4x4 Oil Change

Franco99

I bought my Yeti new in 2011 and the same dealer has carried out all the servicing (variable).  I have just received an email telling me that it is time for the 4x4 transmission oil to be changed.  I thought that changing any oil was part of the regular servicing, but apparently that is not so.  The car has done 66000 miles and I wonder if this oil change should have been carried out some time ago?  I am also concerned that there might be other maintenance of which I am not aware.

On 04/10/2017 at 22:58, Franco99 said:

I have just received an email telling me that it is time for the 4x4 transmission oil to be changed.

9 hours ago, Franco99 said:

No, it is a manual box.

Do they mean the Haldex?

This is what I received

Your ŠKODA is an intricate, finely-tuned piece of engineering.

A prime example is your all-wheel-drive system’s electronically controlled 
multi-plate clutch, and our records tell us it’s about time yours had some routine maintenance.

Your drive system uses a high-grade oil to protect and lubricate it and the only way to ensure it stays ticking along nicely is to change the oil and filter every now and then.

The cost is £69 for 4x4 transmission oil change.

^^^ Bargain. Much Cheapness infact.

Pity that Service Desk Staff do not let all owners know what a vehicle with Haldex needs in the way of servicing @ 40,000 miles and many owners are making the manufacturers warranty or extended warranty void by not servicing to Manufacturers Schedule ie 40,000 or even 30,000 miles

Brake fluid change at 3 years then every 2 years, or at least checked for H2o content.

Extra Charge not part of Service Plans or Minor or Major Services.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

1 hour ago, Headinawayoffski said:

^^^ Bargain. Much Cheapness infact.

Pity that Service Desk Staff do not let all owners know what a vehicle with Haldex needs in the way of servicing @ 40,000 miles and many owners are making the manufacturers warranty or extended warranty void by not servicing to Manufacturers Schedule ie 40,000 or even 30,000 miles

Brake fluid change at 3 years then every 2 years, or at least checked for H2o content.

Extra Charge not part of Service Plans or Minor or Major Services.

Now that's exactly the answer I was looking for.  Many thanks.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2017 at 08:37, Franco99 said:

This is what I received

Your ŠKODA is an intricate, finely-tuned piece of engineering.

A prime example is your all-wheel-drive system’s electronically controlled 
multi-plate clutch, and our records tell us it’s about time yours had some routine maintenance.

Your drive system uses a high-grade oil to protect and lubricate it and the only way to ensure it stays ticking along nicely is to change the oil and filter every now and then.

The cost is £69 for 4x4 transmission oil change.

Would be interesting to see if that £69 does actually include the filter change, that the preceding text suggests is necessary :)

Edited by muddyboots

45 minutes ago, Franco99 said:

I asked if the filter had been changed and was told that unlike the DSG, the Haldex doesn't have a filter.

Oh yes it does!

My haldex packed up due to blocked filter causing the pump to fail.

VAG for some reason say there is no filter.

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/guide-generation-4-haldex-trouble-shooting/