A bit childish, but........

pinkpanther

Had a play with the Torque (pro) app this evening. We have a newly opened (and essentially deserted) road nearby and I thought I'd give the 0-60 / 0-62 and BHP section of the Torque app a go.

The best of 3 0-60 attempts came up at 8.2 seconds (8.5 seconds to 100km/h) and the app calculated a max power figure of 177 BHP. The BHP figure compares with what the remap was claiming (Shark stage 1) and the 0-60 figure represents a decent improvement over stock (9.6 seconds).

All a bit meaningless really, but good fun nonetheless and the app calculations do at least appear to be reasonably accurate.

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi, thanks for telling me about Torque Pro. Just put it on my phone, and will see how it goes tomorrow. Yeh I think it is fun. I have had my Yeti remapped from 170 BHP to 205 BHP by Shark Performance. Very happy with it. Will be interesting to see what results I get.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing to watch - if the OBDII Bluetooth unit is left plugged in permanently it might cause problems.  I haven't tried mine on the Yeti but on my Mercedes SLC it has run the car's battery down within three days, causing error messages and preventing some systems from operating (stop/start included) until the battery was fully recharged and everything shut down for a while.  This has only happened on one occasion - before that the car had been fine with the unit plugged in permanently, even when not used for 10 days, although it's normally parked out of Bluetooth range..

The problems happened when I was away from home and I believe it was because the car was parked much closer than normal to where I was working and sleeping - and because the car was still within Bluetooth range of my phone the plug-in OBDII unit stayed live and kept the car's computer systems live as well.  I've heard of this happening on BMW cars as well, where the OBDII unit has prevented the car's computers from dropping into sleep mode.

I unplug it now when I don't need it, which is a shame as the Torque Pro app is quite good (despite the lack of a manual!).

Edited by Gnomeface
clarification
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gnomeface said:

One thing to watch - if the OBDII Bluetooth unit is left plugged in permanently it might cause problems.  I haven't tried mine on the Yeti but on my Mercedes SLC it has run the car's battery down within three days, causing error messages and preventing some systems from operating (stop/start included) until the battery was fully recharged and everything shut down for a while.  This has only happened on one occasion - before that the car had been fine with the unit plugged in permanently, even when not used for 10 days, although it's normally parked out of Bluetooth range..

The problems happened when I was away from home and I believe it was because the car was parked much closer than normal to where I was working and sleeping - and because the car was still within Bluetooth range of my phone the plug-in OBDII unit stayed live and kept the car's computer systems live as well.  I've heard of this happening on BMW cars as well, where the OBDII unit has prevented the car's computers from dropping into sleep mode.

I unplug it now when I don't need it, which is a shame as the Torque Pro app is quite good (despite the lack of a manual!).

Thanks for the warning, although my Yeti has had a OBDII Bluetooth dongle plugged in permanently for more than a year, with no I'll effects (yet!).

The car is probably in range of a variety of my Bluetooth enabled devices overnight, but no issues over the last year.

It seems that there is a permanent live on one of the OBD-II pins (pin 16) but it depends on what your adaptor does with this.  The car's ECU will be off when unpowered so the adaptor may simply go to sleep until the ECU wakes up and can be interrogated.

vJB6W.png

11 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

I've tried searching for the Bluetooth dongle when the car is off (and locked) and it doesn't appear to be"discoverable" so I'm assuming it's powered down?

Same here: on my Yeti, the ODBII dongle powers off when you turn the engine off and take out the key.  It's not active unless the ignition is on.

Maybe Gnomeface's Merc keeps the ODBII dongle powered on regardless of the ignition state (did someone say "simply dumb"?) - or maybe it was simply a coincidence, and the Merc's battery was on the way out anyway.

It should be fairly simple to check whether the phone is auto-connecting to the dongle by looking at the bluetooth settings to see what's connected.  I know for a fact that my phone doesn't auto-connect to the dongle just because it's powered on.  I'm pretty sure that the bluetooth profile used by the dongle isn't a standard bluetooth profile like the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), Hands-Free Profile (HFP) or Headset Profile (HSP) that the phone's OS knows what to do with.  You have to start TorquePro to get the phone to connect to the dongle, and as soon as you exit TorquePro by tapping the 'back' button on the app's main window (it prompts you confirm that you want to exit) the phone disconnects from the ODBII.  I reckon that, even if the vehicle kept the ODBII dongle on power when the ignition was off, you'd need to leave an ODBII app running on the phone as well for it to connect to the dongle.

I'm convinced that there's zero risk that leaving the ODBII dongle plugged in to my car will flatten its battery.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Thanks 1