1.6 tdi - dpf deleted and egr - overheating?

on my 1.6 tdi it had a problem where it would overheat when doing a regen when i got it about 6 months ago.

water pump replaced but no different. i thought the dpf was becoming blocked so i got it gutted out and deleted from ecu along with egr (also blanked the egr off)

The car is now overheating when driving up hills/mountains/inclines

no loss of water or oil etc. economy has dropped slightly

Any ideas please help!!!!

The fans used to run on it most of the time before it was remapped, i.e would be running if i drove 5 mile in it

Whenever it overheated the last time im nearly 100% sure both fans were on because i could here them from inside the car

I know the one for the ac works as it comes on when the ac is switched on

Thanks

My next port of call would be the water pump but you have already changed that. The fans on my similar but 105 hp model (no remap) rarely come on, So that just leaves something that is restricting water flow.

Look for a tired water hose that may have partially collapsed inside by squashing each of them with your hand to find one that feels different. 

Next step is the thermostat. Usually fail open but could have been installed wrongly if it has been replaced at any time.  

How many miles has the car done?

Could the radiator be blocked/corroded after having the wrong coolant at some time?

Yea I used to have a 1.6 tdi for 2 years and never heard the fans on it

I have ordered a new thermostat and i'm going to get it replaced next week - Is there 2 different types of these?

Car has done 102k miles

When I got it I noticed there looked to be plain water in the coolant tank, or else a very weak mixture of coolant! However it was completely clean and still is

Thanks for the help!

Edited by dmcc97

While the thermostat is being changed, get them to flush the cooling system. It is important to have the right coolant at the correct strength, summer and winter, to avoid corrosion caused by dissimilar metals.

Latest coolant is G13. Let us know how much crud comes out in the flush.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheshire_cat said:

do they have the plastic (loose) impeller syndrome----------don't know --just wonder in'  

i think the one that replaced the original had metal impellers on it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

well thermostat was replaced and coolant flushed but still no different!!!

Doing the same thing, 100% whenever driving steady at 60 but once driving on inclines and revving it a bit more it overheats :( - No beep on dash though ?

Your DPF may be deleted from the ECU but has the car been told not to attempt any regenerations now that you dont have the DPF? 

You say that it overheats when going up inclines and revving.  This sounds like the conditions which cause enough heat to do a passive regeneration during normal driving.  If there is no soot to burn off as the DPF is now gutted, it may be trying to burn off whats not there.

Id research who done the DPF delete work and telling the ECU its not there.  They may not have altered the mapping to ignore the regeneration processes.  There are passive regenerations when conditions allow (engine under load/revs/incline driving etc.) There are also active attempts at regeneration based on miles covered (approx 466), distance (900 odd minutes), and the recorded soot level.

If you have no soot level anymore in the DPF, it may still attempt active regens on miles and distance, as well as attempting passive regens.