Sportline v SE L executive

RussP

Hi all,

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the Sportline and the SE L Executive?

There is the obvious body shape with the spoiler etc, but is there any difference between the 2.0TDI 190 DSG from the 2 cars?

Thanks

No, the engines are the same.  Sportline is just a trim level similar to Audi s-line, BMW m-sport, etc rather than a full sport special trim/engine package like the vRS or golf GTI.

Edited by roo

Its what you want from the car that determines which is for you. Basic differences are:

The SEL will have softer suspension, option of all leather or leather & alcantara seats and interior colour choice + costs less.

The Sportline has Kessy, DSG paddles (if DSG Obvs.), firmer suspension, no choice black/dark grey leather/alcantara sports seats.

Edited by Mr Grump

1 hour ago, SummersetBoy said:

The seats are different in the Sportline and unlike the SE-L Exec are only available in part (p)leather and alcantara I believe?

Yes, they are the same seats that are used in the Octavia vRS and very comfy they are too.  Quilted alcantara, one piece affairs with faux leather around the sides, head rests and seat back.   I spec'd heated seats in mine but TBH the alcantara doesn't seem as cold as leather, on cold mornings.  

Edited by penguin17

14 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I spec'd heated seats in mine but TBH the alcantara doesn't seem as cold as leather, on cold mornings.  

That's what we're hoping because on our recently ordered Octavia VRS we have forgone heated seats as both interior options are ultimately cloth....... time will tell!

16 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Yes, they are the same seats that are used in the Octavia vRS and very comfy they are too. 

Are they the same seats?

I haven't seen or sat in them physically, but in pictures they look a good bit wider than the ones in the Octavia VRS?

5 minutes ago, RussP said:

The sportline is part leather ?

Yes, leather (type) material around back and sides/bolsters and alcantara centres. This is also an option on the SEL but the seats in the Sportline are sportier and have integrated headrests.

Full leather not even an option currently on the Sportline but NCO on SEL.

5 minutes ago, Mr Grump said:

Yep, don't know if real or faux (I think a mix) but actual bum and back area is alcantara.

They feel the same as the ones in my vRS for width from memory, could be wrong though.

Would definitely say faux, even the higher end brands only use faux now unless you pay much more as an option! :blink:

Fair play if you've had both, they definitely look like bigger seats in pictures.

How do you find your 280 out of interest, as when the lease is up on our VRS these will be 3+ years old and will be a real tempting option for us to buy?

8 minutes ago, RussP said:

I currently have a 2014 VRS, this is why I am wondering which one to choose. I can speck up the SE L  but the sport line is that much more expensive decisions decisions....

As has been said, they are quite different, so down to preference. I like both but do think the SEL needs bigger wheels than the standard 18's and none of the 19" options really float my boat, whereas the 19's on the Sportline look really good imo.

Also like the black Sportline accents, and what I can see, the ride comfort isn't affected by the lower suspension and bigger wheels.

Unless at some point they bring out a dedicated VRS I don't know why they called it Sportline as the changes are basically Vrs to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SummersetBoy said:

As has been said, they are quite different, so down to preference. I like both but do think the SEL needs bigger wheels than the standard 18's and none of the 19" options really float my boat, whereas the 19's on the Sportline look really good imo.

Also like the black Sportline accents, and what I can see, the ride comfort isn't affected by the lower suspension and bigger wheels.

Unless at some point they bring out a dedicated VRS I don't know why they called it Sportline as the changes are basically Vrs to me.

I think the ride comfort and refinement in general is good considering it sits 15mm lower than standard and has the 19" wheels. 

There's no immediate future plans for a Superb vRS, the Sportline is meant to plug that gap in the range.  A Kodiaq vRS could be on the cards though, from next year.  Maybe if that happens then the reception it receives may lead to the Sportline trim being replaced by a vRS Superb.  If it happens then they have to make use of the 240PS BiTDI and go full fat 310ps on the petrol. 

I do recall reading that the Monte Carlo badge wasn't carried over from other models on to the Superb as they felt the model deserved something a little more 'grown up', hence Sportline but I'm not sure why they didn't use vRS?  

At some stage they're going to have to streamline the models/spec as having Monte Carlo, Sportline and vRS is going to get a bit bonkers.  Particularly for the diesel models where the engines are generally shared and the same outputs, just with different exterior and interior trinkets.  

20 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Maybe if that happens then the reception it receives may lead to the Sportline trim being replaced by a vRS Superb.  If it happens then they have to make use of the 240PS BiTDI and go full fat 310ps on the petrol. 

Was gonna say, with the 280 4x4 already in the range it would be interesting to see if this was upgraded further in terms of power, but Seat have only just been granted VAG Group permission to use the full Golf R drivetrain and that's arguably only on the least popular version (Leon Cupra 4x4 Estate).

It's such a shame that Skoda seem to be capped even more as a petrol 4x4 Vrs seems to be what so many of us would like to own.

Edited by SummersetBoy

4 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I do recall reading that the Monte Carlo badge wasn't carried over from other models on to the Superb as they felt the model deserved something a little more 'grown up', hence Sportline but I'm not sure why they didn't use vRS?  

At some stage they're going to have to streamline the models/spec as having Monte Carlo, Sportline and vRS is going to get a bit bonkers.  Particularly for the diesel models where the engines are generally shared and the same outputs, just with different exterior and interior trinkets.  

Wasn't Monte Carlo used on the current Fabia as some sort of Vrs replacement as a full blown Vrs wasn't deemed "profitable".

The problem is, the original Fabia Vrs quickly gained popularity when people realised how bloody good it was. It's replacement was the polar opposite being petrol and auto only, didn't get great reviews and therefore didn't sell in massive numbers, hence not profitable.

Just now, SummersetBoy said:

Wasn't Monte Carlo used on the current Fabia as some sort of Vrs replacement as a full blown Vrs wasn't deemed "profitable".

The problem is, the original Fabia Vrs quickly gained popularity when people realised how bloody good it was. It's replacement was the polar opposite being petrol and auto only, didn't get great reviews and therefore didn't sell in massive numbers, hence not profitable.

Agreed.  I owned a mk1 Fabia vRS and it was a very underrated, great little car.  The replacement was very mediocre and not a patch on a Fiesta ST.    Not to mention the CAVE TSI engines were an engineering fluster cuck

10 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Not to mention the CAVE TSI engines were an engineering fluster cuck

Slanderous!!

The issues were nothing more than foibles, I mean, in the Polo GTI in particular it's not like they changed the engine 3 times in such a short production run is it :blush!

42 minutes ago, SummersetBoy said:

Would definitely say faux, even the higher end brands only use faux now unless you pay much more as an option! :blink:

Fair play if you've had both, they definitely look like bigger seats in pictures.

How do you find your 280 out of interest, as when the lease is up on our VRS these will be 3+ years old and will be a real tempting option for us to buy?

Its nearly 4 months since I had the vRS, but I don't think my rear has changed size much, they feel about the same. :D

Not even had the 280 a week yet, but loving it so far :cool:

the vRS was always 1 (or in the octavia 2, one of each flavour) engine, and it was the highest power engine available for that model. vRS meant there was an engine difference as well as equipment, compared to what the other trims could have. It's almost like a different "type", in the sense that you would add the "vRS" bit when telling people what car you drive, the same way that Cupra or Golf Gti owner would.

Sportline is really only a trim difference because you can spec it with so many different engines like the other trims, it's not just the most powerful one. 

49 minutes ago, Mr Grump said:

Its nearly 4 months since I had the vRS, but I don't think my rear has changed size much, they feel about the same. :D

LOL, are you sure you haven't just been wearing more elasticated waists ;)?

Have you got your own thread on the 280 yet, because i will be following it with interest?

1 hour ago, Mr Grump said:

I'd agree, the seats are the same. They do seem to have a little more padding on the centre though but that could just have been lardarse here wearing down the octy seats over time :D