Satnav - absolutely useless...

TBH if a Satnav system doesn’t perform st least as well as the Tomtom, which isn’t ideal by any means, I’m not really interested. 

Tomtom takes me straight to defining destinations by postcode, which is best way of identifying urban destinations. It provides a quick, simple way of entering my observed location, which is the easiest way of recording out-of-the-way destinations, which I regularly need to do. It has never yet got confused at a major junction, or in town, which is the main thing I use it for. It has never yet failed to identify a destination within the limits of available information (I use that term because I do sometimes get addresses which are a bit generic, such as construction sites defined by postcodes which aren’t properly correct)

Amundsen appears to consistently fail at least one of the above. It doesn’t have the speed camera warnings, which I find useful. Updating the maps is a matter of plugging the unit into a laptop, two clicks and forgetting about it. 

Amundsen appears to me, to lack development and provided with insufficient processing power, probably because it is compromised by working the radio and every other doo-dad. I can only rate it, on the basis of experience to date, 6/10 Must Try Harder

11 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I always use android auto on my phone and then connect to the cars screen, you then have the option to use google maps or Waze. Personally I always use Waze as it has better features than google maps and has never let me down, best of all both the android auto and Waze apps are completely free ;);)

I didn't bother with the Sat Nav option on our new 1.0 SE as I'm more than happy with Google Maps (looking forward to being able to run it on the main screen via Android Auto). I've tried Waze in the past, but since most of the time I know where I'm going & just use it for traffic alerts I like to have Google Maps totally zoomed out - is there the option to do this in Waze, as I've not discovered it so far

16 minutes ago, Janno1 said:

Can sat nav from your phone be put through the system and have it playing on the screen?

Yes as long as you have smartlink enabled. If you don't you can buy the activation code from skoda.

12 hours ago, Janno1 said:

I've ordered the 245 and I think that has it. Shall use the link and Google maps. Cheers bud

The 245 has Smartlink, which supports both Android Auto and Apply Carplay. Connect your phone and you can display Google or Apply Maps via the infotainment, with full audio navigation.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello to everyone,

I've got two questions relating this topic as I am about to activate the Smartlink feature on my 17 reg Octavia Hatch (Amundsen Sat Nav):

1 - can this be done remotely or do I need to go the the dealer so they would connect the SDD equipment to be able to enable this? - I have to mention that I was unable to find any option that would allow me inserting a key code or anything similar and:

2 - is anyone able to tell if when using the Google Maps through Android Auto while connected via Smartlink do you still get the navigation direction indications on the Instrument Panel Cluster like when using Amundsen or this is available on the main screen only?

Thanks for the feedback 

Thanks jagdad.

Mine is not facelift and there's the message when I try to access Smartlink advising that a key is needed...

I was afraid it might be on the main screen only, but still it should be better.

Columbus SatNav interface looks okay, but entering addresses can be quite inaccurate, and the directions can lead you up some strange roads. Going straight on a main road is so much faster and yet it would ask you to turn into a small suburban road. When I ignore the direction it sorts itself out but then I would have to know where I'm going before it corrects its navigation!