What is the best premium diesel to put in my Skoda Octavia TDI VRS?

negaultra7

Premium Diesels will be ones with higher cetane. Likely in the UK that will be Shell, BP or ESSO Premium at the premium price.

there is no best is there, just which ever you chose to pay for.

If it is standard diesel even out a pump at a ESSO, BP, Texaco or Shell station it will just be diesel.

They are offering nothing special.

^^^^ Total Tosh,  but you pays your money, makes your choices, and monitor your fuel use and see for yourself how or where you drive, 

or what base fuels are sold where you buy from.

Higher Cetane or higher Octane has the affect you expect on vehicles that can benefit from a higher Cetane or Octane.

Winter Diesel and Petrol now being delivered to Filling Stations in Scotland and the North of England and further south as the month goes on.

Less Hygroscopic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_rating 

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel 

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

@negaultra7 - I wouldn't pay extra for "premium diesel"; it makes no difference to power or economy. Buy whatever brand name is cheapest and/or most convenient.

I have never paid more then I needed to, petrol or deisal. Except when in a little Alpine tax free place - put super something in my motorbike - ran like a dog

Some lovely Winter Fuels both Diesel & Petrol with higher Cetane or Octane in Continental European countries for not any extra cash money, 

some real to the standard only fuels in the UK.

Off the Diesel Topic, and premium diesel, 

but lots of people do not know that there is Winter Petrol as well as Winter Diesel (Winter diesel to inhibit waxing.)

UK still buying winter gasoline as European refiners switch to summer - Oil _ Platts News Article & Story.mhtml

Hi Neil,

I almost always seek out the nearest/cheapest supermarket diesel (via petrolprices.com email updates), then add a measure of Millers Ecomax fuel additive, have used it and its predecessors since 1988, it's made near here, it helps with snappier starting, keeps fuel system clean, smoke-free, sails through MOT emissions test, improves MPG.

As George (Headinawayoffski) says, the idea is to boost the CETANE rating of the fuel, that is, its combustibiity, its readiness to burn.

By doing that, I find the faster starting helps the car's battery to last longer, it can also make diesels marginally quieter.  

Look up Millers Oils of Brighouse.

Quite pricy now, and not all car spares/motor factors stock Millers products (their oils are good too), but worth seeking out, and a 500ml bottle seems to last me about a year.

About £15 per bottle, I recall.

Other similar products are available, eg Redex.

Millers and Redex and the others not only do fuel additives for diesels, they also produce different formulae for petrols too.

Hope that helps

Richard

2 hours ago, RichardatWakefield said:

Hi Neil,

I almost always seek out the nearest/cheapest supermarket diesel (via petrolprices.com email updates), then add a measure of Millers Ecomax fuel additive, have used it and its predecessors since 1988, it's made near here, it helps with snappier starting, keeps fuel system clean, smoke-free, sails through MOT emissions test, improves MPG.

As George (Headinawayoffski) says, the idea is to boost the CETANE rating of the fuel, that is, its combustibiity, its readiness to burn.

By doing that, I find the faster starting helps the car's battery to last longer, it can also make diesels marginally quieter.  

Look up Millers Oils of Brighouse.

Quite pricy now, and not all car spares/motor factors stock Millers products (their oils are good too), but worth seeking out, and a 500ml bottle seems to last me about a year.

About £15 per bottle, I recall.

Other similar products are available, eg Redex.

Millers and Redex and the others not only do fuel additives for diesels, they also produce different formulae for petrols too.

Hope that helps

Richard

Hi Richard

Thats a great idea i liked it so much ive just ordered some for £11.95 off the internet

Thanks for the info

Cheers

Neil

On 10/17/2017 at 11:13, Headinawayoffski said:

^^^^ Total Tosh,  but you pays your money, makes your choices, and monitor your fuel use and see for yourself how or where you drive, 

or what base fuels are sold where you buy from.

Higher Cetane or higher Octane has the affect you expect on vehicles that can benefit from a higher Cetane or Octane.

Winter Diesel and Petrol now being delivered to Filling Stations in Scotland and the North of England and further south as the month goes on.

Less Hygroscopic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_rating 

http://volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel 

OK, I'll bite. Point me at an engine that has the technology needed to measure Cetane index and vary injection timing accordingly.

No need to bite,  if no such engines exist then you will be proved correct,  waste of money,

they all sound like tractors to me,

i even run my BMW 335d on Standard diesel as there is no noticeable difference with UK speed limits and climate as far as i am concerned.

As far as improved economy, then that will be for those that try to drive economically that monitor their fuel use and what is used to say.

But if people want the higher cetane diesel to get their sporty looking diesels feeling better then they are available at filling stations.

If they start and run smoother in the cold, produce less emissions / smoke, or even give 1-2 mpg improvement then they might be worth it.

As to many older diesels, Used Veg Oil is good enough for them, or any old crap, as to Euro 5 VW Group Engines, 

who knows what they can benefit from, as it was they had defeat devices so that under testing emissions could be reduced and on the road pollute to their hearts delight.

My 2016 Euro 6 TDI / SCR is drinking a litre of oil every 5,000 miles, and has somehow stopped using as much Ad-Blue after the first re-fill.

does 10 miles to the liter of super market diesel and no more with Premium Diesel.

As to the differences in octanes of petrol and the benefits on which engines, that i know about.

Strange how these questions always end up with the same argument.

Personally I use Tesco's standard diesel so I can collect the clubcard points and use an annual fuel treatment (BG244 or Archoil 6400-D) to clean the engine. Never had any problems with 100's of 1000's miles clocked up since I've been driving diesels. As stated most diesel cars can't make use of the high compression before ignition without major work being carried out. The knock sensor will ensure diesel cars will run on a lot lower cetane fuel and they are usually mapped from the manufacture to accommodate for the lowest fuel standards within the market they are sold.

Petrol cars can make use of higher octane fuels easier with just simply remaps that can delay the ignition. In premium fuel the main benefit is the extra detergents added to it to clean the engine but once cleaned they can't improve things any further. You are paying a premium for this by paying for it in the fuel rather than added per tank with something like Millers or an annual treatment. 

I've tried running back to back tank fulls of supermarket and premium to see if any difference in economy and not really noticed any differences and certainly not enough to warrant the price difference.

• Like 1

I've had issues running my diesel on the standard stuff as I get sticky vane issues. I found that BP ultimate is a bit smoky out the back and Vpower tended to burn cleaner for me. 

YMMV and to each their own :).

I found it took about 2 tanks worth of fills to see a difference either way. 

Given the lack of overboost issues I've had since using premium, I've decided to stick to it but as in CWARD's case it makes no difference, then I would've certainly stuck to cheap stuff :)

Maybe we should get a sticky for this question :D

Edited by bspman

@Headinawayoffski - Which is my point really; unless a diesel engine can vary its injection timing for varying citane index it will run equally well on any supply that meets the British Standard. The veggie oil argument really only applies to mechanical injection systems like the old PSA XUD family though.

I'll cheerfully agree with you and @CWARD about the benefits of higher octane petrol in engines with knock sensors (which I know exist).

Edited by KenONeill
Typo

Sorry but i can not agree as running equally as well, the lower Cetane meets the BS standard required, the minimum standard and with the max Bio allowed in many cases.

If you are bothered then buy better than the meeting the Minimum but that is hard to know what or where that comes from.

Winter Diesel delivered today North of Perth.  done 150 miles on it since filling, lovely Standard Winter Diesel.

Greenergy is the producer & wholeseller, BS Diesel, but who delivered to and from which Deport or Import port who knows.

Well unless you ask the driver, so i did.

http://greenergy.com/uk/independent 

http://greenergy.com/about 

http://ipu.co.uk/en590 

**Maybe fake news, Myth, Just sales talk, bumff.**

http://oilem.com/tag/bs-en590-diesel 

Greenergy and Royal Dutch Shell co-own the various importation and storage facilities / depots.

http://xpo.com 

What i will do soon is dyno my BMW on Standard Diesel and the after filled and run and refilled with Shell V-Power Diesel.

DSCN3268.JPG

I filled up on Thursday with TESCO Diesel from the diesel that tanker delivered or just what ever was left in the tank.

So for over 15,000 miles since last November i have been doing 630 miles then filling up with 63 litres if it took that, sometime less needed.

Tesco, Asda & the occasional Sainsbury's, & Nov to March / April this year will have been Winter Diesel, new tyres etc etc.

This last tank fill up gave 710 miles before filling up yesterday and it took 64 litres.

Surely not just that while waiting for the tanker to do its job i put the 4 tyres up from 36psi to 40psi,

Weather in the last few days no different from recent, mid teens still daytime.

Must see how the Sainsbury's diesel i used yesterday does for economy, and if any difference.

• Like 1