Fabia 1.4 16v, Dodgy alternator ?

My wife Fabia broke down as she couldn't turn the steering and Christmas come early to the dash as lots of the lights where on show ! When I test the battery it has about 9.6v with engine on or off there is no change of the engine is reved, I have checked the plug under the starter motor and all seems good no broken wires, have I done enough checks to say the alternator is gone ? its strange as the charge light isn't showing on the dash, the alternator doesn't look that old either. the car has recently had a clutch change hence why I double checked the wires under the starter motor.

The sense wire is broken if you have no battery light, it was broken by the muppets who removed the gearbox in order to replace the clutch.

No sense wire means no charging and a flat battery, take the battery off and charge it fully before it gets damaged from being so flat, replace the sense wire from the alternator to the bulkhead as you can't know where the break is, just replace the whole lot, it's only bell wire, two solder joints and two pieces of heatshrink tubing.

Thanks for calling me a muppet !! I did the clutch change , I even cable tied the wires out of the way ! If I switch the ignition on the battery flashes on and off for about a second , I have read other posts saying that if you raise the engine revs to 2k it should start charging if the wire is damaged, I think its blue and brown wire.

16 minutes ago, imperial21 said:

Thanks for calling me a muppet !! I did the clutch change , I even cable tied the wires out of the way ! If I switch the ignition on the battery flashes on and off for about a second , I have read other posts saying that if you raise the engine revs to 2k it should start charging if the wire is damaged, I think its blue and brown wire.

You didn't say that at first, I have an extremely low opinion of the motor trade in general in case you hadn't noticed. There are always exceptions to a rule but life is too short for trial and error.

Edited by sepulchrave