Good info that. 

No-one ever answered the "which version" question. I'd go for a TDi 110 (red i)  or 130 (red Di ) because they've got better midrange and peak torque than anything else except the vRS and that will only do about 30mpg solo.

And good call on avoiding the Bodge er Scotchlocks!

the "which question" was for what towbar to get - he already has the car

tbh any towbar will do - I got the swanneck westfalia one to minimise cutting of the bumper, also think they look better than a flange one but that's just imho

Yeah I'm not really worried what tow bar it is other than preferring a removable one but I guess I was more interested in finding one that has more simple wiring.

It seems this mk4 golf adapter would be the best option but I can seem to find them for sale??