Fabia 1.9 SDI Smokey on acceleration

Aleskoda

Hi Guys, 

Just bought a 2002 model SDI estate to run as my first car, somehow cheaper on insurance than the 1.4 hatch lol. Anyway coming onto a national speed limit my car gets a tad smokey mainly 4th gear when accelerating. Car has a comprehensive history, but has been stood for about 6-8 month so maybe it just needs a good service, any recommendations would be very handy as Im new to the skoda world. 

thanks.

Careful, don't get into any races with milk floats, they're surprisingly quick!

Seriously, don't bother thrashing it, it's a slug which is why it's cheap to insure, however it's also ferociously economical if driven sensibly.

The smart trick with diesels is to change gear early and let the torque do the work, there's nothing to be gained by revving it, it won't be any faster, it'll just smoke like a chimney and waste fuel needlessly.

The gearbox is a weak point with these so thrashing it is doubly silly since you'll just smash the synchro up trying to shift gears fast.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Careful, don't get into any races with milk floats, they're surprisingly quick!

Seriously, don't bother thrashing it, it's a slug which is why it's cheap to insure, however it's also ferociously economical if driven sensibly.

The smart trick with diesels is to change gear early and let the torque do the work, there's nothing to be gained by revving it, it won't be any faster, it'll just smoke like a chimney and waste fuel needlessly.

The gearbox is a weak point with these so thrashing it is doubly silly since you'll just smash the synchro up trying to shift gears fast.

Point taken, I don’t thrash it too hard just notice it every now and again accelerating. Could it be possible it might need a service/ looking at since it’s stood for 6 month. In for new disks and pads tomorrow as procaution 

22 minutes ago, Aleskoda said:

Point taken, I don’t thrash it too hard just notice it every now and again accelerating. Could it be possible it might need a service/ looking at since it’s stood for 6 month. In for new disks and pads tomorrow as procaution 

Nope, I wouldn't worry about it, just check the oil level every month then service it at the recommended intervals, the engines are generally very reliable.

Getting the brakes done after being stood so long is very sensible.

@Aleskoda - I was serious about different colours of smoke meaning different things. So again presuming you get a puff on a flat shift:-

1) Blue or white smoke. Oil, probably caused by ring flutter, and the only way to cure this is to lift your right foot a bit when shifting. There's a vague chance this might be a sign of the start of bore wear or worn valve stem seals though, so keep an eye out in case it gets worse.

2) Black smoke. Over-fuelling when the revs are dropping back as you let the clutch back in in the new gear. Same way to avoid it, but there's definitely nothing wrong with the car if it does this.

3 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@Aleskoda - I was serious about different colours of smoke meaning different things. So again presuming you get a puff on a flat shift:-

1) Blue or white smoke. Oil, probably caused by ring flutter, and the only way to cure this is to lift your right foot a bit when shifting. There's a vague chance this might be a sign of the start of bore wear or worn valve stem seals though, so keep an eye out in case it gets worse.

2) Black smoke. Over-fuelling when the revs are dropping back as you let the clutch back in in the new gear. Same way to avoid it, but there's definitely nothing wrong with the car if it does this.

Yea it’s rare, probs say it is a back  but a few people have said it could be to do with it being stood for some time. Might price up a service at the local garage, or maybe attempt myself at some point in the near future. Any tips for a service thanks ken 

I am quite surprised you can generate any black smoke because typically the need to meet emission level means the fueling is very low compared to diesels of old.

All of the above posts @KenONeill and @clarendon462have the things you need to check. If you can indicate your mileage then that would be helpful.

In terms of driving style it is pretty simple, there is no point in reving the engine past 3,150 rpm after this you are just making more noise and as @sepulchrave says putting needless wear on the gearbox.

My general rule is to change up at 2100-2700 rpm depending on how fast i need to go and how big the load is on the engine, i.e. if you are trying to go up a big hill you will need to rev out to the higher rpm.

If you are sympathetic and you know how to judge when the engine is starting to labor then is is possible to drive at 30mph in 5th. On the motorway you can cruise comfortably at the legal limit and still get 62+mpg.

To make progress you need to think well ahead so if you are a new driver consider joining and Advanced driver group or at least get yourself a copy of roadcraft or subscribe on line.

Edited by garethw

17 minutes ago, Aleskoda said:

Where do you rekon does the best deals for the bits? Just Euro Car Parts / Halfords? 

Thanks

Eurocarparts or German and Swedish are where I get most of my parts.

Where are you located.

20 minutes ago, garethw said:

Eurocarparts or German and Swedish are where I get most of my parts.

Where are you located.

North east, Tyne and Wear. I know there is a EuroCarParts near by but just thinking if there is anywhere else 

its a non dpf diesel so it will generate some smoke but nothing to worry about unless its white

as for driving style, well it does it good to give it a hard run to the red line once every now and again to clear all the carbon/soot build up. That may well be a good thing to try a few times at the moment if you are saying its been sat for a while

I would just service it- get the parts from euro car parts or GSF and then enjoy driving it. 

Thanks All, as for @garethw the milage is 89500 not too bad for its age. Brake disks and pads on monday / tuesday then i think a good service, I have ordered a haynes manual but for the sdi does it require any different oil a friend who is a vrs owner said it is probs different to his oil. 

cheers,