LED number plate bulb issue

nia573

Ive had some issus with my led number plate bulbs

Fitted some error free canbus c5w bulbs a while back & theyve been ok up until last week (theyre the type with a heatsink at the back)
Noticed the rear left was off so emailed the ebay seller I got them from & they sent me out a new one (has a 3 year guarantee)

Replaced the left one & a couple of days later the right side was off, so replaced that with a spare led bulb I had. Worked fine for a few hours but noticed this morning that its gone off again
I briefly put in an old filament bulb I had as a spare & that lights up ok, so I dont think its a loose or dirty connection issue

Any ideas if its a case of having cheap leds or could it be a intermittent connection (possibly chaffed wiring into tailgate?)
Cars a 2010 tdi & doesnt have the bulb warning on the dash if it makes any difference)

Cheers. I havent had time to have a good look at it & didnt want to try stripping off the rear trim panel or the rear trunking from hatch to body to have a look at the wiring

Ill re-fit the standard bulbs this evening to see if theyre both ok

I may be wrong but I think the number plate bulbs are the same size as the interior light centre bulb, you could try it in there and that would confirm it :)

You might need the resistors from FIZZMO (ebay) had to do this in my VRS (even if you have heatsink LED version) Remember the no plate light is ALWAYS ON.

The internal Light is not on that much. Links below :

Resistors:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=301907694390&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X300682920786.TRS0&_nkw=300682920786&_sacat=0&clk_rvr_id=1347421526354&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Lighting for Reg Plate festoons:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=300682920786&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X290602060572.TRS0&_nkw=290602060572&_sacat=0

Thats great, thanks. Ill email fizzmo to see if they'll send me some resistors

Ive refitted the standard festoon filament bulbs this evening & theyre working fine, so hopefully the resistors combined with the leds will do the job

I got these from Amazon ,£6.99, and worked no problem. Fitted internal and as number plate lights on my 2011 Fabia elegance.

Sold by gs-autotech and Fulfilled by Amazon.
6 led smd 39mm Canbus error free 

On 10/27/2017 at 09:55, nia573 said:

Ive had some issus with my led number plate bulbs

Fitted some error free canbus c5w bulbs a while back & theyve been ok up until last week (theyre the type with a heatsink at the back)
Noticed the rear left was off so emailed the ebay seller I got them from & they sent me out a new one (has a 3 year guarantee)

Replaced the left one & a couple of days later the right side was off, so replaced that with a spare led bulb I had. Worked fine for a few hours but noticed this morning that its gone off again
I briefly put in an old filament bulb I had as a spare & that lights up ok, so I dont think its a loose or dirty connection issue

Any ideas if its a case of having cheap leds or could it be a intermittent connection (possibly chaffed wiring into tailgate?)
Cars a 2010 tdi & doesnt have the bulb warning on the dash if it makes any difference)

Cheap ones.

I bought 8 (number plate + interior) for £20 and they are all starting to go now.  It really shows you get what you pay for.