Car hit whilst parked - insurance advise needed

Things really just aren't going well for me lately. Basically, on Sunday I found a note attached to my windscreen stating my car had been 'bumped' and an address on said note was provided. The damage is to my drivers door and it's pretty grim. Posted a return note at property (no one in when knocked on) and got a phone call an hour later.

Chap was very polite and we met in person. He has acknowledged full responsibility and informed me my details have been passed on to his insurer. His insurer contacted me today and texted me a claim No and confirmation that 'liability has been admitted by our customer'.

Spoken to them and was initially told it was my responsibility to arrange an estimate and a courtesy car would be arranged if I found the car to be unsafe/unusable. Thing is, forgive me if I sound thick or rather uneducated in this field but this is where I get a tad confused.

I've spent most of the afternoon on the phone going back and forth between my insurer and theirs and I'm being advised by my insurer to go with them because if I use his, they will not protect me or assist me if there is a problem or any comebacks ie. repair is poor or to dissatisfaction or they drag their feet. My insurer claims that once I 'accept' the services of them then my contract is with them and got a load of spiel bla bla.

Really don't get what the process is and this has never happened to me before. Do I just go with theirs or take the advice from my insurer and get them to chase this up?

The first person I spoke to on the phone (his insurer) gave me a list of their 'approved' repair centres but I wasn't overly enamoured with the information I was provided and stated I wish to find my own approved Skoda repair centre to which they agreed. However, I'm torn between just getting my insurer to deal with it all as this is getting a bit of a headache having to deal with it.

What should I do?

Going with the other parties insurer I usually find they fall over backwards to help you. Come and see the car. 

Provide a like for like courtesy especially size and engine delivered and collected.

Take care of things that eat into your time. 

Perhaps as you say even let you take to a garage of your choice. 

They do provide a proper guarantee for the work like 5 years depending on the garage. 

With ones own insurance it's the opposite sometimes. Minimum/small car as is often the case and then fighting to claim money back, this way if they pay they admit liability up front, the other party that is 

I certainly found other parties insurance helpful as they are in control of the costs which they are likely to prefer. 

Perhaps get a reference from them and call the same number to make sure you get a consistent support for this?

Hope you get it sorted quickly. 

I've been hit recently and it's all going through the other parties insurance.

They all have to tell you that if you choose not to use their services then you can't hold them responsible nor will they get involved in disputes. It's just to cover themselves. Assuming the third parties insurance is a reputable company, I'd hope everything would be fine.

Definitely push for a Skoda approved bodyshop though, my car has been assessed twice now as the first assessment wasn't a Skoda approved bodyshop.

I got hit over a year ago, waiting to turn right, multiple shunt with me at the front. The at fault driver admitted liability and the repairs were done. Now we come to the tragic bit. The case is still open because her insurance company hasn't paid up. It's gone to court and the bailiffs are after her. But I've still lost my NCB until the money is recovered. My insurance company won't give me the NCB whilst the case is still open, even though they accept that I wasn't at fault. Something else to note. I had a two way Nextbase dashcam which didn't record the incident. It was faulty. :angry:

easiest to let them take care of the repairs. do, however stick to your guns if you dont like their "approved repairer". at the end of the day, its your car, not theirs. a good bodyshop wont be afraid to offer a minimum of 3 years guarantee. 

the bodyshop usually offer courtesy cars, but these days you have to insure them yourself. you must make it clear the other sides insurer must reimburse you.

Generally agree with others, to go with the other parties insurer. 

They should deal with it and give you a like for like courtesy vehicle too, as mentioned. Just make sure you are happy with where the work is being carried out.

I was bumped into in a car park and luckily they accepted liability. The guys insurers (Esure iirc) phoned me to discuss options and gave me time to think about it as the car was still drive-able, no real (visible) damage other than a skewift bumper and headlight. (there is a thread somewhere).

They offered to take the car and replace with an Automatic estate.

This is my work vehicle with tools etc in, so very inconvenient.

I explained my situation and asked if there could be a cash offer instead. They got back to me with an offer of £500 which i accepted and a cheque arrived a few days later. I notified my insurers of the acceptance.

I straightened the bumper myself and had to mess about with the headlight to get it straight enough and had to re set the adjuster as this had stuck all the way one side, and just had to pay for both lights to be realigned at mot time.

I had new tyres very shortly afterwards and Halfords Nottingham checked the underside front for me and confirmed no further damage, luckily.

Maybe a cash offer if the damage is not too bad?

Edit . who is his insurer, and who is yours???

Edited by Tilt

I think the only reason your insurer want to deal with it is as they will be able to charge admin fees etc etc to their insurers and their insurers will have to pay more.

Vice versa reason for his insurer wanting you to deal directly with them, (without involving your insurer (just to be clear).

insurance companys have there own approved body shop. You can quiet leagelly nominate a body shop of your own to get the car sorted.

Hey all apologies I've not responded to anyone there's been loads going on including this. Basically, after what seemed a game of table tennis and back and forth the car is finally in the body shop for repairs. I decided to go with my own chosen body shop and have a courtesy car in my possession.

Friday evening was quite amusing when the repair centre sent out a low loader to collect my car and the guy told me the car wouldn't go on it!! So much for requesting and having to book flexi time from my boss :/

Apparently, because I have modified it and attached a front splitter, it would catch on the wagon and tear it off. They don't warrant a proper 'flat bed' wagon as they are too expensive to run or something like that. So yeah, I was pretty ****** off but to be honest, the guy was very reasonable and rather apologetic to say the least. So much so he offered to take me back home personally when I dropped the car off (which I did).

The courtesy car is from Enterprise and I must admit (considering I've never not ever had anything like this happen), am rather concerned at all the bloody paperwork involved. My 'voluntary excess' then cropped up with regard to having a further accident whether it be fault/non-fault. Also, they presented a laminate transparent A4 sheet with a maximum circumference stating I'd be responsible for any other mark or scratch outside of that limit. They had a guy walk around and survey the vehicles original scuffs ect and record them on the handover sheet. 

Is this normal? I'd hate to return it and be questioned about the cars condition.

So yeah that's where I'm up to currently. Sorry for the waffle it's just done my flippin' head in. I really wouldn't wish it on anyone.

BTW Tilt, I'm insured through Chris Knott with Equity Red and the blokes is Toyota (AGEAS).

Edited by LordRaiden84

The hire car excess provided by the other party is something I have complained about as has a friend of mine and through common courtesy they have reduced it to be the same as my own car insurance. So if the worst does happen it won't cost me/them/you any more than if it were our own cars. Please do contact your person arranging this for you. If it's your own not sure really. Ps you won't have to pay any excess waiver for it either. 

18 hours ago, LordRaiden84 said:

I decided to go with my own chosen body shop and have a courtesy car in my possession.

But whose insurance company have you decided to handle it on your behalf? Your own, or theirs?

If i was advised by their insurers that I had to arrange the repair, then i think i would have instructed my own insurer to handle it, through the others.

When it comes to accident repairs around where I stay most of the bigger repair shops seem to do the work for all the major insurance companies so irrespective if you used your company repairer or the at fault repaired it's the same place.... Yes you can use your own chosen shop but then you lose any guarantee on repairs from the insurer.

Hey peeps. Bit of an update for you. Ok, got a call today from the repair centre informing me all being well, that car should be ready for Thursday. also, they mentioned they will 'arrange' something suitable in terms of getting my car either by picking me up or something to that degree.

They will also reimburse me the milage that I had to travel there and back upon collection due to the low loader comedy sketch. To be fair, they've been pretty good and kept me in the loop every few days.

Apologies Tilt if I didn't make it clear prior or answer correctly but I'm using his insurance to handle this claim. Yes, they were a bit.....well.......iffy at first but after a pretty stern phone call and telling them off (politely I might add) they soon changed their tune so up to now all is good.

Regarding the hire car, his insurance paid the excess fee or waiver to reduce it to zero. 

Just to add, didn't hear anything back regards car being ready Thursday so will call them today.

Edited by LordRaiden84