Poor fuel economy 2017 1.2 TSi DSG

greenstripe

They can be very economical and not just if you drive like driving Miss Daisy.   Changes up quick,  and drops gears to get the not so light Yeti shifting, more power supposedly than the previous 1.2,  which is dropped in new cars like Octavia or Karoq for a 1.0tsi because less false EU test results. Maybe real world economy achieved.

I have had my Yeti SE 1.2 TSi with DSG for just over 12 months and have done around 3600 miles.  Much of my driving is into town and back but I have had some longer runs. I am pleased with the fuel consumption so far. 

On a long run to Norfolk at a steady 65 on the motorway and good A roads, it returned 54 mpg. Whilst in pure town driving it drops to around 38 mpg, averaged out over the year (according to the Fuel checking APP on my  phone) it has been averaging 43 mpg.  Just got back from a week's holiday in North Devon and driving from Somerset into the lumpy bits of North Devon and then back over Exmoor (including via Linton & Lynmouth and Porlock) it returned 45 mpg. 

Edited by greendragon54
Spelling correction

How about, on my drive home tonight, I'll get someone to get a sound recording of it and see if it shows up on that. I'm inclined to not be too bothered about it because I've had much worse noises and niggles to turn out to be nothing. I'll post the sound clip later on.

Get it checked by a competent master tech then,  try driving another one the same as yours, and do not believe 'they all do that, characteristics etc,  because they do not all behave that way.   Maybe try a tank of sainsbury super unleaded or tesco moment 99.  Only costs £2.50 extra a fill up if even that. 

7 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Get it checked by a competent master tech then,  try driving another one the same as yours, and do not believe 'they all do that, characteristics etc,  because they do not all behave that way.   Maybe try a tank of sainsbury super unleaded or tesco moment 99.  Only costs £2.50 extra a fill up if even that. 

Could fuel really make a difference? I did drive a 1.2 dsg Yeti, same year as mine. Sadly I was only in it for 5 mins, I drove up to 30mph, it changed into 5th, then turned around and drove back. I was testing that for another issue! I missed the opportunity really! The engine note did drop to as low as mine, but i didnt get it to go into 6th to produce the vibrations.

Guest FurryFriend

I have read through this whole post with amazement! 

We also have the Yeti 1.2 DSG. We live on the outskirts of Gateshead/Newcastle on Tyne, so our daily driving usually can be anything from Motorway A1M, Major trunk roads A19, A1, A194 and many others. Also shopping and local journeys either through the Tyne tunnel, or directly through the

centre of Newcastle over the Tyne Bridge. 

So our driving is through traffic every bit as heavy as anywhere else in the UK. 

We have never got below 42.6mpg  and usually manage nearer 44.1. On long runs (up to Inverness and down to Exeter where we have family) we have always got 48 to 51mpg.

So what do I conclude? Apart from the obvious fact that manufacturers always over egg their mpg figures. 

Our car runs fine. No problems, as indeed we wouldn't expect there to be on a new vehicle. Now with 6500'ish miles  on it, it's certainly run in. 

I think the right foot is your enemy. That's not a criticism. But we rarely take the car to 70mph, 65 is just as good, We brake gently, accelerate gently,  read the road ahead (we are both IAM members), and if people want to go faster than us, and get there quicker than us.... we usually spot them 2 cars ahead at the lights after stressing themselves  and other road users out, driving like their house was on fire.... then.... Get on with it. Love your car, and it will love you back.

Try it.... Less stressful, and your mpg will be much better too. I promise! :)

Edited by FurryFriend

Just now, FurryFriend said:

I have read through this whole post with amazement! 

We also have the Yeti 1.2 DSG. We live on the outskirts of Gateshead/Newcastle on Tyne, so our daily driving usually can be anything from Motorway A1M, Major trunk roads A19, A1, A194 and many others. Also shopping and local journeys either through the Tyne tunnel, or directly through the

centre of Newcastle over the Tyne Bridge. 

So our driving is through traffic every bit as heavy as anywhere else in the UK. 

We have never got below 42.6mpg  and usually manage nearer 44.1. On long runs (up to Inverness and down to Exeter where we have family) we have always got 48 to 51mpg.

So what do I conclude? Apart from the obvious fact that manufacturers always over egg their mpg figures. 

Our car runs fine. No problems, as indeed we wouldn't expect there to be on a new vehicle. Now with 6500'ish miles  on it, it's certainly run in. 

I think the right foot is your enemy. That's not a criticism. But we rarely, take the car to 70mph. We brake gently, accelerate gently,  read the road ahead (we are both IAM members), and if people want to go faster than us, then.... Get on with it. Love your car, anf it will love you back.

Try it.... Less stressful, and your mpg will be much better too.

I still have the issue of the vibrations/labouring if I am too gentle with the car. Do you experience any labouring when you try to accelerate if the car shifts into say 6th gear at just over 30mph?

For less than the price of sitting someplace and buying a coffee you can see if super unleaded makes a difference.   Then as to service and maintenance, diagnostics, seeing if new plugs or coils are needed or a software update that costs more.  ?  How many miles has the Yeti done?

It is a 2014 1.2L DSG. With 23k miles on it. It had a new mechatronics unit 7k miles ago too.

I've been back to the dealer so many times, this is a replacement car due to issues with the first. I am very reluctant to go back unless it is really necessary

Just got back from the supermarket and got my quarterly fill up while I was there (perhaps the fact that I run around with a full tank knocks a few mpg off). I'm now at 3,160 miles and this time my mpg is 34.62 whilst the average has dropped very slightly to 34.72.

Bearing in mind my antipathy towards the 'electronic accelerator' I wonder if that is partly to blame when what seem like unnecessary gear changes occur. I've found that it's a little counter-intuitive in that I can sometimes stop the car changing down too soon by lifting my right foot very slightly.

Just now, longedge said:

Just got back from the supermarket and got my quarterly fill up while I was there (perhaps the fact that I run around with a full tank knocks a few mpg off). I'm now at 3,160 miles and this time my mpg is 34.62 whilst the average has dropped very slightly to 34.72.

Bearing in mind my antipathy towards the 'electronic accelerator' I wonder if that is partly to blame when what seem like unnecessary gear changes occur. I've found that it's a little counter-intuitive in that I can sometimes stop the car changing down too soon by lifting my right foot very slightly.

Do you mean that you find the car changes down too eagerly? I find that my car holds higher gears until probably 1100 rpm, maybe even less usually.

26 minutes ago, gman88667733 said:

Do you mean that you find the car changes down too eagerly?

Yes - in particular, we have a long straight 1 in 5 hill near where I live and traffic generally takes a run at it. If I keep my foot down then as soon the car 'feels' the hill starting, it will change down straight away. If I ease off slightly then it will hold the higher gear a little longer and match more closely what I would have chosen in a manual gearbox. Perhaps just me being too pernickity. I know from past experience that mollycoddling a car too much does it no good at all and they benefit from a 'bit of stick' now and then :).

Just now, longedge said:

Yes - in particular, we have a long straight 1 in 5 hill near where I live and traffic generally takes a run at it. If I keep my foot down then as soon the car 'feels' the hill starting, it will change down straight away. If I ease off slightly then it will hold the higher gear a little longer and match more closely what I would have chosen in a manual gearbox. Perhaps just me being too pernickity. I know from past experience that mollycoddling a car too much does it no good at all and they benefit from a 'bit of stick' now and then :).

Mine performs like that on hills, however, my issue with my car is on flat roads. The car never wants to downshift and feels like it is labouring, the car vibrates a bit on acceleration in a higher gear at low RPM.

Simples then, 

New Mechatronic Unit at only 16,000 miles and still the DSG is not right.

So is the car out of Warranty now, still Skoda is going to have to get competent technicians onto the case, 

after all they know the Fundamental problem and why the MCU's failed and why Service Campaign '34H5' was started last year.

Software Update.

2 minutes ago, Headinawayoffski said:

Simples then, 

New Mechatronic Unit at only 16,000 miles and still the DSG is not right.

So is the car out of Warranty now, still Skoda is going to have to get competent technicians onto the case, 

after all they know the Fundamental problem and why the MCU's failed and why Service Campaign '34H5' was started last year.

Software Update.

I got the car 2 months go. I have a year warranty with Skoda for it. I think the guy said it Mech unit was replaced because it was cracked or something? (I may be way off with that, but I think that's what it said on the online service book) I've sent an enquiry email to a Skoda garage a bit closer to me to see if they can have a look at it since I have a Skoda warranty.

The moral of the story is, I should've kept my reliable, manual UP.....

Edited by gman88667733

My Yeti SE 1.2 DSG has returned an average of 40mpg since I got it. Nowhere near as good as my previous diesels but what I'd expect for a small turbo petrol engine in a car with the aerodynamics of a brick!:cool:

Fred

Just now, Headinawayoffski said:

Mechatronic Units 2013-2015 were and are failing due to Manufacturing or Software issue, 

and hence Software Update '34H5', 

So best get on with the Warranty Claim.

But my car changes up at the same speed as any other 1.2l dsg Yeti, it just seems to labour more than others?

It sounds faulty, has been faulty, has a new MCU has a warranty, so best get sorted while in warranty..

?

Was the MCU replaced since November 2016?

Some started getting sofrware updates last November, some in 2017.

Sorry but you can only lead a horse to water, you can not make them drink.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/432730-oil-leak 

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Just now, Headinawayoffski said:

It sounds faulty, has been faulty, has a new MCU has a warranty, so best get sorted while in warranty..

?

Was the MCU replaced since November 2016?

Some started getting sofrware updates last November, some in 2017.

Sorry but you can only lead a horse to water, you can not make them drink.

It had a new MCU at 15k miles, I have no idea when that would've been. As I've said, I've sent an enquiry off to a different Skoda garage to see if they can take a look at it.