Looking into a Yeti.....

Exponential

Just now, Exponential said:

That is some fantastic information there.

When I get to my diggs (I work away a lot) tonight I will go through everything you have suggested and attempt to put a plan together...

Cheers pal...B)

Although it immediately says on the second link...

I am ling, you can trust me...

So I instantly don't trust him...:D

14 hours ago, Exponential said:

I have actually considered a Hybrid. You make a very sensible argument there....

I'm led to believe the hybrids run on battery up to 30mph which would be extremely handy especially for her style and type of driving...

I'll look into it further...:)

My colleague at work has an outlander, which is a hybrid. I think you are wrong above. His hybrid will do about 30 miles, not mph on a charge at normal road speeds. If he boots the accelerator though the engine will start and give extra oomph. Whilst there is some charge in the battery it has excellent performance with both the engine and battery giving power to accelerate.

Hence his first 30 miles driven gently is all on battery and costs what the electricity cost are to recharge at home. Once the battery is exhausted it is all then on the motor which lugging around a heavy car whilst at the same time recharging the battery to give the good performance when needed, does not give a very good mpg.

However I personally would not want one of these at more than around 5 years old when the batteries are starting to lose their ability to hold charge and need replacing at huge cost! That's why even second hand outlanders are often leased and not bought due to the high battery replacement cost down the road.

In my view hybrids and full electric cars are not yet proven second hand. Those buying them new are often subsidised as a company car, or they are leased and written down in value over the lease and the used market is not used to dealing with them yet as they get older and need major cost to replace batteries..

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

My colleague at work has an outlander, which is a hybrid. I think you are wrong above. His hybrid will do about 30 miles, not mph on a charge at normal road speeds. If he boots the accelerator though the engine will start and give extra oomph. Whilst there is some charge in the battery it has excellent performance with both the engine and battery giving power to accelerate.

Hence his first 30 miles driven gently is all on battery and costs what the electricity cost are to recharge at home. Once the battery is exhausted it is all then on the motor which lugging around a heavy car whilst at the same time recharging the battery to give the good performance when needed, does not give a very good mpg.

However I personally would not want one of these at more than around 5 years old when the batteries are starting to lose their ability to hold charge and need replacing at huge cost! That's why even second hand outlanders are often leased and not bought due to the high battery replacement cost down the road.

In my view hybrids and full electric cars are not yet proven second hand. Those buying them new are often subsidised as a company car, or they are leased and written down in value over the lease and the used market is not used to dealing with them yet as they get older and need major cost to replace batteries..

I've been doing a bit of research on these hybrids and I think you're right.

I wouldn't buy a second hand hybrid as you've no idea how it's been treated and how much life the batteries have left. 

I'm an electrician and am familiar with battery systems so I'm aware of their capacity, capabilities and also pitfalls. 

Think a hybrid is out of contention...

I'm looking into lease hire at the minute....it's a minefield out there! :D

I am getting 35 42 MPG now in winter and was getting 45 50 mpg summer. Did get 57 mpg 200 mile trip country roads Motorway. More short runs little motorway 1.2 TSI   only done 3250 miles

Edited by skoda1982
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

I am getting 35 42 MPG now in winter and was getting 45 50 mpg summer. Did get 57 mpg 200 mile trip country roads Motorway. More short runs little motorway 1.2 TSI   only done 3250 miles

Now this is exactly the type of information that is needed as it mirrors the type of driving we (my wife) does. 

It sounds to me like this little 1.2 TSI is a fantastic little engine. Ideally suited to short trips with the occasional long run thrown in. :)

Guest FurryFriend
On 03/12/2017 at 14:01, Exponential said:

Any advice on economy, running costs etc would be extremely helpful as I don't want to go buy a Ford Kuga or some other similar car just because everyone else does! 

Forgive me but that had me rolling around on the floor in stitches. 

I live about 4 miles as the crow flies from the Qashqai factory in Sunderland. Everybody buys Qashqais..... That's exactly why we bought a Yeti and not a Nissan Qasquai :D  They're so COMMON. 

We HATE the jelly mould SUV shape. Doesn't matter what car you buy these days, they all look the bloomin' same. 

That's why we bought the Yeti. 

Go get one, she will love it. 

It's not all about looks...... Qashqais and Jukes are probably  the ugliest cars on the planet anyway in my opinion. They don't have indicators either......... B)

I've got the new 2017 model 1.2 Yeti Drive DSG. In a word..... SUPERB. Nothing even gets near it for versatility, space and economy. We put £15 of fuel in every week and go all over the place. 

We're the ones laughing at the ugly Catseyes as we call them. 

Edited by FurryFriend

6 minutes ago, FurryFriend said:

Forgive me but that had me rolling around on the floor in stitches. 

I live about 4 miles as the crow flies from the Qashqai factory in Sunderland. Everybody buys Qashqais..... That's why we bought a Yeti :D   We HATE the jelly mould SUV shape. Doesn't matter what car you buy these days, they all look the bloomin' same. 

That's why we bought the Yeti. 

Go get one, she will love it. 

It's not all about looks...... Qashqais and Jukes are probably  the ugliest cars on the planet in my opinion. 

I've got the new 2017 model 1.2 Yeti Drive DSG. In a word..... SUPERB. Nothing even gets near it for versatility, space and economy. We put £15 of fuel in every week and go all over the place. 

We're the ones laughing at the ugly Catseyes as we call them. 

:D:D:D.

Yes....the irony is not lost on me...;). I don't know why we chose it to be honest? It was an impulse buy which I now regret. I just want to get rid of it but with it being on HP, we are already out of pocket big time.

I totally agree with you when it comes to them all looking the same! Every single one of them looks either identical to the next or looks like a mish-mash of 3 different ones all mixed together.

The replacement for the Yeti looks exactly the same as the SEAT Ateca...sad. :o

Guest FurryFriend

Unfortunately for Skoda, they too have fallen into the same lazy design ethos with the Karoq. 

And that's why, despite an invitation to a viewing of the Karoq from our local dealer, we can't see ourselves either bothering, or spending any more money with Skoda. 

SUV is just a fashion fad to us. And at the moment  they are all wearing the same outfit. 

1 hour ago, FurryFriend said:

Unfortunately for Skoda, they too have fallen into the same lazy design ethos with the Karoq. 

And that's why, despite an invitation to a viewing of the Karoq from our local dealer, we can't see ourselves either bothering, or spending any more money with Skoda. 

SUV is just a fashion fad to us. And at the moment  they are all wearing the same outfit. 

So true!

It's a "copy & paste" world it really is...

Nothing new, nothing inovative (unless you're made of money and can afford a Tesla or some other such car).

Sad. :dull:

I know this is a Yeti forum but does anyone have any opinion on the SEAT Leon 1.2 TSI. Think it's the same engine? It's my second choice to the Yeti you see...

1 minute ago, Exponential said:

...I know this is a Yeti forum but does anyone have any opinion on the SEAT Leon 1.2 TSI. Think it's the same engine? It's my second choice to the Yeti you see...

The same engine, I think (cousins under the skin).  Not strictly an answer for you, but my son runs a Leon diesel (he does a long A-dual and motorway commute) and has not a bad word to say of it.  Feels good to me, as a passenger, and could have been a contender as replacement for my own Yeti 140 except that it's so darned LOW!!!  :blink:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brijo said:

Could have been a contender as replacement for my own Yeti 140 except that it's so darned LOW!!!  :blink:

My condiments exactly mate...

My wife is a bit concerned about going back to hatchback height. I'll never forget a long long time ago my dad bringing home a Ford Probe.

I've always driven transit vans for work so when I sat in that it bloody scared the life out of me! I literally felt like I was lay on the tarmac! Fun and very fast but a little bit of wee popped out at first! :D

8 minutes ago, Exponential said:

My condiments exactly mate...

My wife is a bit concerned about going back to hatchback height. I'll never forget a long long time ago my dad bringing home a Ford Probe.

I've always driven transit vans for work so when I sat in that it bloody scared the life out of me! I literally felt like I was lay on the tarmac! Fun and very fast but a little bit of wee popped out at first! :D

My sediments also.....

• Haha 1

On 12/3/2017 at 18:27, VAGCF said:

I find this surprising!

I'm 6'1" and find there is plenty of space in the rear of the Yeti for passengers. This I feel is one of the strong points of the Yeti given its overall size. For its possible replacement I'm looking at somewhat bigger cars like the Tiguan or Q5 to give me similar rear legroom.

I'm with you on this.  I'm 6ft and have never had problems with leg room for adult rear seat passengers.

For its size the Yeti was a vast improvement in this regard over my Impreza: I always had to move my seat forwards when I had adults in the back of that (and the boot space wasn't that great either).  It's possible that the more upright seating position in the Yeti helps, of course.  (Something to bear in mind, perhaps, if moving back to a more traditional hatchback shape from an SUV.)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ryeman said:

My sediments also.....

And mine - wife refuses pointblank to buying a car with lower seats than the Yeti. Ease of entry & exit and ability to see much more - particularly when touring on holiday.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Expatman said:

And mine - wife refuses pointblank to buying a car with lower seats than the Yeti. Ease of entry & exit and ability to see much more - particularly when touring on holiday.

I have a funny feeling that my wife will feel the same way. I think, once she sits in a low down car again after all these years of a high driving position, she will feel vulnerable and not like it one bit. :sadsmile:

15 hours ago, Exponential said:

I have a funny feeling that my wife will feel the same way. I think, once she sits in a low down car again after all these years of a high driving position, she will feel vulnerable and not like it one bit. :sadsmile:

I traded my otherwise faultless Golf  1.4 tsi dsg estate for a Yeti because of its low stance, shallow windscreen  and poor visibility. I was a danger to other road users when pulling out at junctions as I had to duck down to see past the interior mirror. Easier on the old back too with the Yeti seats at just the right height to get in and out. I am much happier in the Yeti than I was in the golf, despite the reduced performance and fuel economy. 

• Thanks 1

On 06/12/2017 at 08:29, PeterKn said:

I traded my otherwise faultless Golf  1.4 tsi dsg estate for a Yeti because of its low stance, shallow windscreen  and poor visibility. I was a danger to other road users when pulling out at junctions as I had to duck down to see past the interior mirror. Easier on the old back too with the Yeti seats at just the right height to get in and out. I am much happier in the Yeti than I was in the golf, despite the reduced performance and fuel economy. 

So you see reduced MPG in the yeti as opposed to the Golf. Could that be due to the 1.2 being underpowered compared to the 1.4? Very interesting....

2 minutes ago, Exponential said:

So you see reduced MPG in the yeti as opposed to the Golf. Could that be due to the 1.2 being underpowered compared to the 1.4? Very interesting....

Sitting higher in a heavier and less aero efficient SUV like the Yeti means noticeably higher fuel consumption.......it’s unavoidable.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Exponential said:

Morning Exponential, I think there are several factors. Ryeman is correct, the Yeti is far less aero efficient. I'm not that familiar with the comparative weights offhand. The Golf had between 5,000 - 10,000 miles on it during my ownership, the Yeti is brand new, less than 1,000 miles during the test period. Also, the Golf figures were taken in summer months, May until October, while the Yeti miles were all November. The Yeti fuel computer is surprisingly accurate, only a decimal point difference between that and two brim to brim calculations.

I'd say the main factor is the aero efficiency, although I do have a niggling suspicion that the peachy Golf 1.4 tsi engine is a little bit more efficient for the job. If that same engine had been available to me in the Yeti I would have taken it, but overall the Yeti 1.2 is for me, all things considered, a better car than the 1.4 Golf was. I love the Yeti, just more my thing.

• Like 1