Suberb saloon twindoor question

spade

Hi there!

I have a little language difficulties to climb up, but lets see what we can make.

Situation is this, im going to buy Superb saloon MK II. I have found some interesting cars that might be those i decide to buy. One is Superb 2,0 TDI 2012. Another is Superb 2,0 TDI 2015 so this last one is facelift version. Both cars have driven about same amount of kilometers: 70000 - 80000 km. They have also same equipments.  2015 version cost about 3800€ more than prefacelift.

Has twindoor mechanic some differences between them? I have read how that twindoor mechanism broke wires, so the boot wont work, or there will be some back light problems etc.. How typical is that problem? and have this problem still there in that facelift model, or have Skoda fixed it?
Is there other notable changes between those models?
Which one you would pick and why?

One last question how you feel Superb mkII quality?

Thank you!

As for quality - I have both face lift and prefacelift Superb IIs and they are the best cars for quality I have ever had.

The boot wire problems is not limited to the twin, my estate had it. But they are not a big deal - easy fix.

I would go for newer, though, personally, in black I like the front of prefacelift

The facelift twindoor is easier to operate by pushing cente button to open as a boot or button further right to open as a hatch. I'm not sure if the later models had revised wiring at all?

Must admit I usually open mine as a hatch unless it's raining cats and dogs ( can somewhat deposit rain in the boot!) or if I'm in a location with limited height such as a ferry (which I was this time last week!) 

In addition the facelift came with a few extra goodies (well in the UK anyway). Mine is the petrol S which came with cruise, bluetooth, steering wheel controls etc.. - In addition after being in an older pre-facelift before , it may be perception but I thought the radio/cd seemed to have better sound quality.  These models also have lower CO2 and mine came with stop/start

Edited by bigjohn

Twin door on the facelift is easier to operate as mentioned above.  When I had mine, I usually opened it as a saloon 95% pf the time - the main reason being that when I hit the boot open button on the key fob, the boot struts were strong enough to push open the boot, almost as if it was an electric boot so was very convenient.  Are the spec levels the same on both.  Build quality is very good on either version (I had one of each) and is ahead of anything comparable in the price segment (and above TBH!).  The main changes were aesthetic and the rear of the facelift is much better finished, front also a little different.  Daytime running lights will be LES on the 2015 version (if they are higher spec models anyway)

The cable issue is a easy fix you can do in a few hours yourself. I have the MK11 2010 model 2.0 Superb Elegance with all stuff. I find the twindoor very usable compared to the estate, you can load it from the top and everything is easy accessible, also feel the back seet is a bit more padded ?? as it can not be laid fully down. Anyway, no problems for skiing or anything else as boot is 1m x 1m and the mid section can be put down. Still havent got the roof box. Once had a small ATV fitted in the boot. In my opinion you actually do not need that middle hatch and full hatch would be sufficient, but it is heavier to open for smaller items.  Anyway, liked the look of it, so bougt it. Some initial adjustments on the hatch to get it to lock without sound, it was a bit off when i bought it. After that no probs. Great car when it works.

33 minutes ago, Superb170 said:

When I had mine, I usually opened it as a saloon 95% pf the time - the main reason being that when I hit the boot open button on the key fob, the boot struts were strong enough to push open the boot, almost as if it was an electric boot so was very convenient. 

Hmm, just tried that on my facelift as that would be useful. Sadly the boot only opens a tiny fraction . Might be from the lack of use.

37 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Hmm, just tried that on my facelift as that would be useful. Sadly the boot only opens a tiny fraction . Might be from the lack of use.

Mine opens itself on sallon opening, but closes easiest with hatch - weighted very well for closing

Hi there!

Thank you, very informated and good viewpoints. I really think this car would suit perfect for me, also very nice hear that you feel it is solid quality. Can i ask how many kilometers you have travelled your cars?

jafo, you mentioned dieselgate, and have they fixed. Im not sure what you mean, how i can check is that fixed and if not, what need to be done that it is fixed?

Plutoidefix (nice name by the way!) you mentioned that Twindoor issue is easy to fix, have you some tip or even guide that i could get somewhere?

How about you feel bensin or diesel, how big bensin engine is enough to give Superb good power, if compared 2,0TDI motor? I have seen some 1,8 TSI engines, though im not sure how much they "drink" bensin.

My own car is diesel, but it hasnt this DPF, it is good to have, unfortunately looks like it is quite expensive when it choke, if im understand right usually this happens around 200 000 kilometres. How you feel this DPF have you needed to clean it or even change it to new - how much it have cost?

Twin door fix:- 

My petrol 1.4tsi has done just over 50,000 miles (80,000 km). Nippier than you might imagine and fuel economy reasonable (average thus far 45.9mpg  /  6.15 l/100km)

Re dieselgate - worth checking with the dealer but in the UK something is marked on the vehicle sticker (others will advise - as I have a petrol) - the consensus is DON'T do it / avoid cars with it done!

Edited by bigjohn

Mine has gone 99000km now, 2010 model, 2.0 TDi DSG 140hp. Perfect power, although 170 would of course be a bit more.

140-150hp should be enough for most people. The difference is the torgue with trailer etc. I stick with diesel for this and also more fuel efficient, durable and cheaper than petrol at pump. Have some other issues with my car regarding DSg / Injector, but apart from that perfect for my needs and plenty of space for the kids and extre two bags in the footwell aft. Second hand you get much car for your money. Should i buy today i would buy one with 115000km and all services done including timing belt. Then all "child sicknesses" of the car should be gone ... btw. bensin = petrol.

Edited by Plutoidefix

19 hours ago, spade said:

Can i ask how many kilometers you have travelled your cars?

I did 120K kms in each one.  Both were 170Tdi an elegance and an L&K.  Apart from the EGR valve in the first one, there was nothing major really.  A boot strut went on the second Superb but that was about it mechanically.  I wasn't overly happy with the ride on the L&K but I sorted that with some higher profile tyres.