DSG...feels a little rough

Hi Guys first time back since leaving skoda many years ago,  and now back in a Spaceback SE Sport 14tdi DSG (66 Reg)

we love the wee car and its great to drive but there is just one wee thing that bugs us,  we've never had a DSG so unsure if this is just the way they are...

the gears change up really smooth and you cant even feel it changing gear,  but when its slowing down like coming up to a set of lights just about 10-20 mph it kinda just feels like it gives a sudden jerk and it very rough changes down from 3rd to 2nd gear, it feels like it just to neutral mid change kinda feeling and its really noticable

is there anyone else with a 1.4 DSG?  are they smooth changing down when nearly at a stop? or are they just like that?

its booked in to Skoda in Glasgow but they cant take it till the 22nd,  and on the phone already getting "ohhhh we've never heard of that..."

thanks in advance ;-)

I have the 125PS 1.4 with 7-speed DSG. I know what you mean - that downshift is noticeable, though in my case I don't find it especially unpleasant or disconcerting.
Please do let us know what they have to say about it on 22nd.

Welcome,

so where is the person on the Service Desk that has never heard of that before, Henry's, Arnold Clark?

What the phone answer person knows counts for nowt, it is what a Trained & Qualified Technician will know that matters.

?

How long have you had the car, and how many miles done, and have you had it from new?

thanks for your reply's,

its booked in to Henrys as its not far from work, its been ages since we've had a newish car and had to deal with dealers,

the car was parks of Hamiltons ex demo and we've only had it since may its had just over 7k when we picked it up and its sitting about 9.5k miles atm, its done it since we got it but its very noticeable, I was out in it tonight and it deffo bugs me,

will keep you guys posted once its been in

thanks for replying

• Like 1

Henrys have been getting pretty poor reviews recently.

Hopefully a tech will drive it see if he or she can feel anything amiss and check fault codes.

Maybe a 'reset' will have it performing a little bit smoother.

I am pretty sure that unless the Tech was born yesterday they will have had in a DQ200 DSG not performing exactly as the highly trained engineers designed it to.

OT from the DSG, 

but,  

is your 1.4TDI one that is due the Service Campaign / Recall action to change the Coolant?

Best check with Henrys service desk before the car is due in, 

if the person on the phone says that they have never heard of the likes maybe get them to talk to someone with a computer keyboard and a clue.

• 2 weeks later...

well its away to dealer this afternoon (they asked to have it in over night to drive it when cold)

my dad dropped it off and tbh were not really expecting much to come off it,  been years since we've had a newish car and dealings with a dealer and already wish i never bothered to put it in.

the DSG guy was there (from audi) he took it out but was driving it like miss daisy super slow and not really giving it a chance,  (my dad was with him so maybe he was just being super careful)  so asked guy to drive it normal tomorrow himself.  they have said there are only a handful of dsg like ours been in and not had any problems with them

the service guys were on about signing forms about how they may or may not fix it,  not really sure what thats all about tbh, and asked about a reset,  they said they would not do that as it takes 2.5 hours 

so we will see what we get tomorrow when they call but i'm getting the feeling it will be thats how they are and nothing wrong with it ;-)

thanks again for the replys here been very helpful

Just a clueless bunch of muppets, you want to talk with the Master Tech not some Service Desk staff that must only have seen a handful of 7 speed DSG because they 

have not been there long.

If it needs a reset then that is what they need to get approval for from the Warranty Provider, ie Skoda UK.

None of it is rocket science really.

?

What about the Coolant needing changed, does your car need that doing?

Got the wee car back tonight and success so far!!!

they gave us a call this morning and someone else tried it and they felt what we felt and said its not right how it was changing from 3rd to 2nd,  there were no fault codes so a reset was what they suggested and thats been done today,  being a ex demo who knows how many folk have had a shot before us

my dad collected it and he called to say it feels like a differnt car, its smooth and said it feels perfect and he's very happy with it now,  i'ii get a shot tomorrow.

but yeah all good so far, i'm looking forward t having a shot of it tomorrow.

i asked about the coolant and they said theres nothing against ours its either been done or its not been affected

thanks again for all the advice and to yourself mr awayoffski

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RapidGer said:

Got the wee car back tonight and success so far!!!

they gave us a call this morning and someone else tried it and they felt what we felt and said its not right how it was changing from 3rd to 2nd,  there were no fault codes so a reset was what they suggested and thats been done today,  being a ex demo who knows how many folk have had a shot before us

my dad collected it and he called to say it feels like a differnt car, its smooth and said it feels perfect and he's very happy with it now,  i'ii get a shot tomorrow.

but yeah all good so far, i'm looking forward t having a shot of it tomorrow.

i asked about the coolant and they said theres nothing against ours its either been done or its not been affected

thanks again for all the advice and to yourself mr awayoffski

Good result! It seems like a simple reset can fix most issues with these DSG boxes.

Hi guys, my first response. I have a 2015 1.4 tai DSG Spaceback. Since it's second service when it had the update for high fluid pressure in gearbox it has gradually got bad. Symptoms are juddering when cold and driving off, also intermittent when driving. I get the same juddering when slowing down to stop. I have problems with hill hold, mostly rolls back then finds drive. There is no forgiveness for a heavy foot starting off, but the pick up with throttle is not friendly to a light foot at all. On top of this there is now a constant drone like a wheel bearing which I believe is also gearbox related. 

In sport mode the box sticks in third never going higher on normal 50 mph roads.

Abandoned the car at my local Skoda dealer to let them try it out.

Well as expected I'm a nuisance and they cannot repeat any faults but acknowledge the whine and blame it on tyre wear.

I run winter wheels in cold period so the "worn " tyres which were measured at 7mm all round last service can't be the reason as they are under 10k in real terms.

All this which is common knowledge with DSG 7 speed dry clutch box having problems worldwide over last few years.

Beggars belief they ignore everything both my wife and I experience and blame tyres.

When in sport mode, the car will try and stay in as low a gear as possible. But 50MPH in 3rd does seem high. Mine changes to 4th at 40, 3rd at 25-30ish and 5th at about 60.  I've actually just started using sport mode around town as I find the regular D mode lets the revs drop too much and puts the car in too high a gear, I'd much rather the engine revved up to around 2.5k-3k rather than drop to 1.2k or less before changing down.

Try and get them to do a DSG reset, a lot of users have reported that any juddering is fixed when they do this.

When you say it rolls back and then finds drive, are you trying to creep uphill without any gas, or do you apply the accelerator and it still rolls back? If so, try applying the hand brake, releasing the foot brake and then, when you feel the clutch engage, release the hand brake and apply the accelerator and see if the car will smoothly move off uphill.

Let me know how you get on

• 1 month later...

Well our lovely smooth dsg was short lived. Over the last few weeks it's went back to the way it was and tbh the last week its change from 3rd to 2nd is very noticeable and very annoying.

Decided to book it in to parks as that's where we bought  the car so it's going back there next week so will see how things go. 

We love the little car but this gear change is really putting us off the wee car.  I've gave a few pals a shot of the car just to make sure it's just not me and everyone else says it's very noticeable to them to

So will see how it gets on at parks and go from there... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/08/2017 at 13:32, R00mster07 said:

Updated.

Note the date from my post, the gearbox was playing up a few weeks before my comments and after veiled threats from dealer and Skoda it is my fault and therefore chargeable, despite the obvious acknowledgment there is a fault. Then the red herring of dealer being told they must get another identical car to compare with mine. I refused this as it is not common practice to have a comparative vehicle to cross reference any other components. I refused to take car back and was going through the process of cancelling the finance and not giving in. Well they have now agreed to replace the gearbox on warranty after it was referred back to Skoda technical in Europe. I don't like being bullied in the name of corporate profits.

On 23/08/2017 at 13:32, R00mster07 said:

Hi guys, my first response. I have a 2015 1.4 tai DSG Spaceback. Since it's second service when it had the update for high fluid pressure in gearbox it has gradually got bad. Symptoms are juddering when cold and driving off, also intermittent when driving. I get the same juddering when slowing down to stop. I have problems with hill hold, mostly rolls back then finds drive. There is no forgiveness for a heavy foot starting off, but the pick up with throttle is not friendly to a light foot at all. On top of this there is now a constant drone like a wheel bearing which I believe is also gearbox related. 

In sport mode the box sticks in third never going higher on normal 50 mph roads.

Abandoned the car at my local Skoda dealer to let them try it out.

Well as expected I'm a nuisance and they cannot repeat any faults but acknowledge the whine and blame it on tyre wear.

I run winter wheels in cold period so the "worn " tyres which were measured at 7mm all round last service can't be the reason as they are under 10k in real terms.

All this which is common knowledge with DSG 7 speed dry clutch box having problems worldwide over last few years.

Beggars belief they ignore everything both my wife and I experience and blame tyres.

Edited by R00mster07