2.0 TSI in Kodiaq vs 1.8 TSI in Octavia

Thinking of changing my Octavia Estate L&K for the Kodiaq Edition so wonder what I can expect from the 2.0 TSI in the Kodiaq compared with the 1.8 TSI in my Octavia which is such a willing engine and so quiet.

All advice and tips will be gratefully received.

Hello once again !

I seem to have got into the habit of changing my cars every three years so no surprise that I'm looking for the next adventure over the next 4/5 months. I have found it hard to fault the O3 L&K version (plus a few tasty extras) so with a mileage of only 17000 miles it is hardly run in !  Like you I had to wait a long while for delivery so I will need to make a decision pretty soon as to what make and model of car I will order. 

The Kodiaq has always been on my mind since the concept car was first seen and now in the flesh it is a hard car to beat and is my benchmark for other contenders. My requirements are very simple in that it must be a 5 seat petrol driven SUV with a good turn of speed and a boot to match the O3 estate so that our golf clubs fit easily across the back without the need for rear seats down. Oh, and it must have all of the current goodies just like the O3 L&K and fit into the garage. I don't think that is too much to ask for do you !!

I have already eliminated the VW Tiguan, Audi Q3 and Rav4 Hybrid due to lack of boot space and price. Others I have looked at only have a diesel engine or very poor performance and these are the Ford Kuga , Ford Edge, Mitsubishi Outlander and Vovo XC60 (too expensive). I have not tried a Seat Alteca but there is no dealer close to us and I think it would fall down on the space criteria. 

I must say that the Karoq could be a contender as well but once again looks a similar size to Tiguan and Alteca.

I will look forward to your postings by which time I might need to make a decision once I know current delivery times so good luck with your adventure.

• Like 1

Coming from an O3 Tsi vRS Obviously its not as quick.

But I will say the 2.0 Tsi Kodiaq is quieter and perfectly adequate power wise and  willing to rev.

Due to (presumably) euro emissions regs, it can feel a bit lethargic, but once you learn to get what you want from it, it is quick enough for the type of vehicle.

I think it may well benefit from a throttle pedal box to give a more linear response from the throttle and overcome the above.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sussexvet said:

I must say that the Karoq could be a contender as well but once again looks a similar size to Tiguan and Alteca

I had a chat with a senior Skoda sales guy and he would largely agree with you. As per the standard Skoda approach, he expects some "simply clever" space tricks to be performed giving some more space than the Tiguan and Ateca.

It seems to me that if the Tiguan/Ateca is just a little too tight, the Karoq may be "just right".

I like the Kodiaq but I also know I don't ever need to have 7 seats. If my 3 dogs can get in the back of the Karoq and I have 5 good seats then it will be a contender too.

• Like 1

Just to respond to MrGrump and TheRobinK my current car is an Oct3 L&K with a 1.8 TSI engine so not a Vrs and that is the reason for requiring to compare the two engines. Also as advised by TheRobinK I do not want a 7 seater so very pleased when SKODA added the 5 seat versions.

In terms of the 5 seat SEL and Edition does anybody know why it is not possible to have a raised floor whereas it is available in the 7 seat versions.

8 hours ago, sussexvet said:

Hello once again !

I seem to have got into the habit of changing my cars every three years so no surprise that I'm looking for the next adventure over the next 4/5 months. I have found it hard to fault the O3 L&K version (plus a few tasty extras) so with a mileage of only 17000 miles it is hardly run in !  Like you I had to wait a long while for delivery so I will need to make a decision pretty soon as to what make and model of car I will order. 

The Kodiaq has always been on my mind since the concept car was first seen and now in the flesh it is a hard car to beat and is my benchmark for other contenders. My requirements are very simple in that it must be a 5 seat petrol driven SUV with a good turn of speed and a boot to match the O3 estate so that our golf clubs fit easily across the back without the need for rear seats down. Oh, and it must have all of the current goodies just like the O3 L&K and fit into the garage. I don't think that is too much to ask for do you !!

I have already eliminated the VW Tiguan, Audi Q3 and Rav4 Hybrid due to lack of boot space and price. Others I have looked at only have a diesel engine or very poor performance and these are the Ford Kuga , Ford Edge, Mitsubishi Outlander and Vovo XC60 (too expensive). I have not tried a Seat Alteca but there is no dealer close to us and I think it would fall down on the space criteria. 

I must say that the Karoq could be a contender as well but once again looks a similar size to Tiguan and Alteca.

I will look forward to your postings by which time I might need to make a decision once I know current delivery times so good luck with your adventure.

No, honest I haven't lost the plot or me marbles but I have just bought my wife a ( shhh whisper it on this forum at least ) Kia Sportage, ok it's not new or top spec but it's well put together has the balance of it 7 year warranty ( so on ours it runs out 21/07/2021 !! ) and being a lowly 1.7 diesel 2 wheel drive it seems to be fairly economical and with 30k on it any faults ought to long sorted and ironed out ( under £12000 kinda tipped the balance a bit too, priced up against its rivals it becomes a bit of a no brainer )

• 1 month later...
On 16/07/2017 at 19:13, sussexvet said:

Thinking of changing my Octavia Estate L&K for the Kodiaq Edition so wonder what I can expect from the 2.0 TSI in the Kodiaq compared with the 1.8 TSI in my Octavia which is such a willing engine and so quiet.

I've got the Kodiaq now, only done 200 miles in the first week so a bit early for comparisons.

I can tell the ECU is still adjusting, there was a bit of flat spot when cold that has now gone away, and it the first tank was supermarket fuel so not the best.

I've got a decent run tomorrow with 4 adults in and I am going to top up with Shell now, so it will be half a tank of supermarket and half a tank of Shell.

I'll let you know how it feels after there are some miles on it, but feels perfectly adequate at the moment coming from the CR150 diesel in the O3.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/07/2017 at 19:13, sussexvet said:

Got 1300 miles on the clock now, and done a good mix of driving including 6 adults with the 3rd row of seats in use which it coped admirably with.

The 2.0TSi is comparable power wise to the 2.0CR in the Octavia, it took a while to get used to driving petrol again and not having that huge shove of torque from just above idle, but the engine is quiet, smooth and revs quite nicely. It has a bit of a rasp/grunt if you give it some welly as well :)

I seem to be averaging about 35mpg, the best I have had on a run is just over 40mpg, but the fuel economy is getting better as the engine loosens up. The 'flat spot' has completely disappeared, I can only assume the ECU and DSG have adjusted somewhat to my driving style now.

Happy I went for the petrol, I drove a 2.0CR Superb the other day and thought it was noisy and unrefined in comparison, and a 1.4TSi O3 FL, which revs very freely but does run out of steam on hills at motorway speeds. I didn't like the FL O3, it felt like stepping back in time LOL after being in the Kodiaq and the suspension is still as awful over rough surfaces as the early O3's, you would have thought they would have sorted that back end by now but obviously not. The Superb was on a par comfort wise with the Kodiaq but felt dated TBH.

Edited by andyvee

Hi Andy,

Thanks for providing your experience since delivery of your Kodiaq.  As always you provide a genuine report of both the good and bad and for my benefit the engine performance. Have you posted any pics like you did 3 years ago in dimly lit supermarket  covered car parks ?

Since communicating with you earlier I have taken a major decision with regard to my next car.  Until recently my first choice was the 2.0TSi  KODIAQ as you have purchased but with very little discount being offered either direct with dealerships and the likes of CARWOW I have decided to buy a VW TIGUAN  (shock horror !).

The best discount through CARWOW for the KODIAQ was less than £1,000 so still about £32,000 with a few added options. I was surprised to find out that CARWOW were able to obtain a good discount on the current VW TIGUAN SEL 2.0TSi DSG AWD so that with an additional £1,500 manufacturer deposit contribution for PCP a total discount of £4,500 has been achieved for a net cost of £29,300 which calculates to a 13.3% discount.

The specs for the two cars are similar but the only compromise of significance I have made is that the TIGUAN is about 9 inches shorter so less boot space but very similar bells and whistles. The good thing is that performance should be similar to your car with the 2.0TSi DSG petrol engine so I will have to see how that compares with my Octavia which had the 1.8TSI DSG petrol engine. 

I am now at the same stage as three years ago with my car placed with the factory and waiting for a build date and a hopeful end of November delivery. 

After two SKODA cars I can say that I have been very happy apart from the DPF problems on my Superb. The Octavia has been a dream to drive and unexpectedly I have sold it already privately through Autotrader at a price 28% higher than the VW dealer trade in price. Only downside is I have to be kind to my wife to borrow her JUKE  for the next couple of months.

1 hour ago, robwheeler said:

I'd be interested to know what the oil consumption is like on the 2.0TSI's as that's one of the reasons I've been put off the petrol engines in the past.

It doesn't use oil. You are thinking of the 2.0 TFSI like in my old MkII VRS which used a fair bit of oil. 

11 hours ago, robwheeler said:

I'd be interested to know what the oil consumption is like on the 2.0TSI's as that's one of the reasons I've been put off the petrol engines in the past.

Apart from the one service in 3 years and 18k miles I didn't put in any oil.

• Like 1