What will I miss?

I currently drive a 55 plate VRS TFSI manual hatch, remapped by shark to 250bhp, currently sitting on 145k miles and in excellent condition.  Been looking at a 2010 FL 1.8tsi DSG L&K estate for sale with around 50k miles on it.

I started looking at the 1.8 engine as it supposedly has better fuel economy than I currently get.  I do around 20k miles a year and could do with looking for something a little more economical than the car I have now.  I would also like the new car to be an automatic estate with heated seats, as I find heating my back on long journeys can help relieve a bit of lower back pain.

I guess what I'm asking is what would you do?  Anyone had experience of both and like to share pros/cons of owning either (engines or trim level)?  I tried the seats out in a diesel L&K and found them comfortable but more sit on top than the VRS, which I may or may not miss.  My VRS has xenons, bolero, cruise, bluetooth and maxidot so I'm not sure I'm gaining much spec wise.  Unfortunately the car is to far away to go and try without the intention of purchasing.  I looked at diesels but for my budget I'd be looking at >100k miles again.

Need extreme caution with the 1.8 Tsi EA888 series due to the tensioner and clogged piston ring problem. 2010 will have old piston ring design and old tensioner [UNLESS engine replaced out already] It makes for a dangerous private purchase if there is no warranty or dealer come back.

Need to ask some more questions about history but the oil usage is very difficult to pick up on inspection.  Even severe users do not belch smoke out the back and leave a smoke trail...

There are regular postings on here on people who purchase used and 2 months later realise it is a severe user of oil. Do a search and review the engine failure threads. In theory the 2.0 TSI in the FL vRS is also shares all the same problems but there seems to be a lot less posts for the oil use problem in them for some reason. Probably production numbers.

The L&K spec is very good but not sure you will gain a lot. Maybe heated seats not 100% myself. I'd be more concerned with the engine history!

Edited by TheClient

The L&K usually has electric drivers seat, so may be more adjustable, however it does not have the big side bolsters to stop you sliding in a corner.  However the L&K is aimed more at luxury than sportiness so comfort is ahead.   It will certainly be comfortable for passengers, not quite armchair vs padded bench, but more in keeping with a comfortable grand cruiser.   Not sure what wheels you have, but the L&K might be a size down, which means more rubber, so better ride on inferior tarmac.

I have had two L&K Octavia estates (a mk 1 with the 1.8 20v engine, and a mk 2 with the 2.0 FSI, both were autos),  both great cars,  although both could drink fuel heavily if you planted your right foot.   Only got rid of the second one because the Government jumped the car tax few years ago (it was 201 CO2 so high group)

Spec has obviously changed over the years, both had full leather (one pale sand colour, one cream), both had sunroofs, CD mutichangers, matching alloy spare wheels, cruise control,  etc.  but some of this has now been been superceded or dropped.     Never owned a vRS so cant comment.    From about 2009-2010 the L&K Octavia became rare as Skoda seemed to push the Superb (the price difference wasn't much if you added options to the Octavia, as some were included in Superb as standard).    In everyday driving probably wont notice the lower power, there is always the S mode on the auto, if you want more zing, but I never used it, as didn't like the way it would sit in a lower gear when you reached a speed and stopped accelerating, just seemed to stop it using 6th to save fuel when cruising.

A 2010 engine might be a problem, some of the early TSi engines had a few quirks, and if maintenance was skimped might prove troublesome,  Not heard any problems with newer engines (but might be too early).   If money has already been spent and the weaker parts replaced possibly ok, but bit of a guess without knowing the service history.   Remember you are looking at a 7 year car, and the top spec ones have a lot of electric / moving parts, so more to breakdown, and some parts are expensive.

Edited by SurreyJohn

The engine is a nice drive and it is possible to probably find a good one but you would probably need to have proof of the engine replacement to feel comfortable.

Quite a few have had that or the piston / ring / conrod swap out.  Dealer consumer protection or a warranty may give you "some" comeback. Private is very risky though due to the nature of the faults not being particularly visible and only apparent after 500+ or 1000 miles....   and oil gone....

I wouldn't like to pick the "most reliable" vehicle for you. It is a lottery in some respects.  It is something you probably have to decide on the evidence and taking your requirements and driving  pattern into account.   You will have to research and make your choices.

Petrols and Diesels over the mk2 FL have had their own weaknesses in different engine releases, Euro 5 Diesel and the fix, DPFs, EGRs, Injectors maybe, or was that the Euro 4 diesels....  Petrols with ring design problems, timing chains and tensioners,  It is all about the specific power plant you are looking at, different issues in the earlier Mk2s which arguably maybe considered more reliable but now getting older.... Forewarned is forearmed.

It is probably easier to find a vehicle and engine combination and ask for feedback on significant issues / weaknesses. Or otherwise research the few combinations you are interested in. The search function on here can return some meaningful posts.

Edited by TheClient

On 11/21/2017 at 16:17, surfingobo said:

Interesting to hear about the problems with the 1.8 tsi, I had read lots of good things previously, but have now found some of the bad threads!  Back to the drawing board I guess.

I wouldn't rule the 1.8 tsi out, yes it does have problems, swapped mine onto to fixed service routine and 5w40 fully synthetic oil, it alot better then when first got the car, but i do a have a full warranty with the car and will get another full skoda warranty next year, my friendly dealer will even add the service i will do to it's service record (the know i'm an MOT tester by trade and service it myself, using parts bought from them)

My car runs 17 inch alloys as standard, the only things above the VRs spec is the electric drivers seat, and heated front seats, and xenon's as standard (think on the VRs they were an option.)

The power is good (only 160bhp) but the tourqe isn't the great, although my previous Octy was a 2.0 pd tdi, so have noticed the difference; (does not have the "punch")

Handling is good, better the the diesel as less weight in the front, The ride is still firm but not to the extent of the VRS, so you can still hustle the car through a good twisty A road with confidance.

MPG wise is o.k normally 28-30mpg around town with high 30's to low 40's on a run.