Yeti 110 rattling loudly when cold

K100RS

Our 2011 Yeti 110 front wheel drive has now done 98,000 miles which are mainly 90 mile round trip to work and back during the week. No short school cold runs.

It went in for a new cambelt and water pump around 70,00 miles at the local Skoda dealer but recently has started to be very noisy when first starting from cold and then gets better on tick over when up to full running temp.

I change the oil and filter every 9,000 miles or when the icon comes up and change the air and oil filter.

With this high mileage is there any adjustment with valve clearances on a diesel engine as I am used to setting petrol engines on cars and bikes with shims and feeler gauges. Unfortunately there is no proper Haynes manual these days for the Yeti and nothing seems to be around for these engines. It really sounds clattery and rather worrying.

Or is it "They all make that sound sir" from the salesman.

Anybody come across this noisy problem with their high mileage Yeti diesel when starting up?

FlyingBrick

Probably hydraulic adjusters on the valves.
On engines in the past I have suffered that noise a couple of times, caused by the non return rubber flap in the filter failing letting the hydraulic adjusters bleed down.
It does take a while for them to get back to normal.
Both times it was with quality make brand new filters!

Thanks Urrell

On our Yeti I think it is just straight filter with "O" rings sealing it in place and no rubber flap non return fitted.

The last filter was a Halfords one put in so will change the oil coming up to 8,000 miles and change the oil filter at the same time.

Will take a careful look at the old filter just in case it has collapsed in any way causing problems with the valve rattle.

Hi Ryeman yes understand that some engines go round the clock twice but being a biker more used to shorter mileages get thrown around the motorcycle club.

It was the sudden change in engine noise one morning  when the Mrs drove off down the road to work and continues when she starts up the engine every morning.

Took the Yeti out when she came home in the evening and it sounded from memory about the same since last year.

Only difference was a month ago when the MOT chappy could not get an exhaust reading and revved up the engine on his BOSCH test unit six times and still could not get a decent reading from the analyser.

But assume the rev limiter would jump in and not allow the engine to go above 2,500 rpm?

Decided not to have the software changed by those awfully nice Skoda people for free so can rule that one out of the engine management system.

Still trying to get to the bottom of the engine noise.

FlyingBrick

2 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

What rev limiter?

I thought you can rev to max in neutral, so no limit during the test.

No, there is a limiter built into the ECU that stops you doing that when in neutral. 

In fact it might be connected to the handbrake since I think they might be limited when not moving.

Spot on Llanigraham.

You are correct as I can push the accelerator pedal right down when stationary and in neutral, it will rise to just above 2,400rpm and no further on my 2011 Yeti 110 front wheel drive model.

Have not tried taking off the handbrake yet as the Mrs has the car. Found this out as soon as we purchased the Yeti from the dealer and thought there was a problem back in 2011.

Limiter built into the ECU

Accelerator pushed right down will give a max of 2,500rpm and has no effect on the handbrake being on or off whilst in neutral and stationary.

Have now changed the oil filter and oil on the Yeti 110 and at the moment it does sound quieter than before but will wait for the Mrs to start it up on a cold morning for work to see if she clatters down the road.

Now use a vacuum system to suck out the oil instead of taking the plastic under pan off and all those hex bolts to drain the sump plug having jacked the Yeti up.

Should have gone down that route many years ago. Live and learn.