Intake air system leak

Guys.

Got my car serviced yesterday. Air filter and plugs changed. Engine management light has popped on. Using my obd dongle the fault code is intake air system leak. What's causing this. Can I fix it myself. I'm guessing someone has forgot to connect something after the service. Cheers

Couldn't find any loose hoses under the intake. But took the engine cover off and there was a cable not plugged in. I've connected it cleared the fault code and hasn't came back on.so should be fixed.... 

its too dark to be taking pictures but if you look directly over the spark plugs you'll see a block with a torx screw that holds it down, one goes to the bottom left side of the engine, one goes to the right into the air intake just after your airbox and there's another that goes forward but under the air intake, it's usually that that doesn't seal proper. Stick your ear to it you should hear a hissing.

There is the 'O' ring on the Turbo pipe that often is not sealed. The small pipe near the 2nd cylinder from the left looking at the engine, 

and various errors that are common with techs changing Spark Plugs on a Twincharger, especially Main Dealership ones.

Several threads now over the past 7 years.

2 hours ago, Nandovee said:

Air filter and plugs changed. Engine management light has popped on. Using my obd dongle the fault code is intake air system leak.

Same thing happened to me a year ago following a service with changed plugs.

I got Skoda Assist out to sort the problem.

A pipe at the rear of the engine was not properly reconnected.

The Skoda Assist guy said it happens all the time after a service - blamed incompetent Skoda Authorised Muppets.

Found the unconnected hose. See pic. Highlighted hose that runs underneath isn't connected. I put engine on and followed the hiss. I can't get it back on without unscrewing **** so I'll leave it to the garage that didn't do it right first time. 

That's the one :) you have to pretty much make it all loose by undoing the torx screw on the far left, pinching the pipe on the right hand side and pull it off, then slide the pipe under to where it should be then the rest falls into place.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi guys I'm going to bring this back from the dead because I'm having the same problem. The hose in the picture above seems to be the issue I'm having. However it does seem to be "connected" to the right bit at the back. But it's loose??? I can wobble it about. Is there supposed to be a clip or something at the back to seal it?  What's worse is I don't have the tools to get the big intake pipe off so I can get decent access to it. Any help is welcome. 

1 hour ago, Godbomb2908 said:

Hi guys I'm going to bring this back from the dead because I'm having the same problem. The hose in the picture above seems to be the issue I'm having. However it does seem to be "connected" to the right bit at the back. But it's loose??? I can wobble it about. Is there supposed to be a clip or something at the back to seal it?  What's worse is I don't have the tools to get the big intake pipe off so I can get decent access to it. Any help is welcome. 

If it's loose there's a good chance there isn't a rubber seal on. eventually it will bring the EML on. Does it sound loud like there's a boost leak when your engine is running? You only need a torx fitting to undo the 2 screws on top of the engine where the spark plugs are and it all pops off.

if it is that and it's missing then the part number is 5J0 955 325. 

Has it been serviced recently? 

Edited by LGM

9 minutes ago, LGM said:

If it's loose there's a good chance there isn't a rubber seal on. eventually it will bring the EML on. Does it sound loud like there's a boost leak when your engine is running? You only need a torx fitting to undo the 2 screws on top of the engine where the spark plugs are and it all pops off.

That's a massive help I appreciate that. Yeh when I start the engine you can just hear the air hissing I dare say it's from when it was serviced a few months ago but no way to prove it now.

Couple of things where I run the risk of sounding daft, where are the two torx screws I can see one on the box like in the picture just under the arrow I take it that's one of them?

Secondly there appears to be rubber on the middle of the pipe put it feels plasticy on the end where it's suppose to be sealed but isn't. I hope that makes sense?? 

27 minutes ago, LGM said:

Just to be a further pain that part number is for a wiper blade linkage? 

2 minutes ago, Godbomb2908 said:

Just to be a further pain that part number is for a wiper blade linkage? 

Oops my mistake, I must of got the wrong packaging out. Bare with me.

23 minutes ago, Godbomb2908 said:

That's a massive help I appreciate that. Yeh when I start the engine you can just hear the air hissing I dare say it's from when it was serviced a few months ago but no way to prove it now.

Couple of things where I run the risk of sounding daft, where are the two torx screws I can see one on the box like in the picture just under the arrow I take it that's one of them?

Secondly there appears to be rubber on the middle of the pipe put it feels plasticy on the end where it's suppose to be sealed but isn't. I hope that makes sense?? 

If you can hear the air hissing and it's fairly noticeable then it makes sense the rubber either hasn't resealed proper or it isn't even there. I'm sure if it was serviced months ago surely the engine management light would of shown its face by now, mine popped on within a day or two so it's probably not sealed proper. The rubber seal slides over a pipe then that pipe that goes under the intake slides onto the rubber. 

Ive attached a picture I've just taken of the 2 torx screws needed to remove that little section of pipe. The pipe on the far right needs to be pinched together on the 9oclock and the 3oclock side and it will pull off. 

Part number is a bit faded on the packaging so I'll attach that too and see what you think. It looks like 03C 103 638 B

IMG_7810.JPG

IMG_7809.JPG

12 minutes ago, LGM said:

If you can hear the air hissing and it's fairly noticeable then it makes sense the rubber either hasn't resealed proper or it isn't even there. I'm sure if it was serviced months ago surely the engine management light would of shown its face by now, mine popped on within a day or two so it's probably not sealed proper. The rubber seal slides over a pipe then that pipe that goes under the intake slides onto the rubber. 

Ive attached a picture I've just taken of the 2 torx screws needed to remove that little section of pipe. The pipe on the far right needs to be pinched together on the 9oclock and the 3oclock side and it will pull off. 

Part number is a bit faded on the packaging so I'll attach that too and see what you think. It looks like 03C 103 638 B

IMG_7810.JPG

IMG_7809.JPG

Looks like you've got the right part number although google doesn't seem to pull up much for that part number. Although it did bring up one of your old threads from when you were looking for it! I think you're on the money that rubber part is missing. It's currently plastic on plastic hence why it's not sealing. 

Your help has been absolutely invaluable I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get this fixed now on the cheap instead of a garage. I'll just have to search around for the part. 

Thank you so much, seriously you don't know how much of a life saver you are. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Godbomb2908 said:

Your help has been absolutely invaluable I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get this fixed now on the cheap instead of a garage. I'll just have to search around for the part. 

Thank you so much, seriously you don't know how much of a life saver you are. 

You're more than welcome, that's what we're here for right? :)

I went into the dealership and had them bringing all sorts of diagrams up for rubber seals :D eventually we found it and I ordered 2. I've lost 2 of them bloody things in the back of the engine bay now.