Egr pipe stops engine

Hi everyone, I'm new to skoda and this site so I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 2010 Octavia 1.9 diesel. One day it started spluttering, lost power and chucked out lots of smoke, it had done a similar thing before and the egr valve was replaced. I assumed it was the same so removed/blocked  the egr pipe at the top of the valve. This made it drivable but wifh less power and when you reach 65 or need extra power it goes into limp mode. Switch engine off and back on and it runs again but will repeat the fault continuosly . I cleaned the valve and throttle body and it was fine for about a day then reverted to the problem. changed the egr with new but it is still the same. I changed the throttle body but it was an eBay buy so might not be as working as promised. Also on both the throttle bodys the valve appeared to be open all the time. Any help would be appreciated thanks