2014 octavia vrs dsg tdi tyre speed ratings

hi there need help about the tyre speed ratings the car came with 88Y on from new which is 186mph but the make i fancy on the car next only do a 88W which is 168mph heard so much about insurance been invalid etc just require some clarification thanks 

Hi Phil, I believe you are OK so long as the speed rating of the tyre fitted is in excess of the maximum speed that the vehicle is capable of reaching.

Hi Phil, take a look at the Motor Vehicle Approval Regulations 2001, section 16 (tyres)  para. 7. It states that any tyre fitted MUST be capable of withstanding the maximum design speed of the vehicle. I see that the V.Max of both the 230 and the 245 TSI are both quoted as 155 MPH.  Also, most of the insurance companies in the UK signed up to an agreement where drivers wishing to fit winter tyres (which usually have lower speed ratings than summer tyres) are not required to notify the company of the change - their reasoning being that the winter tyres are safer in those conditions. As TMWNN says though, it wouldn't hurt to run what you propose past them first. 

23 minutes ago, Warrior193 said:

Hi Phil, take a look at the Motor Vehicle Approval Regulations 2001, section 16 (tyres)  para. 7. It states that any tyre fitted MUST be capable of withstanding the maximum design speed of the vehicle. I see that the V.Max of both the 230 and the 245 TSI are both quoted as 155 MPH.  Also, most of the insurance companies in the UK signed up to an agreement where drivers wishing to fit winter tyres (which usually have lower speed ratings than summer tyres) are not required to notify the company of the change - their reasoning being that the winter tyres are safer in those conditions. As TMWNN says though, it wouldn't hurt to run what you propose past them first. 

The max speed of the 230 is 155 mph but if I'm not mistaken the 230 is limited to 155, if the limiter is mapped out I think the top speed is near 160. I think the 245 is also limited to 155 but again if the limiter is removed it may be a bit more.  You may need to check...........

Or have I dreamt this........................

3 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

The max speed of the 230 is 155 mph but if I'm not mistaken the 230 is limited to 155, if the limiter is mapped out I think the top speed is near 160. I think the 245 is also limited to 155 but again if the limiter is removed it may be a bit more.  You may need to check...........

Or have I dreamt this........................

And how accurate is the limiter?

My previous car was an Audi B7 RS4 - this also had an official max speed of 155mph but MANY owners recorded a GPS verified top speed of 168mph with the 155mph limiter in place. Those who paid the substantial option cost to have the limiter removed were somewhat irritated to find that they could "only" record a top speed of 175mph...

8 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

And how accurate is the limiter?

My previous car was an Audi B7 RS4 - this also had an official max speed of 155mph but MANY owners recorded a GPS verified top speed of 168mph with the 155mph limiter in place. Those who paid the substantial option cost to have the limiter removed were somewhat irritated to find that they could "only" record a top speed of 175mph...

To be honest I've no idea, I just seem the remember the Pre FL 230 ( like mine ) is the first Skoda to have a limiter fitted

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

Thanks warrior193 and everyone else mine is a tdi 184bhp so top speed is only 142mph in my opinion the W rating will be fine at 164mph even if factory fitted was the Y rated 186mph thanks all