New owner here

Mikeyd1

12 hours ago, Mikeyd1 said:

Nice lol. Im looking foward to it to be honist, i will be  trading in my mk7 golf 1.4 tsi sad to see it go and it's a 3door so u can Imagine with 3 kids.

Look for a reputable tuning company to remap the engine as if your anything like me the downgrade in power will be frustrating at times,pulling away from junctions and overtaking it’s particularly noticeable.

other than that it’s a great car and we do really like ours.

• Like 1

I've had mine for a couple of months.

The only main things to watch out for are the take up with the stop/start and dsg.

Stop/start at junctions means a slight delay when the engine starts as you release the brake pedal and the dsg selects gear before you can move, so time pullouts appropriately.

From a stop, when taking foot off brake, let the dsg take up the slack before accelerating or you get a bit of a lurch.

Usual dsg caveat that if you lift off coming up to a roundabout, then accelerate to get into  a gap, then the dsg is going to change gear and leave you without power for a second as it does so.

Not many cupholders. That's my real gripe. Should have lots of fold out ones.

• Like 1

I'll keep that in mind. All hints and tips with the dsg gearbox are welcoming as I've been driving a manual for 20 years. Hopefully I can get the stop/start deactivated like I did on my golf with obdeleven.

You can manually deactivate stop/start on every journey with the pushbutton down on the console.

tbh you have to understand how dsg works in preselecting gears so you know when it could catch you out.

Really decent car though overall.

The 1.2 has enough power for everyday use.

The only comment Ive had from passengers is going up a really steep hill where the dsg changes down but keeps high revs and sounds rough

• Like 1

Hi Mike, welcome to Briskoda and to Yeti ownership.

I drove manuals for more than forty years before I bought my first DSG, a Roomster. 

I liked DSG so much that I specified it for my Yeti, and I would not want to go back to manual.

You'll love it :thumbup:

Regarding stop/start - pressing the over-ride button has become as much part of my launch procedure as pulling out the choke used to be!

Enjoy your new Yeti.

• Like 1

First upgrade might be winter tyres and steel wheels rather than a remap. depending what your roads are like?

Looking at my 17" tyres, Goodyear EfficientGrip iirc,, the ratings for winter driving are rubbish so picked up some second hand steeliess off fleabay and got some budget branded winter tyres, though tyres like CrossClimates style are a good compromise.

Edited by cootuk
  • Like 1

If you slightly release it the brake the engine restarts and doesn’t stop again allowing a smoother and quicker take off.

I tend to turn stop/ start on and off during the journey as required. Not exactly hard to press the button if approaching a situation where you are going to stop but want the engine to continue running.

Be prepared to go into manual mode in very slow traffic. Car has a habit of changing to second, but won’t go back to first unless you stop completely. I will hold it in first, or even force a change down so it pulls away easily in first rather than slipping clutch more to effectively start off in second.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

If you slightly release it the brake the engine restarts and doesn’t stop again allowing a smoother and quicker take off.

I tend to turn stop/ start on and off during the journey as required. Not exactly hard to press the button if approaching a situation where you are going to stop but want the engine to continue running.

Be prepared to go into manual mode in very slow traffic. Car has a habit of changing to second, but won’t go back to first unless you stop completely. I will hold it in first, or even force a change down so it pulls away easily in first rather than slipping clutch more to effectively start off in second.

Good to know. I'm getting a bit nervous now lol

Don't worry DSG works beautifully, at junctions you will soon learn to feather the footbrake so that the stop/start doesn't cut the engine. Or just turn it off when you start up; I couldn't see any difference in petrol consumption with or without start/stop activated (over 1,000 miles) so generally turn it off

Never used manual in traffic, that's when automatics and DSG's come into their own surely? - no fiddling with gears or clutches. 

Just enjoy your Yeti & DSG, you'll love it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Expatman said:

Don't worry DSG works beautifully, at junctions you will soon learn to feather the footbrake so that the stop/start doesn't cut the engine. Or just turn it off when you start up; I couldn't see any difference in petrol consumption with or without start/stop activated (over 1,000 miles) so generally turn it off

Never used manual in traffic, that's when automatics and DSG's come into their own surely? - no fiddling with gears or clutches. 

Thankyou u have put my mind at ease. I can't believe they didn't ring me today to pick it up,it only needed a service. 

2 hours ago, Expatman said:

Just seems wrong to me when car is slipping the clutch trying to speed up virtually from stationary in 2nd gear.

Also in very slow traffic it will trickle along in first with no clutch slip and hence wear, whereas in drive it always changes to 2nd and is slipping the clutch at slow speeds.

The one thing you should avoid with the dsg gearbox, particularly the dry clutch version, is creeping with the clutches slipping for anything more than a short distance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikeyd1 said:

So will I have the dry version then? And so put it in N at red lights? Thanks

The 1.2 is a dry clutch system and can be damaged by misuse. Used properly it will have a very good life. There have been issues in america where dtivers used to torque converter gearboxes drove dsg cars in the same maner using handbrake at rest, creeping in traffc etc causing premature clutch pack wear.

Dont use neutral as when brake fully applied the clutch is disengaged completely.

Just remember not to use the handbrake. I have seen people with the car in drive, handbrake applied and foot off brake. This means the clutch is slipping and wearing unneccesarily.

• Like 1

I have had three Skoda's with the 7 speed 'dry' DSG box and they have all worked well. Yes, there are a few simple points that are well documented, like not using the handbrake with the DSG engaged, fully depressing the footbrake (disengages clutches completely) unless you are preparing/ready to pull off, But in normal day to day driving as long as you are sensible then you are not going to harm the box and I would include momentarily letting the clutch slip while you enter a stream of traffic or roundabout - just as you would let a manual clutch slip in the same circumstances.

Honestly follow the guidelines in the manual and just enjoy driving driving the car and let the DSG box look after itself. As to not using the DSG in traffic, well what is an automatic for but to ease driving in traffic and, yes, it will pull away in 2nd from anything but a dead stop but isn't that what we did in manual cars? If the DSG needs to change down to 1st to pull away from a dead stop in traffic or on an incline it WILL change down itself, it doesn't need the driver to overthink the programming.

• Like 2