1.4 engine HP 138 v 148

Hi all,

Looking to change my 2010 1.4 tsi for a newer model. noted on Auto  Trader that the later (post 2013) models have 2 power ratings listed, 138 hp or 148 hp?

Just wondering if this is due to an engine change at some point....and if so what changes were made and when did they "switch...

many thanks for any replies......

2 minutes ago, TTodorov said:

Check if the 138hp is the famous twin charged engine, if so, avoid it.Has many records for issues.

1.4 TSI 148hp is the better one

The twin charger was never used in the Mk3 Octavia so no need to worry about it. In fact I'm fairly sure VAG ditched the engine a while ago now. 

No twin charger TSi engines in the Octavia 3. The output change was purely to compensate for the emissions reg change euro5 to 6.

1.2 TSi had a similar change 105ps to 110ps.

These engines are belt drive cam, not chain like the MK2 engines. Long life belt, 100k miles + changes.

• Thanks 1

Interested to know.

Is it believed that there really is a 10 bhp difference between the  two versions?

Guessing that if it is there it's probably right at the top of the rev range - the bit most commonly accessed in works cars and rentals.

I would like to believe there is a genuine difference as I have the later version myself.

can't even find any torque diagrams online... if there's no torque difference (which I suspect there isn't as it's software-capped anyway) then there will be close to zero performance difference *if* everything else remains the same.

- Bret

The only difference is the ACT cylinder shut off camshaft valve gear on the top of the engine & software...

The 140PS on super makes over 150 easy..I know someone on the MK7 Golf forum did a before & after on his & the car was a good 30% towards the quoted remap figure..just because he was running on super & the engines are underrated by VAG..

12 hours ago, gregoir said:

Yes afaik. I pay £30 for my 2016 EU6 148hp version.  But the tax regime has changed this year and its now £140 iirc.

I also pay £30 for my 2015 EU5 138hp version :biggrin:

Engines are not 'Under-rated' by the VW Group.

They have to sell as ' Minimum performance'  output, because not every vehicle sold world wide is running as in the UK in ideal environmental conditions, 

ie below 4,000 ft above sea level and at ambient temps between -25*oC and a max 40*oC say.

World wide sales often, to countries with High Altitude Roads, High and low ambient temperatures or humidity's etc.

And a 140ps or 150ps engine should make that power output which shows as a maximum but has to be a minimum.

So in ideal UK conditions as EU tests on 95 ron that can be exceeded, as it might well be on 97 ron, 99 ron or 100/102 ron.

In South Africa, Australia, South America , North America you might have VW Group and other manufacturers sell what is Down Tuned versions 

of what is a European Hot hatch due to the environmental and available fuel differences, ie, GTI / R's.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel 

Edited by Awayoffski

13 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

The only difference is the ACT cylinder shut off camshaft valve gear on the top of the engine & software...

I was under the impression ACT has only just now been started to be offered after the facelift?

EU6 was a necessity for all new cars registered after 1.1.2016 if I remember correctly.

- Bret

13 minutes ago, brettikivi said:

I was under the impression ACT has only just now been started to be offered after the facelift?

EU6 was a necessity for all new cars registered after 1.1.2016 if I remember correctly.

- Bret

My MY16 Octavia doesn't have ACT - I believe that they started putting it on the 1.4 from MY17.

VAG have had the ACT 1.4lt 150PS for a couple of years now..just depends which brand model etc gets it fist...the Golf has had it for 2yrs now..

There are some 150PS without the ACT, but that's just ECU software...as all the 140 & 150 have the same turbo etc..

I'll clarify the underrated..

I am fully aware that VAG make cars to cope with various grades of fuels & altitude...so  a "minimum" is specified...

"".spanner in the works""..... my old AUB engine Fabia stated 100bhp on super98 ron..anything less & you get reduced output...

Just that here in UK on super unleaded & in other countries using super unleaded the 140 in the MK7 Golf gives more than 150BHP when dyno'd..so the same will apply to the Octavia..

Edited by fabdavrav

Didn't think any mk3 Octavias have ever had ACT. Only on the Superb and Golf, Leon.

New 1.5 TSi is now replacing the 1.4.

ACT isn't just software, it's different camshafts also to allow the cylinder shutoff.

Edited by glosrich

1.4TSI ACT / 1.4TFSI COD 140 / 150 ps engines are not exactly rocket science just VW Group engineering,  

but then not relevant to a Skoda Octavia 1.4TSI 140 /150ps anyway,

Lets see how the 1.5TSI ACT does when Skoda gets that eventually, as the other models will eventually.

Obviously it will differ again, and maybe not have Implausible / Irregular / cheating of the actual Co2 g/km unlike some of the Euro 5 & Euro 6's had..& have.

ie,

what CEO's  / Senior Management & engineers of VW, Audi & SEAT signed off as being acceptable to fit to their models while knowing the EU testing was less than honest.

Edited by Awayoffski