Variable Boot / Spare Wheel Options

I am about to order a Superb Estate 1.4 SE and have a question about the variable boot / spare wheel optional extras. My options are as follows:-

Option 1 – Variable Boot at £150 but no spare wheel. I understand this will bring the boot floor level up to the rear sill level and have an approx 5 inch space underneath for storage. Is that correct?

Option 2 – Steel spare wheel at £100. With this option you must also have the Variable Boot as they go together, so a total of £250. I assume the boot level will be level with the sill as per option 1? But will there still be a 5 inch storage space beneath or does the wheel now take up all of that space?

Option 3 – Space Saver wheel at £100. With this option you cannot then also have the variable boot. So with the Space Saver option what level is the boot, is it level with the sill or dropped down 5 inch?

Thank for your help.

The spare will sit under the original floor. The Variable boot floor in upper position will sit level with the sill and folded rear seat with space under. The VF in lower position sits on the original floor.

2 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Option 3 – Space Saver wheel at £100. With this option you cannot then also have the variable boot. So with the Space Saver option what level is the boot, is it level with the sill or dropped down 5 inch?

Thank for your help.

I think it's the other way around. You either have a (nearly) full size spare with the normal boot floor or a space saver with the variable boot floor. 

1 hour ago, simhub said:

I think it's the other way around. You either have a (nearly) full size spare with the normal boot floor or a space saver with the variable boot floor. 

Yes that is what makes sence but I have double checked the Skoda website and the options are the way I have stated ie steel wheel must go with variable boot and space saver wheel cannot have variable boot.

5 minutes ago, Tom99 said:

Yes that is what makes sence but I have double checked the Skoda website and the options are the way I have stated ie steel wheel must go with variable boot and space saver wheel cannot have variable boot.

If you choose the variable floor, the higher spacing on the floor allows a full size steel spare to fit in the gap made, which is why they offer it with the variable floor.  If you stick with the standard floor height only a space saver will fit.

The problem with only fitting the full size spare is that the variable floor can only be at the upper height with it fitted, so if you want it lower the wheel will have to come out.  

The only way around it (it seems) is to buy a space saver and wheel kit afterwards, but this will cost more than the £100 from the factory and you will have the compressor and gunk bottle.

Ok, this depends what you mean by a full size spare. I have the normal boot floor with a 205 width spare wheel underneath. That's not technically full size because the tyres on the car are 235 width, but it's also not the (I think) 135 width space saver that skoda offer. 

4 minutes ago, roo said:

If you choose the variable floor, the higher spacing on the floor allows a full size steel spare to fit in the gap made, which is why they offer it with the variable floor.  If you stick with the standard floor height only a space saver will fit.

The problem with only fitting the full size spare is that the variable floor can only be at the upper height with it fitted, so if you want it lower the wheel will have to come out.  

The only way around it (it seems) is to buy a space saver and wheel kit afterwards, but this will cost more than the £100 from the factory and you will have the compressor and gunk bottle.

Yes that also makes sense. But if the space saver will allow a variable boot floor to drop down to a lower level why is the variable boot not available with the space saver?

13 minutes ago, Tom99 said:

Yes that also makes sense. But if the space saver will allow a variable boot floor to drop down to a lower level why is the variable boot not available with the space saver?

Dunno, I guess Skoda think that you would want a full size with the variable floor. 

As the full size sits higher up it probably touches the bottom of the variable floor, so I guess it would also prevent it sagging in the middle over time and aid in boot floor weight distribution.

I would rather a full size over a space saver or compressor with gunk any day, but I can only spec a space saver, so that is what I have chosen.  The gunk comes a distant last.  If I have a puncture I'd rather change the tyre and try to get it fixed rather than spray the gunk in it and have to change the tyre anyway.  Also if you unfortunately have a blow out the gunk is useless and you would need to call out for towing to a tyre place.

Messing around with the config on Skoda website for mine I put in variable boot floor and then had to select spare wheel (PJB) - but when the order confirmation came through to sign from dealer I had variable boot floor with space saver (PJA)...  Queried with them and his response was "we only have one option for spare wheel in our system" so who knows what I will have when the car turns up!!

I have a space saver and the variable boot floor, this was available two years ago when I ordered my car so not sure if it is now, things may have changed.

Just checked the configurator and you can have the temporary spare (space saver) with the variable floor, no problem.

There is no option for a full sized wheel.

btw, I see they are still only offering blue as a colour and just grey (various shades) as any other option, will seriously consider my replacement next year if this is still so, have a petrol blue car now and when  I change will want a different colour and not a grey.

Edited by philsmith

4 hours ago, philsmith said:

Just checked the configurator and you can have the temporary spare (space saver) with the variable floor, no problem.

There is no option for a full sized wheel.

I don't know how you are getting that - checked SE Estate and L&K Estate and if I select variable boot floor then space saver wheel is greyed out only full size available.  Equally if I select space saver wheel then variable boot floor is greyed out.  Both are there, right next to each other.

I don't really mind which I get as neither are suitable for doing any great distance on, so long as I can "vary" the boot floor if required.

Before any selection made:

image.png.78e853ba5abb001306317f665b265024.png

After selecting variable boot floor:

image.png.28230d0bb926549cfcad5f97cca2ee2d.png

I have now had a fairly comprehensive reply from one dealer which I think answers the questions I had. This was as follows:-

In response to your questions-

Option 1 VB and no wheel - you are correct, 5 inch space for storage.

Option 2 VB plus steel wheel - again, correct the boot becomes level with the sill but you lose some of the 5 inch storage space, about half.

Option 3 Space Saver wheel no VB - the boot level is dropped 5 inches, no option for the variable boot floor. The space saver spare wheel has the tools arranged around it, not inside it, therefore reducing the height. This need for increased area encroaches in where the variable boot floor is supported, therefore cannot be done.”

Thanks everyone for your replies which has helped me understand how the options work.

Well I have the variable boot floor with 5 inches of space and the small space saver spare with the tools inside the wheel, not arranged around it, they must have changed the spec since I bought mine two years ago.

nicklouse, from the pictures the two wheels look exactly the same?

my wheel is up the other way with a polystyrene insert that holds the jack and tools, would take a picture but I use the 5" space to carry my display units for slot car shows and don't want to get it all out!

12 minutes ago, simhub said:

I think the dealer's option 3 is wrong.  I definitely have a 205 width spare wheel under the normal boot floor in a MY18 car.

By 'normal boot floor' do you mean the one that is about 5 inch below the rear sill level? Also did you have the variable boot floor as well? Thanks.

19 hours ago, Tom99 said:

By 'normal boot floor' do you mean the one that is about 5 inch below the rear sill level? Also did you have the variable boot floor as well? Thanks.

I don't have the variable floor, so my boot floor is about 5 inches below the boot lip.

1 hour ago, simhub said:

I don't have the variable floor, so my boot floor is about 5 inches below the boot lip.

Yes that is what I was calling a normal boot floor and below which the dealer is saying only a space saver wheel will fit.

I was considering the variable boot floor but some online comments say it is flimsy. I need to climb in and out, and it would need to support my weight. Does anyone have a view on that?

I fully load the car, at least 100 kilos I would say, onto the variable floor and have no problems with it being flimsy, 

Worst thing about it is that when it's empty it can rattle over bumps as it has no catch!

2 minutes ago, philsmith said:

I fully load the car, at least 100 kilos I would say, onto the variable floor and have no problems with it being flimsy, 

Worst thing about it is that when it's empty it can rattle over bumps as it has no catch!

Do you think it would support an adult climbing on it?

I climb in it and it takes my weight and I am not light, unless your filling it with bags of sand and cement up to the roof I would say it is strong enough for anyhting you may put in.

I have had no problems and I do load the car to the roof.

Picture 005.jpg

3 minutes ago, philsmith said:

I climb in it and it takes my weight and I am not light, unless your filling it with bags of sand and cement up to the roof I would say it is strong enough for anyhting you may put in.

I have had no problems and I do load the car to the roof.

Ok thanks, I will reconsider the variable boot. Do you have a spare wheel under yours if so what size is the wheel and is there still a small storeage gap under the variable boot?

I have the space saver wheel and there is about a 5 inch space between the lower floor and the variable floor when the variable floor is in the up position

I store my display units in this space.

btw the lower floor that covers the space saver is not very strong and is quite flimsy but you do not really use this as the variable floor lowers onto this, unless for some reason you take the variable floor out which you can do.

• 4 months later...

Hi Phil (Smith)

That sounds useful, if you have the space saver and variable floor, which is what I've just ordered at the dealers.

Could be some fun and games ahead because they just went on what I asked for, no configurator, don't even think they knew much about that.

The configurator refuses space saver with variable floor but forces variable floor with the standard spare. I'd always thought that to be wrong when reasoning that a space saver would leave room for a variable floor to operate whereas a standard, wider spare would not. But not having seen all of this first hand, I could be wrong.

Anyway all of this is in direct conflict with what the pricing list options say, and that in the light of what you have, seem right to me:

"Temporary space-saver spare wheel only available on 2.0 TSI 280PS or in
combination with variable boot floor.".
.....whatever that means....

The configurator must be wrong. I'll message Skoda.

Dave

I have a temporary spare plus the variable boot floor, it was not a problem just normal options, they may have changed configurations since I ordered my car in September '15 though.