Headlights Abroad

Hi All,

I am off to France in a  couple of weeks and need to sort my headlights out. They are standard halogen lights with reflectors. Is there a lever to flick or is it best with Eurolights (or similar)? Are the Eurolights easy to fix?

The manual states it needs to be taken to a dealer, which sounds expensive!

Thanks

R

Just now, hpoom said:

You just put it in travel mode or wait for the GPS to auto update it.

The halogens don't do that.   Only the Xenons.

There are blanking stickers that you can get from the dealer.   They would have to search for the part code though as I don't know it myself.

The Mk2 octavia have levers in the headlights that you can move to make them suitable for continental driving, not sure about the superb.

Alternatively, you can do one of two other things.... 

You can buy some from halfords and guess where to put them on the car or as long as you are travelling during daylight, not bother.

4 hours ago, roswell said:

Thanks Roo. I spoke with the dealer and they had no idea what they needed to do, so clearly don't do many of them! 

It's all in the workshop manual

We are driving to Italy in September and have contacted our local Skoda dealer  (where we got our car from)  with a view to getting the halogen headlights  converted for European driving. Imagine our delight to be told that we could call in with no appointment  and it would be done free of charge!!! 

Derek Slacks of Middlesbrough.... top class dealer.

Congratulations Gross9661! My local dealership wanted to charge me up to £80 inc VAT, though wasn't sure what was required. My car is a fleet vehicle so I don't expect any loyalty from the local dealership.

I bought some Eurolites and fitted these - probably not the best as it isn't easy to confirm exactly where they are supposed to be installed. 

That sounds like daylight robbery to me,having saidthat ... I wasn't  expecting to get it done for free, but it is encouraging to see that there are dealers out there that give good value and service. I have no complaints thus far.

The part number for the official headlight masks are 

3V0941981 for vehicles with left hand traffic headlights

3V0941981A for vehicles with right hand traffic headlights

So I guess UK cars with halogen lights need the one on top. I do not know how much they are and double check with the dealer as to the cost of them.

On a related side note the Mk1 Fabia had the option of headlght protectors with the masks built in, they were really handy.  It's a shame that you can't get those any more.

I have just returned from a holiday in Spain and Portugal.  We took the ferry from Plymouth to Santander and then drove down to the Algarve (stopping in Salamanca if your interested).  The car performed fantastically and was a joy to drive (even with 3 kids in the back).  On the headlight point specifically - it took about 10 minutes after getting off the ferry in Spain for the SATNAV to kick in and recognise that we were in a different country (not a problem I was still queuing at passport control); when it did kick in with my location I got a message on the MFD saying "headlights configured for driving on right" (or something very similar), absolutely no action required by me.  On arrival back in Plymouth at the end of the hols (sigh) I got a similar message telling me they were set for driving on the left.

On a related point - don't forget tto turn the alarm off on the ferry.  You have to do it within a certain time of switching the ignition off.  To my shame I had to consult the manual after pressing the button several times and it staying amber!

Turning the alarm off on the ferry. I'm glad you mentioned that Ant1975 or I  would have forgotten all about it.

Any idea how i do that ? I seem to remember something about the door pillar.

living in france I still have uk spec lights on my yeti, I just use the lights on base dip(by the dashboard mounted wheel) when facing oncoming traffic, never been flashed so that must work ok, can you do that on your collective cars, saves money, and I've never been stopped by jonny gendarme!

1 hour ago, Gross9661 said:

Turning the alarm off on the ferry. I'm glad you mentioned that Ant1975 or I  would have forgotten all about it.

Any idea how i do that ? I seem to remember something about the door pillar.

Its really easy - there is a button on the driver side door pillar.  When you press it it should go from Amber (on) to white (off).  I faffed around a bit at first because you have to do it within a certain time from removing the keys / switching the ignition off (I seem to remember).  It is pretty clear in the manual.

I thought that

- the door pillar button only turned off the internal sensors so if you are locking the car when someone or pet is inside.

- the double click of the key fob only turned off the deadlocking (which would otherwise prevent someone from opening the door from the inside

The notices on ferries seemed to be asking about turning off the alarm so that movements of the boat didn't set off the alarm, which I thought the 2 cases above would not deal with ?

1 hour ago, Wet Kipper said:

I thought that

- the door pillar button only turned off the internal sensors so if you are locking the car when someone or pet is inside.

- the double click of the key fob only turned off the deadlocking (which would otherwise prevent someone from opening the door from the inside

The notices on ferries seemed to be asking about turning off the alarm so that movements of the boat didn't set off the alarm, which I thought the 2 cases above would not deal with ?

Not entirely sure - I just followed the manual under the heading 'turning the alarm off'!  That said, I didn't have a flat battery when I came back to the car and it wasn't alarming, so either it worked or the ferry movement isn't sufficient to activate it.

5 hours ago, Wet Kipper said:

I thought that

I have had a look at the manual for my car and it says that turning off the alarm on door pillar will disarm the internal movement sensors and disable the tilt / towing protection  hence making it safe for ferry crossings.

That seems to be the way forward for me!!!

• Like 1

Have just been to europe in mine, 150L&K Estate and theres an option in the menu on the centre screen for Lights - left hand traffic right hand traffic - cant quite remember where though...

On 29 August 2017 at 09:48, Frenchtone said:

living in france I still have uk spec lights on my yeti, I just use the lights on base dip(by the dashboard mounted wheel) when facing oncoming traffic, never been flashed so that must work ok, can you do that on your collective cars, saves money, and I've never been stopped by jonny gendarme!

No adjustment wheel on my car. I think you can adjust headlamp level within the menus - if you can find it! :dull:

Update on changing headlights for european use.

I took my car into our local dealers today as mentioned in previous post to have the changes required. 

Sadly the headlights on my car dont have the adjustment part on them as previously advised.

Not the deaalerships fault  but they said that all the older superbs had this facility along with a few other skodas but not mine.

So, we're off to Italy tomorrow  with eurolites stuck on my headlights. 

4500 miles in three weeks  should be a good test of how good our Superb really is.....will report back at a later date.

• Like 1