Octavia fsi estate

hosks

I have been on here foer a few years and appreciate the advice, I have a 2000 octavia 2litre which is starting to get costly so have looked at a 1600cc  fsi estate on an 07 plate. (need extra room and not necessarily power). local independant garage has one at £1695. It is in good looking condition but havent driven it yet, 

Is the price ok and is there anything I should look out for , e,g, timing belt change

Thanks

Edited by hosks

You don't mention mileage or trim specification but assuming average mileage that doesn't sound too bad. The FSI engines have timing chains which aren't supposed to need changing. Mine's been reliable to date, certainly no engine related issues.

3 hours ago, StuartA said:

You don't mention mileage or trim specification but assuming average mileage that doesn't sound too bad. The FSI engines have timing chains which aren't supposed to need changing. Mine's been reliable to date, certainly no engine related issues.

The FSI uses a belt and chain setup. 

Thats good ,however when I went to see it, it has one rusty door and sill, pretty bad too.seats had holes in. I know the car is 10 years old but my 17 year old one looks better. Salesman reckons after 2004 all vw bodywork went downhill ( I think it has had a crash and been bodged). Lots of diesels around at a good price but I dont know what to look out for such as cam belts and diesel particulate filters, Thanks for the help will keep looking, chain a plus

The year you are looking at, I don't think Diesels would be runnning a DPF. Camblelt / water pump replacement - yes - check history and service records. If the car's not right, good move to move on. The 1.6FSI is pretty underpowered ,but as I understand it, is a mainstay in the Golf model history and fairly reliable, wouldn't be my first choice though.

Thanks for the reply. I can get 2005 1.9 diesels  with full service histories for about 1900 quid but that sounds dear to me,

The local small independant garage who have done the last bits of work on ours ( and I trust them) might have a trade in this weekfor 1500 pound (2005) that is supposedly in vcg and serviced there for the last 2 years . The only downside is, we are lucky to do 4000 miles a year, so do I need to woory about a diesel or stick with a petrol which I would know nothing about the history.

Thanks

16 hours ago, hosks said:

Thanks for the reply. I can get 2005 1.9 diesels  with full service histories for about 1900 quid but that sounds dear to me,

The local small independant garage who have done the last bits of work on ours ( and I trust them) might have a trade in this weekfor 1500 pound (2005) that is supposedly in vcg and serviced there for the last 2 years . The only downside is, we are lucky to do 4000 miles a year, so do I need to woory about a diesel or stick with a petrol which I would know nothing about the history.

Thanks

I'm not an expert on Tdis nor the 1.9tdi, more petrol man myself. That said, we did own a 53 reg polo 1.9tdi which I imagine is a very similar engine to what is in the mk2 Octavia.

I'm almost certain none of the 1.9Tdi ran a DPF and even more certain not in 2005.

Because of their popularity, they probably do command a premium, one of the bigger downsides is they come with a 5Sp transmission AFAIR. If you can live with that and find a good one I imagine they will serve you well.  They should be a flexible engine to drive with good spread of torque.   Check big maintenance items like cambelt / waterpump.

There are others on here who will have more experience on this engine first hand than me.  Suggest you maybe start a new thread with 1.9Tdi model feedback in title, as this thread started life on the 1.6FSI and may not be attracting those in the know.

[Edit: maybe also try searching the forums a bit, someone will have asked questions before....]

Hope that is some help.

Edited by TheClient

I sold my elegance estate lately for £2200. 07 with 124k miles, good condition with a small dot of rust that I treated on a door and boot lid. 

Interior immaculate, decent tyres all round. I am sure you will find a decent enough one in your bracket 

thanks to everyone, looking at one on satuday on a 57 plate, photos look immaculate, mileage a bit high at 162k but reciepts for work including cambelt and water pump about 20k ago. he is wanting 1950 private.