VCDS cable.

12 hours ago, langers2k said:

Definitely a clone as the listing says "This cable will work with Software version 17.8.0 which covers cars from 1995-2017 and which easily work with most 2018 cars too comes with cable. YOU CANNOT USE ANY OTHER VERSION."...

For a MY14 car, the one posted should work right?

Which is better? OBDeleven or this? it's priced similarly.

HEX-CAN won't work with MQB platform such as Octavia 3, what about HEX+CAN?

Edited by wyx087

@wyx087 - it's impossible to say. That software version should be fine with a MY14 but who knows what has been done to make it work with cloned hardware. Is it worth damaging a car worth £1000's to save £150 as a 3 vin HEX-V2 is approximately £225 at the moment?

A genuine HEX-USB+CAN should also be fine on a MY14. It's only the very latest MY17/MY18 cars they have issues with, even then they will still work but don't have access to all modules/functions.

You might also find a local member would probably do a scan and even some adaptions for free or a few beer tokens. If there isn't anyone closer, I'm probably an hour or so from North London during the week as I work in Cambridge :)

I've never used OBDeleven, I think its a useful tool in it's own right but it's not a direct replacement for VCDS.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, langers2k said:

@wyx087 - it's impossible to say. That software version should be fine with a MY14 but who knows what has been done to make it work with cloned hardware. Is it worth damaging a car worth £1000's to save £150 as a 3 vin HEX-V2 is approximately £225 at the moment?

A genuine HEX-USB+CAN should also be fine on a MY14. It's only the very latest MY17/MY18 cars they have issues with, even then they will still work but don't have access to all modules/functions.

You might also find a local member would probably do a scan and even some adaptions for free or a few beer tokens. If there isn't anyone closer, I'm probably an hour or so from North London during the week as I work in Cambridge :)

I've never used OBDeleven, I think its a useful tool in it's own right but it's not a direct replacement for VCDS.

Thanks for your detailed explanation and generous offer. I have already had a few adoptions done by very nice a local Briskoda-r for a bottle of wine, but I would prefer to do changes in my own time, possibly google each and every configurable bits for my amusement, when I feel bored :D 

£225 is a lot of money to do a few optional changes on a single car. This Octavia will probably be my only VAG car, so I don't feel comfortable forking out hundreds.

So need to search for HEX+CAN (not -CAN), HEX-V2 or HEX-NET adaptors. I'll take the risk, as I highly doubt any problems will damage my car: electrical problems should only damage the port and/or buffer chips; protocol problems during coding should just through up errors.

1 hour ago, wyx087 said:

For a MY14 car, the one posted should work right?

Which is better? OBDeleven or this? it's priced similarly.

HEX-CAN won't work with MQB platform such as Octavia 3, what about HEX+CAN?

I would go for OBDEleven rather than a knock off cable and cracked software.

At least with OBDEleven you will continue to receive updates and support etc. As others have mentioned it's not better than VCDS or a replacement for it, however it is handy and reasonably well priced if you simply want to do a few tweaks and grab fault codes.

I've had it for a year and it's been good and continues to get better with further updates. I've done all the tweaks and coding I've wanted to do for LED retrofits, footwell lighting, traffic sign recognition etc.

The other alternative of course would be to contact another member on here with a genuine VCDS who will do the tweaks for you for a small amount of beer tokens.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, wyx087 said:

Thanks for your detailed explanation and generous offer. I have already had a few adoptions done by very nice a local Briskoda-r for a bottle of wine, but I would prefer to do changes in my own time, possibly google each and every configurable bits for my amusement, when I feel bored :D 

£225 is a lot of money to do a few optional changes on a single car. This Octavia will probably be my only VAG car, so I don't feel comfortable forking out hundreds.

So need to search for HEX+CAN (not -CAN), HEX-V2 or HEX-NET adaptors. I'll take the risk, as I highly doubt any problems will damage my car: electrical problems should only damage the port and/or buffer chips; protocol problems during coding should just through up errors.

they dont lose value, you could probably make money on it when your finished if you can get it cheaply to begin with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wyx087 said:

I've had a genuine Ross-Tech cable since 2004 (upgraded to a HEX-NET while it was still in beta) and it's saved me many times its cost in both saved "diagnostic fees" and (on my previous car) putting the headlights into "tourist mode" every time we went to France on holiday.

Don't look at it just as a cable to tweak settings with, but as a diagnostic tool that can save you visits to and costs from a dealer.

Edited by SWBoy
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Yovel said:

Do you know which cable I need for VCDS for 2017 skoda superb and where I can order one?

Either a HEX-V2 or a HEX-NET, the older cables will not be able to communicate with all the modules on newer cars.

The list of Ross-Tech distributors can be found here Ross-Tech distributors

Just now, SWBoy said:

Either a HEX-V2 or a HEX-NET, the older cables will not be able to communicate with all the modules on newer cars.

The list of Ross-Tech distributors can be found here Ross-Tech distributors

Thank you.

Do you know if TSR can be enabled using the VCDS any way or only if the local dealer ordered it as a spec in the car?

13 minutes ago, Yovel said:

Do you know if TSR can be enabled using the VCDS any way or only if the local dealer ordered it as a spec in the car?

It depends on what spec you already have - TSR needs the "high spec" front camera (fitted with Lane Assist) AFAIK.

T

Just now, SWBoy said:

It depends on what spec you already have - TSR needs the "high spec" front camera (fitted with Lane Assist) AFAIK.

Thank you. I know I ordered tha car specced with Lane Assist, but the dealer does not mention the TSR option so I guess it is not installed, question if VCDS can enable it.

• 5 months later...

So if I ever find the charger for my laptop I should be able to use my genuine (Gendan supplied) HEX + CAN interface on my 2016 Octavia but there may be some modules it cant communicate with?

Really just looking to do a fault code scan, particularly looking at stop/start, battery monitoring module and battery.

On 23/06/2018 at 20:06, Octy0GG said:

So if I ever find the charger for my laptop I should be able to use my genuine (Gendan supplied) HEX + CAN interface on my 2016 Octavia but there may be some modules it cant communicate with?

Really just looking to do a fault code scan, particularly looking at stop/start, battery monitoring module and battery.

assuming your running VCDS you should have full functionality, i think the cable change is for 2017? possibly the FL model? i dont know as mine is MY2014. There's a lot of scaremongery about using the cable but if you make sure to run a scan and backup your current file each time BEFORE you make a change you can easily roll back if you can't fix an issue after changing, you can print this backup out if needed as well. I've Enabled everything possible fro the forum on here inclduing TSR and high beam assist, my cable and software was £70ish all in and Ive also used the cable to install footwell lights/towbar electrics/ reversing camera. Most garages will charge you £25 just for a diagnostic or to clear any DTCs (fault codes).  If you are not confident or competent by all means go to a dealer.

• Like 1