Odd semi-failed remote unlock.

LB123

Had to change the driver door lock a week ago as the microswitch was not telling the ECU when the drivers door was opened. All fine for a week but now on one click of the remote the three passenger doors unlock but the drivers door button just gives a twitch. A second press of the remote and the drivers door unlocks. Car is coded for all four doors to open on one press of the remote.

Had a look today. No codes. (Probably the first time I have done a full scan and had no codes!) Checked coding of locking. 00067 set which is correct for my car. Reset to selective 00066. Still takes two clicks to open drivers door. Removed door card in case there was some binding on door button or the cable to the handle was too tight. No change. I checked the loom when I did the lock last week.

It does work on single click if I activate the remote unlock while gently pulling the door lock button upwards.

Conclusion is faulty new lock I'm thinking. What a pain!

To add to the above if this is being read I had a look at the lock/unlock sequence in VCDS, module 46 . 8

The doors all report 'safe' when locked by the remote. On single unlock press of the remote the driver door changes to 'locked'. The other three doors change to 'unlocked'. A second press of the unlock button changes the driver door to 'unlocked'.

Listening to the door lock solenoids they seem to give two pulses about half a second apart on the unlock command. One visibly twitches the door lock button and the second raises it. Presumably going from safe - to - locked - to - unlocked. The driver door is only giving a single pulse when the remote unlock is activated, saving its second pulse for the second press of the remote.

However having spent 20 minutes with the VCDS locking and unlocking and watching the behaviour on the screen and then ten minutes locking and unlocking with my ear pressed to various doors the problem suddenly vanished and all doors are unlocking on a single press. 

I'm now hiding inside my house waiting for the men in white coats called by my worried neighbours to come and take me away!

Skodas. Don't you just love em!

For what it's worth, these locks have little d.c. motors and gears in them, not solenoids. Two microswitches right in the middle of the pic detect the position of the gear-driven shaft, the ones in the bottom right signal the key being turned anti/clockwise. Red and blue wires on the left go off to the 'door open' microswitch.

20170401_115004.jpg

Suitably corrected. Motor not solenoid.

So the microswitches. The one out of the picture left is out of the equation. Plays no part in the unlocking although it will report door handle movement to the module .

The two bottom right work fine as the door unlocks normally with the key so also out of the picture.

Leaving the two in the middle as the only possible culprits. But VCDS is correctly reporting conditions of 'safe', 'locked' and 'unlocked'. Suggesting that they too are correctly reporting lock position to the control module.

I wonder if those conclusions are correct and this is down to a confused control module?

Don't know the job of the second white plastic bit on the right or the green bit behind the motor.

What do you advise I do? It has of course defaulted to naughtiness since sucking up earlier this evening. Is it worth trying disconnecting battery  for an hour and see if it relearns correctly? Try a new control module? If so which one. I don't know if my car has just the convenience unit or the extra module that talks mostly to the driverdoor lock.