The most unlikely places that DSG sport mode is useful

Multi-storey car park to guarantee starting in 1st gear.  Much more responsive if one has to halt on a ramp between floors. Counter intuitive that one of the slowest places to drive benefits from sport! Any other unlikely uses?

• Like 2

Yes, I sometimes use sport mode at not so sporty moments!.  Some  examples are car parks also like above, so you’re not the only one.  In slow moving stop start traffic, great for holding first gear as D jumps to second too quick.  Getting from my driveway to the road - as there is a slight incline, it jumps to second which I don’t want so keep it in sport until I get onto the road.  Also, getting onto the main road near my house is a nightmare - I always have to keep it in S1 to help me get out safely.  Of course, I use it for overtakes as well.

If just for slow moving why not just push it sideways and make sure it stays in the gear that you want, and slide it back when you are done?

Edited by knfruitbat
spelling

8 hours ago, knfruitbat said:

If just for slow moving why not just push it sideways and make sure it stays in the gear that you want, and slide it back when you are done?

first months i used to DSG Minus padle to help slowing down by engine, but a second before car stops DSG changes gear by self from 1 to 2,
S mode prevents self switching from 1>2 gear

also doesn't require repeated press of DSG Minus Padle when slowing down,
new habit is, a second or two before break pedal i put DSG to S and changing back to D when 2. gear is reached

5 hours ago, MartiniB said:

first months i used to DSG Minus padle to help slowing down by engine, but a second before car stops DSG changes gear by self from 1 to 2,
S mode prevents self switching from 1>2 gear

also doesn't require repeated press of DSG Minus Padle when slowing down,
new habit is, a second or two before break pedal i put DSG to S and changing back to D when 2. gear is reached

I do this too. Saves on break wear.

Exactly my point, maybe because like you I have paddles. On inclines, loose or slippery surfaces the computer can get it wrong. Suppose depends if you are just driving off a drive and then want to pull away, or on a constant longer surface like above or a muddy field where maybe you want to hold on to 2nd.