Interesting email from dealer RE: free spare wheel

Had this email from dealer whilst away for a week, offering a free spare wheel instead of the inflation kit as standard. Although this does not interest me it may help others getting a free spare wheel if they wish instead of the standard inflation kit from their dealers

Sorry if this has already being covered elsewhere on forum.

Good evening Mr ???

Instead of a spare tyre, your vehicle is supplied with an emergency puncture repair kit that requires you to spray glue into the punctured tyre. However, this temporary repair method is only suitable for punctures that are less than 4mm wide, and the adhesive also has a sell by date.

The reason that this subject has been picked up by the press has been due to a number of drivers who have been left stranded after having had a puncture, the puncture repair kit not being suitable and therefore needing to use their recovery service to get them home.

Since the press coverage we have received many calls and letters from our customers asking if it is possible to purchase a spare tyre as an option. We have looked into this and I am pleased to say that a kit is available from
Sinclair ŠKODA Swansea – we will fit it FREE and carry out a complimentary FREE visual health check for you whilst doing this — call now to book.

Yours sincerely

David Jones
Dealer Principle

How much does the spare cost ?

Fitting is a piece of cake if you have the package (relevant stryofoam packers and jack brace kit). but when you have to pay £200+ for the entire bundle is  steep.

I ask because I would always spec the spacesaver as an option being old school, unfortunately my soon to be car is ex-management and they didn't. I have been perusing for a sensible price option but yet to find one.

Plenty of spacesaver spares but if you want the bundle to do a straight swap it gets pricey for something that is a £99 factory option !

• Like 1

I think it's madness not to have a spare wheel. Having said that, my car was on the company's monthly lease limit without any extras, so I didn't get a spare wheel or flappy paddles, unfortunately. 

Off to France at the end of the month, so it's a bit of a worry not having a spare. 

A few years back, I had a Mondeo with a space-saver. However, the spare wheel well was big enough to take a full size spare, so what space was I saving exactly?

19 hours ago, MartiniB said:

inflation kit can be useless in some case
20170611_181827_20p.thumb.jpg.f3c7971cdaba1d1bfd5048f1ae77ec0f.jpg

one step to avoid repeating that

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/434028-tire-pressure-monitoring-system/

No not much use in this case lol

es mīlēju Rīgu palika ēkā Maskavas ielā ar ģimeni, kuru es tikko satikās atvaļinājumā (corfu) pēc tam, kad viņi lūdza mani atnākt un dažus videonovērošanas darbus ēkā darīja ar laika apstākļiem ierastu biroju angļu valodā, kur viņš bija vadītājs Esmu iemācījusies latviešu valodu meitai Vlādai, kurai vajadzēja saņemt latviešu pasi, jo viņai bija veca krievu pase un, viņuprāt, bija vajadzīga latviskā pase kā viņas esošā viena bealiena, izņemot to, ka viņi galvenokārt runāja krieviski. man bija veiksme, jo man bija iespēja mācīties mazliet no abām valodām un ne ļoti labi, lai gan lol Es palikuju latvijā 2 un pusgadus un pieteicies uz rezidenci. 

Your English is better than my Latvian, but I do still to try to communicate with my good friends in Riga.

I can also remember going somewhere but cant remember where one new year eve for a party but it was near the country and sea and the sea was actually frozen near the shore which I have photos of. I can always remember their 80 year old elderly family member (father/grandpa) challenging to a Vodka competition lol.....I will leave you to decide who won :crying:

Even though this was some 15 years ago it is still like yesterday and Riga was beautiful :)

• Like 1

On 9/3/2017 at 15:54, MartiniB said:

inflation kit can be useless in some case
20170611_181827_20p.thumb.jpg.f3c7971cdaba1d1bfd5048f1ae77ec0f.jpg

one step to avoid repeating that

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/434028-tire-pressure-monitoring-system/

Only in some cases.  Had a sudden delamination on the M1 a few years ago with the family in the car, no TPMS would spot that (it was a tyre fault).  There were bits of tyre all over the M1.

Wife had an early Peugeot 206cc with the inflation kit, she had a puncture and the recovery service refused to use the inflation kit or give her recovery as she didn't have a spare . . . .   We changed recovery service.  

Every car we have had since has had a spare of some kind, the last Octavia was from stock (Leased) and persuaded the lease company to add the spare at the factory fit price :-) 

Her next car after the CC was an Audi A2 with a "collapsible" spare but it meant the wheel that came off would not fit in the well, it would only just fit in the boot.  The car came with a large, white, Audi branded, plastic bag for the punctured wheel. 

I added the spare wheel when ordering the car. Heard too many stories of people being stranded due to the 'wrong type of puncture'.

Gives peace of mind AND (hopefully) a repairable tyre because most places won't touch a tyre once you've used the gunk.