Stupid Fabia door !

gfwc

Back after a long absence, :) I’ve been sorting out one of my estates. I changed the door on it yesterday for one  from an 06 Vrs because my window reg had been wrecked and it’s easier just to swap the door than anything else. 

Now unfortunately the motors were different which meant I wasn’t able to plug In my electric wing mirror, I wasn’t bothered about this though. 

So so I plugged in all that I could, tested the window and it all worked. Great! Then put all the door card back on, switched ignition off and on again, and then it stopped working completely. Stripped the whole thing down again to check, no obvious problems, plugged it back in, it then worked. Switch ignition off and on again, window stops working. 

Grrrrr! Why it do this!! 

The Vrs and elegance/comfort use different motors/modules as you’ve found out, so that’s a shame.

The motors are very common for failing intermittently for a while as well. Usually if you unplug them and plug them back in that can fix them.

1 minute ago, hutchysrs50 said:

The Vrs and elegance/comfort use different motors/modules as you’ve found out, so that’s a shame.

The motors are very common for failing intermittently for a while as well. Usually if you unplug them and plug them back in that can fix them.

Yeah mine was crunching and grinding and I think the cable was all wrecked so thought I’d just swap the door. 

Whats annoying is that this door works perfectly when it’s just connected, window goes up and down and it’s great. Soon as you cycle the ignition, it stops. What’s that all about :( 

6 hours ago, hutchysrs50 said:

Can you not just swap the original motor from the damaged door?

I could have done, I took the old door to the tip though when the new one was working. Never mind. 

3 hours ago, TripleMcB said:

When you have the door card on and in position it's not touching any of the cables and earthing the motor against the door frame?

I checked this, thank you for your input. It’s really strange and has annoyed me. The parts are clearly compatible as they work when first all connected up, but as soon as I cycle the ignition, the window stops working. 

Its rsther odd, I’m sure it’s some kind of coding perhaps, but who knows. 

I dont know why it would be doing this but I know what I would be trying to sort it.

The power for the windows only comes when the ignition is active and for a few seconds after, I would try and figure out which wire this was and run it striaght (Through a fuse for saftey) to the battery, that way the window would never know the ignition was off?

Im not 100% which wires which but I see no reason that wouldnt work.... wouldnt go chopping wires based on this till someone more experienced has seconded it.

• Like 1

Its the module on the motor playing up, mine did the same, cut the power and all working shut the key off and no windows working upon switching back on, replaced the motor in mine sorted