New (to me) Fabia VRS 1.4 TSI without warranty

Ramp

Hi all,

I've seen a Fabia VRS 1.4 TSI  2013 that Im considering purchasing, its got 30k on the clock and I like it, I haven't seen any service history as of yet, I've rang skoda who have never serviced the vehicle and have told me to ring my local skoda dealer because it has a outstanding service campaign (that just means it hasn't been serviced by them ?) they also said because the warranty has expired I cannot buy a warranty from them.

What would you do ? as much as I love the car and really want it my heads telling me to forget about it.

You will get plenty help in the Fabia Mk2 Section, and there are pinned threads there that will help.

A 2013 CTHE engine vRS might have had DSG Service Campaign '34F5', Mineral Oil instead of Synthetic oil in now and a Software Update, 

or need that doing.  Sticker in the Spare Tyre Well if done.

Or started last year, Service Campaign '34H5' software update needed on some 2013-2015.

You want Skoda to tell you in writing the past Warranty History.

No Skoda Service History does not stop you buying a Skoda Warranty, or does the 3 year one expiring,

But you need the Service history showing the Service Schedule / Guidelines were carried out since new, 

and OEM parts used, VAT registered garage, etc.

You had best read up on Spark Plugs, Oil users, even early CTHE,  then Squirters (oil Spray Jets.) & now Timing Chains stretch or Tensioner issues are a growing issue, even below 40,000 miles.

Lots to check out.

Buyer beware, and try and get a Warranty.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

'34F7'  will show if outstanding, '34H5' might not.

Skoda UK Customer Services know what is outstanding if they try really hard, or even just look.

There are Heated Seat Service Campaigns, they should be 'Full Recalls', very dangerous nit to take actions since they have known for 6 years.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/recall-actions 

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Thanks Headinaway I must have read nearly all your posts today in the Mk2 section, I appreciate your info.

I also cannot find anything telling me I cant buy a skoda warranty because the old one has expired by a few months but the lady I spoke to was adamant this was the case.

Checking the recall link comes back with 'No relevant recall campaigns have been launched by ŠKODA for the entered VIN '

I will ring my local skoda tomorrow and see what they say though I think its put me off to be honest, I feel this should of already been sorted by the dealer selling it to me, I think Im back to looking for a Focus 182.

Is it a Skoda Main Dealer selling the car, but not a Skoda Approved Used car?

They do not service if no service is due even with Skoda Approved Used Cars.

Not checking outstanding Service Campaigns, or Skoda Secret Service Campaigns in inexcusable. 

The Commission on the 'Skoda Approved Used Car Warranty' Car Care Ltd was good for the 24 month Warranty yet finding out at dealerships was never easy.

Now the Extended Warranty seems to be something even Skoda UK Customer Services know nothing about, they are really rather useless.

Do not buy until you know the car is unmodified, and has Full Servicing,  because it is easy to buy, but the T&C's are important.

Go for Full Components,  Skoda / VW can not say known faults, Twincharger / DSG, because they know them, just never 

admit they are their faults.

12 Months cover, under 1.4 litre ie 1390cc All Compnents.

Extended Warranty from ŠKODA Insurance – putting ŠKODA into your insurance..mhtml

The example price is within 14 days of the manufacturers warranty expiring, but you can buy their product a year or more after the Warranty Expired.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

Thanks for more info, Its from a Evans Halshaw and not skoda approved, Evans Halshaw do offer there own warranty but I've not heard great things about it so wanted to go with skoda.

Test buying the skoda warranty online seems to go through ok, at least as far as I can without actually buying it, it says it needs to be serviced to the schedule or they wont pay out, that part worried me, if it hasn't theres nothing I can do about it buying it now even if I keep to the schedule.

A service campaign like a software update would I have to pay for this ? or would it be free.

If there are Service Campaigns like the DSG 2013-2015 '34H5',  or the previous '34F7'  they are free at a Main Dealer.

Seat Heater or other Service Campaign Recall Actions are free, really they are safety issues and preventative measures, they should be recalls.

I have been 4 times at Evans Halshaw checking out Mk2 vRS for members.

3 in Edninburgh, a Yellow & a Green Estate and a Grey Hatch. The Hatch was actually almost too good to be true, so i could not figure out why.

Both Estates had replacement engines, .

The one White Hatch in their Glasgow Ford Garage was a mystery. Very strange amount of previous keepers and moved around the car trade.

The Salespeople knew nothing, tried to make out they did know, were only caring aboout selling some family shopper car, 

and the oil in all 3 were over filled.

Prices were too high as well and they would not budge, but week by week the 'Asking Price dropped' on them.

PS

Re Serviced to Schedule.

A 2013 vRS left the Factory with Long Life Oil, no Service Regime for the DQ200.

Variable Servicing from the factory which means 18,500-20,000 Miles / 2 Years to First Service, 

then 2nd Service would be at least another 9,400 miles / 372 days if not Long Life Oil used, or 18,500-20,000 miles if left on Variable.

So as long as 2 Oil & Filter changes done the car is Serviced to Manufacturers Schedule Guidelines, maybe not at a Main Dealers though.

So that should not Void a Warranty, & Skoda / VW had no 'Recalls' on vRS from 2010-2017.

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

Thanks Headinaway, I sacked it off and bought a Focus 182 id had my eye on.

I was gutted and really wanted the Skoda but just know it woulda gone wrong, seem like awesome cars if you get a good one but im not much of a risk taker and the odds were even worst with that one.

I appreciate the information shared on here.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Ramp said:

Thanks Headinaway, I sacked it off and bought a Focus 182 id had my eye on.

I was gutted and really wanted the Skoda but just know it woulda gone wrong, seem like awesome cars if you get a good one but im not much of a risk taker and the odds were even worst with that one.

I appreciate the information shared on here.

In the circumstances (lack of background / service) you definitely did the right thing walking away from the vRS.  

• Like 1