Major failure soon after Haldex and DSG oil changes

pipmurray

2 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Same gearbox and diff  so you know what to expect,but it sounds like a great motor,best of luck,

On my third Yeti with DSG box, all totally trouble free so far. I take the extended warranty to avoid any worries with any part of the car.

• Like 1

Rather alarmed to read this thread:sadsmile:

My Yeti is now outside of the manufacturers warranty period and I've re-mapped it (following a negative experience with the EA189 update - more here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/429970-ea189-emmisions-update-my-experience/?tab=comments#comment-4854924).

I didn't bother enquiring with regards to the extended warranty, as I'd read up and saw any modifications precluded extending the warranty with Skoda (and most other main-stream providers). On this basis I'd taken the car outside the dealer network for servicing. The year 3 service was completed here (http://www.autohausdolby.co.uk/) and included all filters (air / fuel / oil / cabin) along with oil, brake fluid and a Haldex service.  I understand the gen V Haldex system has a fluid change, but the filter is not user serviceable. I did enquire regarding changing both the diff oil and gearbox oil, but was advised against this.

VAG DPF tells me my particulate filter has an ash loading equivalent to being 34% "full" and the guys at Autohaus Dolby gave the car a thorough "once over" and told me no issues / pending faults were apparent. I specifically enquired regarding the longevity of the Haldex system and was told it was "Bullet Proof" and they'd seen very few failures, in well manintained cars. 

This sudden failure of the diff is certainly a concern, especially as a car I'd previously owned from new (and sold on here) suffered a similar fate at 4 years / low mileage. I understand this was similarly covered by an extended warranty.

I'd hoped to see at least 5 years / 100K miles without any major issues  / expense. Thus far the car is on all it's original maajor components and passed it's first MOT without any advisories. The brakes are <50% worn at ~58K miles and, barring a manufacurer recall on the EGR valve cooler, has provided reliable.

Given diesel Yeti residuals have effectively collapsed recently I'm planning to keep this for the foreseeable future and can only hope I don't suffer a similar fate to the OP:sweat:

Edited by pinkpanther

On 09/09/2017 at 09:29, Expatman said:

For you yes!

I bought a new Yeti in March to replace a 2012 Yeti which had provided 5 years of trouble free happy motoring. Looked at the Ateca but bigger than I needed. Yeti provides what I want in a relatively compact footprint with large windows all round. Perfect for me.

My wife complained about the looks of the Yeti for 4 years and so there was no chance of getting another one. 

Not particularly happy with the Ateca either. Seat another quirky nondescript car company like Skoda and the Lava Blue

colour a bit too turquoisey for her liking from all the photos I've shown her. Would be much happier with a

premium brand or even a nice Qashqai!

Must admit I do prefer the slightly smaller more compact size of the Yeti. Never mind, time for a change.

21 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Same gearbox and diff  so you know what to expect,but it sounds like a great motor,best of luck,

I see the Ateca has a 7 speed DSG compared to the 6 in the Yeti. Does more equate to better? I believe some of the

top sports motors even have 8 or 9.Is that correct?

5 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

Rather alarmed to read this thread:sadsmile:

My Yeti is now outside of the manufacturers warranty period and I've re-mapped it (following a negative experience with the EA189 update - more here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/429970-ea189-emmisions-update-my-experience/?tab=comments#comment-4854924).

I didn't bother enquiring with regards to the extended warranty, as I'd read up and saw any modifications precluded extending the warranty with Skoda (and most other main-stream providers). On this basis I'd taken the car outside the dealer network for servicing. The year 3 service was completed here (http://www.autohausdolby.co.uk/) and included all filters (air / fuel / oil / cabin) along with oil, brake fluid and a Haldex service.  I understand the gen V Haldex system has a fluid change, but the filter is not user serviceable. I did enquire regarding changing both the diff oil and gearbox oil, but was advised against this.

VAG DPF tells me my particulate filter has an ash loading equivalent to being 34% "full" and the guys at Autohaus Dolby gave the car a thorough "once over" and told me no issues / pending faults were apparent. I specifically enquired regarding the longevity of the Haldex system and was told it was "Bullet Proof" and they'd seen very few failures, in well manintained cars. 

This sudden failure of the diff is certainly a concern, especially as a car I'd previously owned from new (and sold on here) suffered a similar fate at 4 years / low mileage. I understand this was similarly covered by an extended warranty.

I'd hoped to see at least 5 years / 100K miles without any major issues  / expense. Thus far the car is on all it's original maajor components and passed it's first MOT without any advisories. The brakes are <50% worn at ~58K miles and, barring a manufacurer recall on the EGR valve cooler, has provided reliable.

Given diesel Yeti residuals have effectively collapsed recently I'm planning to keep this for the foreseeable future and can only hope I don't suffer a similar fate to the OP:sweat:

Interesting that you say diesel Yeti residuals have collapsed recently. Is that because of the dieselgate issue or just diesels in

general? I read diesels are not outselling petrol motors anything like they used to do.

I got £8 for the trade in which I thought was on the low side. Webuyanycar offered £8800 but have heard they knock you

down once you get it to them, A swap at the dealer with the new motor is a lot easier.

I was looking to make my next car petrol or even electric but I was very pleased with the overall performance of my

current 150bhp engine even if a tad slow compared to my VW R32 but that was somewhat expected. The 190bhp figures

for the Ateca sound very reasonable even quick.

5 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

3 hours ago, pipmurray said:

Interesting that you say diesel Yeti residuals have collapsed recently. Is that because of the dieselgate issue or just diesels in

general? I read diesels are not outselling petrol motors anything like they used to do.

I'd based this suposition on the negative equitity I recently found myself facing, at the end of my 3 year PCP.

My previous (2WD Diesel) Yeti had a healthy amount of equitity remaining at the end of it's PCP, whereas the current car had a final payment a few £1000's more than it's actual value. 

I see equivalent cars to mine are still retailing at £10 - 12K, but it's trade-in value was £8K at best, suggesting the trade are a little wary to say the least, regarding Dieselgate and 4x4 diesel residuals. They Yeti is also an old model (and mine has relatively high mileage) so poor residuals were to be expected.

I looked at several alternatives (Kodiak, Ateca, 3008), but after driving each car I found myself getting back into my Yeti and realising just how much I preferred driving it. I also have a Shark remap and recent set of Michelin Cross Climate tyres, so elected to pay it off and run it beyond it's warranty expiry.

Enjoy the Ateca!

1 hour ago, pinkpanther said:

I'd based this suposition on the negative equitity I recently found myself facing, at the end of my 3 year PCP.

My previous (2WD Diesel) Yeti had a healthy amount of equitity remaining at the end of it's PCP, whereas the current car had a final payment a few £1000's more than it's actual value. 

I see equivalent cars to mine are still retailing at £10 - 12K, but it's trade-in value was £8K at best, suggesting the trade are a little wary to say the least, regarding Dieselgate and 4x4 diesel residuals. They Yeti is also an old model (and mine has relatively high mileage) so poor residuals were to be expected.

I looked at several alternatives (Kodiak, Ateca, 3008), but after driving each car I found myself getting back into my Yeti and realising just how much I preferred driving it. I also have a Shark remap and recent set of Michelin Cross Climate tyres, so elected to pay it off and run it beyond it's warranty expiry.

Enjoy the Ateca!

The Yeti is fine to drive, cannot fault it and recommend it to anyone who asks about it.

Have spent the last few months at various BMW garages looking at i3s. Has become a bit of an

obsession as I am prone to get. Plan was to keep the Yeti for long runs and have a mega expensive

i3 as a runabout. Bit stupid really! Wife just about tolerates these wierd obsessions of mine. Love

techy things and the i3 fits the bill.

The Ateca was one of my most impulsive buys but the more I look at the spec and reviews I feel it's 

maybe not such a bad buy. The 7 speed DSG and 190 bhp engine get good reviews. 

If it hadn't been for the unexpected diiff blowup I would be keeping the Yeti for a lot longer.

• 4 weeks later...

Very pleased with the Ateca. Just driven to Cornwall and very comfortable, Huge boot compared to the Yeti and nice to

have the extra DSG gear.Lots of new kit takes some getting used to and it is certainly a bit bigger overall than the very

compact Yeti. No regrets. Feels like a very modern SUV which the Yeti did not!

Highly recommended if anyone is thinking of swapping.

1 minute ago, pipmurray said:

Very pleased with the Ateca. Just driven to Cornwall and very comfortable, Huge boot compared to the Yeti and nice to

have the extra DSG gear.Lots of new kit takes some getting used to and it is certainly a bit bigger overall than the very

compact Yeti. No regrets. Feels like a very modern SUV which the Yeti did not!

Highly recommended if anyone is thinking of swapping.

In what ways did the Ateca "feel like a modern SUV" compared to the Yeti? Interested to hear your thoughts.

Having looked at the Ateca last time I was down at Sinclair's i was very disappointed with it.

Didn't think the boot was that much bigger than the Yeti's. 

Thought the interior was drab and too "funereal".

Seats didn't feel as comfortable.

Rear and 3 quarter view wasn't as good as the Yeti's.

And the staff in the dealership were no-where near as helpful or friendly than next door!

Ateca has  510 ltr or with 4wheel drive 485ltr compared to the  Yeti 416ltr or  322 ltr with spare wheel almost 50% less than the Attica,but I suppose it was dark inside.?

8 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Ateca has  510 ltr or with 4wheel drive 485ltr compared to the  Yeti 416ltr or  322 ltr with spare wheel almost 50% less than the Attica,but I suppose it was dark inside.?

The new Ateca has no spare wheel, only the repair kit whatever that is.

The old Yeti had a space saver wheel which probably accounts for the

big difference in boot space.

Interesting to see my old car for sale at Blade at £10490. Got £8000 for trade in. About what I expected!

Someone will get a good motor but I had lost a lot of confidence after the diff blew.

Pick up the i3 on Friday. And now for something totally different!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pipmurray said:

The new Ateca has no spare wheel, only the repair kit whatever that is.

The old Yeti had a space saver wheel which probably accounts for the

big difference in boot space.

Interesting to see my old car for sale at Blade at £10490. Got £8000 for trade in. About what I expected!

Someone will get a good motor but I had lost a lot of confidence after the diff blew.

Pick up the i3 on Friday. And now for something totally different!

25C012FA-EC6D-4D1E-AB1A-35B4A8EA302F.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

Sorry but that is butt ugly!

Almost as bad a a Roomster!

That is very similar to what my wife said many times. Beauty is definitely in

the eye of the beholder or something like that. A marmite type thing I suggest!

No, even I hate the dreaded Roomster.

I have a thing about orange colours and different sort or motors. 

VW R32 then a Yeti then an Ateca plus i3. All great cars in their own way.

Have lost interest in regular badge type motors. Could have gone for a

Porsche Macan etc but just doesn’t hit the sport. Need different!

I really like the i3. It may not be to everyone's taste but at least it was designed from the ground up to be an electric car - the preconceptions about what a car should look like or how it should be packaged did not apply and the designers came up with something genuinely different and something that stands out as a piece of design - whether you like it or not.

Cars like this tend to be looked upon favourably by the passage of time - the likes of the Matra Rancho, Renault Avantime, the Ford Sierra to name but a few - all cars that at the time were ridiculed for their looks but are now collectors items and gaining in value due to them actually being a piece of design.

I think the i3 and i8 will join those ranks in years to come.

11 hours ago, 137699 said:

I really like the i3. It may not be to everyone's taste but at least it was designed from the ground up to be an electric car - the preconceptions about what a car should look like or how it should be packaged did not apply and the designers came up with something genuinely different and something that stands out as a piece of design - whether you like it or not.

Cars like this tend to be looked upon favourably by the passage of time - the likes of the Matra Rancho, Renault Avantime, the Ford Sierra to name but a few - all cars that at the time were ridiculed for their looks but are now collectors items and gaining in value due to them actually being a piece of design.

11 hours ago, 137699 said:

Very nearly bought a moonstone Sierra cosworth many years ago. 

Extremely quick but a bit naughty on the bends. Stayed with my 1.9

Going for mega money now I believe.