Recall on 2009 Octavia VRS. ABS/ESC control module

1 hour ago, OGvRS08 said:

Are some models having additional work done to other (depending on age, model, etc...) I had my ABS update done yesterday, it took a little over 30 mins including the free wash and vac?

They did a 40 point check and gave me a printout, only ABS update, test drive and wash.

• Like 1

Whether they did check all this I have no idea but the tyre depths are spot on, hey took it on a 5 mile test drive so probably checked most stuff out then.

WP_20170831_16_11_28_Pro.jpg

How bizarre, as soon as I just posted that picture the dealers called me literally within 5 minutes to see if everything was Ok since the update, can't fault that, very professional and the coffee was great ;-)

Maybe a coincidence but either way top service!

• Like 1

Excellent service and how they should all do it,  give the customer something as they are giving their time and the VW Group are paying the dealerships anyway.

No blatant up-selling, just do the Safety Critical Recall Actions and maybe the customer will trust them and give them service and maintenance work or even car purchases in the future.

Simply clever and much more clever than a phone call or letter saying 'there is a recall', and then not telling the cars owner very much more.

• Like 1

Skoda in T Wells did mine on Friday just gone. I had told them that the ABS and traction control until was already failing and that I was aware of the recall...

They replaced the entire unit for me, parts and labour for free. They had to keep the car over the weekend but gave me brand new 17 plate 4x4 yeti to play with for the weekend.

Pretty good service all in all!

My car went into today for it's recall. Took 1hr and 10mins. I made it very clear what I wanted from this update and that I didn't want any EMISSIONS update what so ever. Everythink went smoothly and I'm very happy its done.

As a side note for those yet to have work done....... before i signed the paperwork for the work to be completed i was made aware that in some cases during the system update, it can cause the ABS warning light to show up "permimately". They said if this happens i wouldn't be getting my car back today, as they would need to change the main ABS module unit thingy and it would need ordering in. This part costs a wooping £1000 plus. But would be covered under the warranty, of course it would be....phew!!. So bare that in mind guys, I actually wished the light would have come on so I get a nice new shiny expensive part;)

Jobs a gooden :)

5 hours ago, UniqueTimes said:

My car went into today for it's recall. Took 1hr and 10mins. I made it very clear what I wanted from this update and that I didn't want any EMISSIONS update what so ever. Everythink went smoothly and I'm very happy its done.

As a side note for those yet to have work done....... before i signed the paperwork for the work to be completed i was made aware that in some cases during the system update, it can cause the ABS warning light to show up "permimately". They said if this happens i wouldn't be getting my car back today, as they would need to change the main ABS module unit thingy and it would need ordering in. This part costs a wooping £1000 plus. But would be covered under the warranty, of course it would be....phew!!. So bare that in mind guys, I actually wished the light would have come on so I get a nice new shiny expensive part;)

Jobs a gooden :)

I was a  bit like that, let it  fail and get me a new one but the service manager said he had only actually heard of one that needed replacing, guess it's a precaution  measure.

My car went into D M Keith in Hull for this update, when i booked the car in i made the lady on the phone aware that under no circumstances was the emissions update to be undertaken, i was told that the emissions update was optional.  When i took the car in the work sheet had an item listed on it that ( in orange highlighter)that no emissions update was to be undertaken.

Update to the ABS took about 40 mins, all very efficient, was offered a wash and vac which i declined as i was in a hurry.

• 1 month later...

2008 Scout TDi.

Received Skoda recall notice for ABS software update August 2017.

Put car in to supplying dealer 18/08/17; "ABS software update recall carried out"

All was well until 02/10/17 when I got the following:

Beeper sounded 3 times on switch-on

Handbrake light continuously flashing

Traction control warning, ABS warning continuously lit.

I was up a mountain in Spain at the time!

Drove home cautiously; put the car back in to the same dealership on 10/10/17

The MOT was due the same day, so I didn't have many options.

Result: a bill for £1050 for a new ABS control unit and fitting.

So: no problem with ABS or other systems in 9 years motoring. All servicing up-to-date. 

Obeyed manufacturer's recall notice.

6 weeks / 1500 miles later, major fault indicated by ABS software, requiring a new control module.

Coincidence? Am I being cynical about VAG software? Is it worth my approaching Skoda UK?

That's some bad luck johnfindall.... the control unit shouldn't have cost u a penny. Its part of the recall... if/when skoda do the update, there is a chance it will cause the ABS light to remain on. I was told in this instance (before any work was done) if this was to happen i wont get the car back on the same day as i new control unit will have to be ordered and fitted and that it would be completely free. Unlucky for me the ABs light didnt come on. So why you got a £1050 bill i dont no. Id certainly be on to skoda giving them a few choice word's personally.

• 2 months later...
On 23/08/2017 at 01:41, SeanF said:

Nope seller didn't have the recall letter and didn't mention it either. I test drove it twice, a week apart... first time for an hour second time for 2 hours with a break in between to check the engine all over and all seemed fine. I put fuel in an hour later and then had an engine management light come on and then a week later the ABS and traction control lit up and it flashed brake failure at me too...

Took it to my mechanic for diagnostic and checked and test drove it plugged in. All sensors are functioning properly and it all points to the control unit and pump...

I've only had it just over a week so the previous owner may not even have received a recall letter yet!

I checked the VIN with Skoda earlier on their website and it said that a recall had been issued for the car...phoned my local Skoda dealership and told them and they've taken details and I'm now waiting for them to phone me back... 

check you F16 fuse and fusebox under the bonnet.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys. Wanted to add to this thread i started 10 months ago as i have a reaccuring issue relating to the recall on the ABS software update . I assume majority of those affected here by the recall have had all there work by now. But have any of you which only had the software update had any issues since???

I today started my car ready to drive to work as normal when instantly as the car started i had 3 loud audible beeps and my ABS light and ESP light came on solid, along with a flashing handbrake light as well. My first thought was maybe its a speed sensor (not thinking "recall" as i was still half a sleep lol). I drove the car to work absolutley fine with the lights still visable. The car was then sat for around 8 hours before i left work. The problem (lights n beeps) remained when i started the car to drive home and stayed on. I have a friend who has a very capable Diagnostics tool worth 15k that he has access to via his work, i had him plug in for me and run a check.... The fault which appeared was the following......

#16352 Control module faulty.

#DTC Logged Enviromental Condition

Now this fault from my research is the control module that id hoped would have failed when Skoda did the software update. Skoda at the time told me the update could cause this module to throw up a perminate light on the dashboard, and that if it did they would replace it under the recall as well (i was gutted that it didnt fail at the time as they said its a £1000 part). Well it has failed now in my eyes.

So I have 2 questions for you all, but bare in mind first that my mate has cleared the codes and jump the gun a bit, and there is now no fault or lights showing... but i do have pictures on my phone with relevant details of the fault and my cars details on the same screen.

Q Will skoda replace this part without them seeing the fault with there own eyes and tools? But still act on my pictures alone for proof of the fault ( pictures that show my cars milage and chassis number on the same page as the fault code )

And or....

Q If they could see the lights ect with there own eye's and tools (say they dont accept the previous Q above) will they still replace it under the recall? even though the software update was 10 months ago. 

Id appriciate any advice or tips on this matter. Im kinda in the mindset now they wont accept my pictures and im gonna have to wait for the lights n fault to reappear. But But But ya never know :)

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

@UniqueTimes

I’ve had he same lights on since Feb and as yet have not had a diagnostic done.

Car was taken for the recall by previous owner the day I collected it last September.

Just curious if the issue has re-occurred since having the code cleared and whether the ABS and ESC worked as normal once cleared?

Thanks

Matt

@spunjedd

Nope nothing has reacured since clearing the fault, no lights or beeps... nothing. Driverbility hasn't changed either, everthink feels just as it should do. 

Sorry for the late reply Matt.

Edited by UniqueTimes
Spelling

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/07/2018 at 16:18, Spunjedd said:

@UniqueTimes

Hopefully just a bit of a glitch then. I’ll get it read and reset and hope for the best. See how we get on mate.

Cheers. 

Well doesn't appear to be a glitch matey. All my lights have reappeared today :( 

I have been to skoda today also, and managed to get them to plug in and confirm it was the ABS / ESP Control Module... but wait for it,...they did it for FREE!!  Whoop whoop lol. I am now in talks with them in regards to having the part replace for FREE. I will find out more tomorrow. But what i do no is and remember at the time of the software update, they did tell me id be covered if the lights appeared right there n then. My issue is im 10 months after that update was done, ive a warranty receipt for the update as proof plus ill be on the system. But how far does this warranty cover me, i dont mean in time but actual replacement parts id be covered for off the back of a software update of this type. At the moment im unsure what the out come will be, but im a fighter and in my opinion there are to many links with the module itself and the software update that i cant not fight it at nearly £1200 for the part, so trust I'm going the whole hog. I have few angles to try to bacsicly force a free replacement but were see. I will return here as i learn more and ultimately tell you all what the out come was. 

Well in short, 

Nope skoda is refusing :swear:. So Im taking it to the motor ombudsmen now as a last ditch attempt, see what they say and see if its an avenue worth looking down. If i fail in that quest then unfortunately im gonna have to sort it by other means. And currently my only option is having my abs control unit reconditioned, im avoiding a scrapyard part at the moment. A new part ya cant get anywhere other than main dealer, for £740 +VAT. Reconditioned im looking at £200.

Only just seen this mate.

Great. Looks like I’ll be having an argument then too. A (at the time) 9 year old car that had never had an issue, now gets a problem a few months after a software update, that was supposed to prevent a problem?!

Thanks for letting me know fella

Matt