Superb or Passat

20 minutes ago, eurotraveller said:

Which is very odd, because 280ps TSI 4MOTION is certainly available in LHD.

I love the new infotainment system / dash layout – more than that of the Superb. I’d go for it (given the 280 option) if it weren’t for the Superb’s clincher, which is the legroom.

There's also a 3.6 V6 available in the US and Canada. 

Yes, weirdly also with 280hp. I guess it fits the lazy, slow driving-style that prevails in North America – giving a feel of effortlessness. It’s clearly not suitable for the European market where downsizing and maximum efficiency are king.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eurotraveller said:

Yes, weirdly also with 280hp. I guess it fits the lazy, slow driving-style that prevails in North America – giving a feel of effortlessness. It’s clearly not suitable for the European market where downsizing and maximum efficiency are king.

Indeed.  I worked with a DoD contractor several years ago who had a 2006 Golf GTI DSG as a lease car, he also had his beloved V8 Mustang GT imported into the UK and he fought tooth and nail to try and convince us the 'mighty V8' was much quicker than the puny 197bhp TFSI in the Golf; a look at the stats on paper as well as a back to back test drive convinced me otherwise.   I've been telling my wife for years that bigger isn't always best :D

2 hours ago, eurotraveller said:

if it weren’t for the Superb’s clincher, which is the legroom.

I presume you you mean in the rear, as the front isn't great. 

My last Passat - 2013 B7 - had lots of legroom in the front, much more than the current Passat, or the Superb. 

22 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

I presume you you mean in the rear, as the front isn't great. 

How do you define legroom in the front?  You can have as much as you like, it just depends where you set your seating position :cool:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, simhub said:

How do you define legroom in the front?  You can have as much as you like, it just depends where you set your seating position :cool:

My seat is as far back as it will go and I don't have as much as I would like. 

I had the choice of a Passat SE Business Edition saloon or Superb SE-L estate (or the usual Mondeo, Insignia etc). Passat was nice but didn't seem to represent the same value, and I preferred the chiselled look of the Skoda opposed to mundane look of the VW. Personal opinion but I couldn't tell any quality difference between the two cars and i genuinely preferred the interior design of the Skoda too. That said, if I'd been given a Passat I'm sure I would be just as happy in truth.

I test drove both cars about 2 years ago, when I had the same option that is the subject of this topic.

Test drove them both a lot. Meaning that I had both cars for 1 week.

Both cars had 1.4 TSI 110kw engines.

Truth be told, both of the cars had their ups and downs.

The S3 generation Superb is and propably will remain the best model Skoda has ever built, atleast in my opinion. Good looking, rather cheap and supremely practical. When usual Audi fans are changing their Audi´s for new S3´s , Skoda has done something incredible. Which illuminates the example more-so is the fact that how much time it took to get the car? In Estonia I waited for 8 months to get my car. At the moment you will get your Kodiaq in 2-4 months. 

Passat on the other hand is the same in my opinion. They changed the body a little, but it still reminds a lot of the earlier version of the car.

Practicality wise they are both pretty good. Superb is bigger and looks super good. Passat is usual VW in it´s goodness. What I will say is that interior quality and material quality for Passat is much more better. But atleast in Estonia you will pay 4-5k EUR more for the same car. So for me it pretty much was a no-brainer, take a car that looks superior and also gives me the practicality or pay so much more for a car that has few pro´s and much more con´s for me.
I chose the Superb, and still to date I´m really satisfied with everything except material quality and new-body issues :).

• Like 1