vRS Refresh at 120k

This is my second vRS and fortunately has the same options as my last one with parking sensors, cruise and sunroof.

MOT 2 weeks ago just had a couple of advisories, but I want to tighten her up all round rather than spend on a replacement car, or go the PCP route. However, don't want to spend a fortune on a car that might only do me another 10-20k...

After hours of reading on here, seems Whiteline RARB is the first step. I want to keep standard ride height and don't have the money for coilovers anyway, let alone FSDs.

What OE bits could do with replacing at 120k just to sharpen things up? Don't wanna spend more than a couple hundred quid if possible. I'm thinking mostly about suspension components. She already has a single mass conversion, so could maybe get a map next year...

Edited by okenobi

What Audi TT things specifically?

Where do I get poly bushes and which ones should I get?

Why a matching set of ARBs instead of the Whiteline which seems to be universally recommended when I searched...?

Thanks

Wouldn`t bother with rear ARB on the Octy.  Will just make your handling twitchy and unpredictable if you ever go into a slide or lose it at speed.  Just get a really good suspension kit. 

Edited by sammyhale30

Shocks and springs would be a good start. OE front shocks can be had from TPS for about £37 each, rears are available from the likes of TRW. Springs can be obtained aftermarket as well, I know the rears are RH6777, and weigh in about £60 a pair delivered if you look hard enough :) not sure on the front part number, as mine only needs rears at the moment (gone soft after 167k). As said, suspension bushes can be changed for poly units which will tighten things up without going to the trouble of swapping subframes etc.

Brakes would be the next to be looked at, maybe a new set of caliper sliders (relatively cheap to replace, and will combat any sticky caliper issues)

I have a RARB fitted to my octy, but it's not a VRS. Might be that most talk about fitting them to non-VRS models. 

It really improved the handling as far as I'm concerned, but I wouldn't set it on anything higher than the medium settings (it's an adjustable one).

May be better to take the advice of others in relation to it being a bad idea on the VRS!

3 hours ago, bspman said:

I have a RARB fitted to my octy, but it's not a VRS. Might be that most talk about fitting them to non-VRS models. 

It really improved the handling as far as I'm concerned, but I wouldn't set it on anything higher than the medium settings (it's an adjustable one).

May be better to take the advice of others in relation to it being a bad idea on the VRS!

I thought RARBs were all the rage on here a while ago. I actually have one in my shed but haven't fitted it yet.

However, I did replace the rear shocks and it made a big difference so I'm not sure it's worth me fitting the RARB now. I plan to replace the front shocks and then decide whether or not to fit the RARB.

@vrsTom if yours is a hatchback then I think you've got some kind of strut brace as well (unlike my normal octy). I'm sure this probably contributes a little to the stiffness and handling, or maybe the std vrs shocks and springs are just better :)

Too much stiffness is not a good thing, especially on normal public roads, it will make front wheel drive cars twitchy and unpredictable.  Rear anti roll bar is a waste of money if you are just using your Skoda on public roads.  The improvement in handling is all in your mind.  Nothing beats a good quality shocks and springs setup.

Edited by sammyhale30

• 3 months later...

I have a white line ARB and APEX coil overs combined with LCR top mounts and caster correction bushes. All with all it still feels a bit insecure above 120 mph... It is a bit nervous, but this is probably due to the bushes, but also dances a bit when changing directions. The 225/40 18” also make for a uncomfortable ride. I would almost say the Peugeot 207 of my wife is more securely planted.

I'm running the Audi TT front setup with cast wishbones and hubs along with the TT quick rack. Fitting that lot really made the car feel a lot more precise. I've also just replaced the original worn out shocks with Bilstein B4's which retain the standard height and comfort. I've also got an adjustable whiteline rarb which does make a big difference. The only way you'll lose the back end is by lifting off mid corner but that is normal for a fwd car even without a rarb. I've never lost the back end because I'm not a clown and know how to drive :D