The new Yeti, the Karoq

Pictishloon

The new Yeti is coming shortly, but it is no longer called the Yeti, as you know, it is being called the KAROQ. Why the name change? Well it’s entirely political, but the KAROQ  is exactly the same as the Yeti, with a few updates obviously.

The Yeti has been Skoda’s most popular model ever, and owners VW want to sell even more in other countries. China is a huge untapped market, but under the current model name of ‘Yeti’, Skoda wouldn’t sell very many Yetis in China. Why not?

Well  China shares its border with Himalayan countries, Nepal and Bhutan among others. The 'Yeti' is said to be found in the Himalayas, but the Bhutanese people and the Chinese people do not like each other, in fact The Kingdom of Bhutan and the People’s Republic of China do not maintain official diplomatic relations. So to expand into the lucrative Chinese market, VW and Skoda had to change the name from Yeti, because their research had told them that the Chinese simply wouldn’t buy a car with the name Yeti, as the name is associated with their neighbour who some would call their ‘enemy’.

Hence the new name of Karoq, which is apparently a combination of two words from the language of the Alutiiq tribe from Alaska, ‘car’ and ‘arrow.’

I think I will be having a Karoq when the time comes to replace my 2016 Yeti as the new Kodiaq is a wee bit too big for me.

Pictishloon

You should try for a job with Skoda as a Media / Spin doctor and just make out that models were more successful for sales than they actually were.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/435636-the-new-yeti 

Skoda sell 4 times as many Octavia and twice as many Fabia as Yeti.

Even more Rapid world wide.

My mistake on the 850,000 yeti. 

it was under 600,000 a year ago they were saying. 580,000

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/411447-high-demand-for-yeti-continues-as-skoda-expands-factory-capacity 

Edited by Awayoffski

On 16/07/2017 at 13:22, Pictishloon said:

The new Yeti is coming shortly, but it is no longer called the Yeti, as you know, it is being called the KAROQ. Why the name change? Well it’s entirely political, but the KAROQ  is exactly the same as the Yeti, with a few updates obviously.

The Yeti has been Skoda’s most popular model ever, and owners VW want to sell even more in other countries. China is a huge untapped market, but under the current model name of ‘Yeti’, Skoda wouldn’t sell very many Yetis in China. Why not?

Well  China shares its border with Himalayan countries, Nepal and Bhutan among others. The 'Yeti' is said to be found in the Himalayas, but the Bhutanese people and the Chinese people do not like each other, in fact The Kingdom of Bhutan and the People’s Republic of China do not maintain official diplomatic relations. So to expand into the lucrative Chinese market, VW and Skoda had to change the name from Yeti, because their research had told them that the Chinese simply wouldn’t buy a car with the name Yeti, as the name is associated with their neighbour who some would call their ‘enemy’.

Hence the new name of Karoq, which is apparently a combination of two words from the language of the Alutiiq tribe from Alaska, ‘car’ and ‘arrow.’

I think I will be having a Karoq when the time comes to replace my 2016 Yeti as the new Kodiaq is a wee bit too big for me.

Pictishloon

What tosh...

Like the last sentence tho!

On 7/16/2017 at 13:22, Pictishloon said:

Rubbish!

More utter rubbish! 

If that was the case how come Skoda have been selling Yeti's in China for a couple of years?

I suggest you need to read the Press releases linked to in this section of the Forum.

Pictishloon

The only sensible comment here.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Been away for some while and now without a Skoda, or any other VAG produced mode of transport, however after seeing adds for the Yeti replacement I feel disappointed that its just another dull unimaginative box.

Skoda seem to have long lost their flare for individual design, such as the diesel only Fabia vRS, Roomster and the original (proper) Yeti.

Regards to all,

The Plumber

• Like 1

All well and good being quirky even practical but not much good if all these people that are enthusiastic are not buying these vehicles, 

and the Roomster never sold well and no matter how Skoda spin it neither did the Yeti over the 8 year life.

Diesel only Fabia vRS were rather special in their time but never sold in any volume, and then the petrol / DSG Mk2 was even less popular.

Even the supposedly successful Mk2 Fabia Monte Carlo in Petrol & Diesel but with no more than 105ps & only manual were a sales flop, 

overpriced and needed 'special' editions to allow Skoda to reduce the price and get more sold.

?

Where is the great Dr Winfried Vahland now?  Punted quick after the Diesel Scandal, 

promoted off to the US to head VW and quickly resigned from VW, maybe a knock on the door soon, because he was not Deaf, Dumb & Blind ]

and must have known what vehicles he signed off.

Not just a Salesperson / Accountant, an actual engineer, understanding 'Defeat Devices'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winfried_Vahland 

(At least after announcing the end of the Fabia vRS sales picked up, as they did with the Yeti, but then many were being First Registered & VW owned them.)

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/skoda-will-kill-fabia-vrs 

THE ENGINE WAS VERY EXPENSIVE FOR SKODA, JUST BECAUSE THEY NEVER DID PROPER R&D & USED CRAP CONSUMABLES AS WELL AS COMPONENTS,

UNDER 3,000 VEHICLES SOLD IN THE UK AND OVER 1,000 REPLACEMENT ENGINES FITTED, 

SOME CARS WITH 3 ENGINES FITTED, THE FACTORY ONE, A REPLACEMENT, & THEN THAT REPLACED AS WELL. 

ALSO IN SISTER CARS FROM VW, SEAT & AUDI & THEY SOLD EVEN LESS THAN THE SKODA IN THE UK & WORLD WIDE.

As for sporty looks, show and no go, that is Skoda's errors, go rallying and have motorsport success and talk about heritage, 

rally a Fabia S2000 & then a R5 and only sell in showrooms All New 3rd Generations with up to 110ps.

Now the quickest ones with a 1.0TSI engine, never a showroom one with AWD yet call them Scout or Scout-line.

& Monte Carlo as a trim level is just taking the pith IMO.

Shape / Outline of a Yeti was not going to be a Hybrid or EV, yet funnily Kia do the Soul as an EV.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/insider/skoda-boss-were-building-hybrids-not-rally-cars 

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Suppose that's why I left the brand, well apart from the current seat designs lack of support/comfort, along with the offset pedal box on the RHD MQB platforms, which both make for an uncomfortable drive (for me), their cars are more then ever clones of the VW line-up, in an effort to cut costs and attract more, if you like, mainstream and fleet owners.

My take on it  :D

TP

Nail on head.

Not many manufacturers can produce cars people do not want to buy, then produce updated versions that people might not want to buy.

Lots of oddballs like Fiat Multipla and other Fuglies were what some wanted but had to die off.

Suzuki Jimny now has the Metal Body unchanged since 1998 and is eventually being replaced.

Sells in small numbers, in Europe & other world regions,

but Suzuki still managed to make a profit from building and selling,  the VW Group makes small profits on selling many.

And Skoda & SEAT are not volume sellers in the VW Group.

• Like 1