Rear heated windscreen causes DAB to drop and FM signal to be weak

Hey folks,

Long story short, my car was rear ended and repaired about a month ago. Since then I’ve been having trouble with my DAB.  When I turn on the rear heated windscreen the DAB signal drops and the radio reverts to FM signal and it’s extremly weak FM signal at that.  Once the heated rear windscreen is turned off, after about a minute the DAB signal returns to normal.

I’ve informed the body shop that did the repairs, which to be honest the rest of their work on the new bootlid and bumper are great.  They have told me to bring it up tomorrow for investigation. 

I did a bit bit of googling on the issue and found a few folks on Audi forums having similar issues as it would appear that the rear heater elements double as the antenna on some Audi saloons.

On my Superb estate I have a little shark fin style antenna, so assumed that was the main and only antenna?  I am just curious if anyone else has come across this before. 

Obviously I’ll be making sure the body shop fix it as the car never had this issue prior to going into them for the repair work.

Thanks Stephen 

22 hours ago, peacockealot said:

Hey folks,

Long story short, my car was rear ended and repaired about a month ago. Since then I’ve been having trouble with my DAB.  When I turn on the rear heated windscreen the DAB signal drops and the radio reverts to FM signal and it’s extremly weak FM signal at that.  Once the heated rear windscreen is turned off, after about a minute the DAB signal returns to normal.

I’ve informed the body shop that did the repairs, which to be honest the rest of their work on the new bootlid and bumper are great.  They have told me to bring it up tomorrow for investigation. 

I did a bit bit of googling on the issue and found a few folks on Audi forums having similar issues as it would appear that the rear heater elements double as the antenna on some Audi saloons.

On my Superb estate I have a little shark fin style antenna, so assumed that was the main and only antenna?  I am just curious if anyone else has come across this before. 

Obviously I’ll be making sure the body shop fix it as the car never had this issue prior to going into them for the repair work.

Thanks Stephen 

Hi Stephan, pretty sure the shark fin antenna is for the GPS - at least it is on the Octavia estate.  The rear screen element doubles as the DAB antenna.

• Like 1

Greetings,

My manual, for October 2014 model, states on page 96 under paragraph CAUTION

Make sure that transported objects with sharp edges do not damage the following:

heating elements in the rear window;

elements of the aerial integrated in the rear window;

Aerial filaments integrated in the rear side windows (Superb Combi).

The aerial bits in the side windows look the same as the heating elements in the rear window. Maybe a connector from these side windows has been dislodged?

For what it's worth, I've never had any problem with reception on my Bolero.

Hope you sort it soon.

Thanks for he replies, mines has GPS as it has the satnav built into the headunit.

Bodyshop reckon they have damaged the rear window elements as stated by you folks.  So they are going to order a new one.

Fingers crossed it is that simple.  I’ll post back once they hopefully fix it ! 

Appreciate the replies 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update, the bodyshop have replaced the rear windscreen to no effect.  The issue still remains.  They said there is a DAB amplifier in the boot lid that may have been damaged and they are looking at replacing this possibly next but they said they are going to speak with the local Skoda dealership for guidance. 

I'll post back with anymore info they give me.  It may help someone diagnose a similar issue at some stage in the future.

• 4 years later...

Hi there, I'm having the same issue on my Octavia hatchback mk3. 

The car had no dab signal whatsoever before purchase and the Skoda garage put in a new transceiver. 

This was a good fix however only when winter came did i realise that I lose signal all together. 

Have you had any further luck with your issue, a resolve would be so good!!