Oil level sensor fault

I have a 2006 2.0 tfsi VRS estate, and I've been checking the oil fairly regularly, and have been finding it quite low on the dipstick sometimes. Fair enough, engines can use oil, I get that, but I've never seen an oil light on yet? My last car (Audi A6) had a very sensitive oil sensor and would alert you when it was half way down the dipstick every time. 

The VRS has been almost dry on the dipstick, but no light? Is this normal or do I need to get the sensor replaced?

How sensitive is your sensor?

The sensor could be fine. It's up to the car manufacturer what oil level they programme into the Instruments module as 'warning worthy'.  From seeing numerous references to this by @Awayoffski in the context of oil-using mk2 Fabias, the oil level can drop a looong way before the level warning comes on, with that Skoda model.  

• Like 1

With Euro 5 1.4 TSI / TFSI Twinchargers and a oil capacity of 3.6 litres the oil can be as low as 1.5-2 litres and just showing on the bottom orange ball of the dipstick and no Yellow Oil Can LIght or Low Oil Level message shows, and the Red Oil Can or message for Low Oil Pressure can show before the Low Oil Level Warnings.

Open the Bonnet for 30 seconds when there is a Low Oil Warning and then the light goes out, even with no oil added.

• Like 1