Exhaust Slip On

kevberlin

Has anyone got experience of aftermarket slip on exhausts please?

I fancy beefing up the sound of my bike after riding a friends Triumph Bonneville T120 with a performance exhaust. (It was brilliant by the way).

I must have checked out every exhaust in the world on the internet in the last couple of days. I suspect they are all pretty good but I have now narrowed down my selection to a few brands. Those are the known brands Yoshimura and Mivv. I also like the look of a small British company called Motor Torque Cans who offer titanium at really competitive prices.

I am not prepared to fork out for Akrapovic as I have set myself a price limit of 400 quid.

Any views/advice would be gratefully received. Thanks a bundle.

3 hours ago, kevberlin said:

Has anyone got experience of aftermarket slip on exhausts please?

I fancy beefing up the sound of my bike after riding a friends Triumph Bonneville T120 with a performance exhaust. (It was brilliant by the way).

I must have checked out every exhaust in the world on the internet in the last couple of days. I suspect they are all pretty good but I have now narrowed down my selection to a few brands. Those are the known brands Yoshimura and Mivv. I also like the look of a small British company called Motor Torque Cans who offer titanium at really competitive prices.

I am not prepared to fork out for Akrapovic as I have set myself a price limit of 400 quid.

Any views/advice would be gratefully received. Thanks a bundle.

Hi Kev

I think to get a meaty sound you have to fo further than a slip on and remove the "Cat".

The Cat has such an effect on the sound that only after its removal can you get the roar.  I am happy with the Delkavic on the R3, it looks good, made a small change to the noise, I should try it without the baffle to test my point but looking at the Cat it must be the major factor for noise and power.

Removing the Cat means that one should probably redo the fuel mapping, though Delkavic say their system will not need this but I need to have that chat with them.  As with all these things if we do them is the warranty still valid, are the emissions going to be far worst maybe.

3 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Hi Kev

I think to get a meaty sound you have to fo further than a slip on and remove the "Cat".

The Cat has such an effect on the sound that only after its removal can you get the roar.  I am happy with the Delkavic on the R3, it looks good, made a small change to the noise, I should try it without the baffle to test my point but looking at the Cat it must be the major factor for noise and power.

Removing the Cat means that one should probably redo the fuel mapping, though Delkavic say their system will not need this but I need to have that chat with them.  As with all these things if we do them is the warranty still valid, are the emissions going to be far worst maybe.

Lol lol. Thanks for your thoughts on that. Appreciate it but think I will stay within my budget.

On another note, are you aware of impending changes at Savilles.

Kev

2 hours ago, kevberlin said:

Lol lol. Thanks for your thoughts on that. Appreciate it but think I will stay within my budget.

On another note, are you aware of impending changes at Savilles.

Kev

My Delkavic was only £120 I recall for the slip on and £250 for a whole system but then it is a relatively small twin.  Will probably get the rest of the system in the spring and at least try it with a remap.

Do pray tell about Savilles?   PM me please if you prefer.

4 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

My Delkavic was only £120 I recall for the slip on and £250 for a whole system but then it is a relatively small twin.  Will probably get the rest of the system in the spring and at least try it with a remap.

Do pray tell about Savilles?   PM me please if you prefer.

PM

Alldens exhaust in Market Rasen in Lincolnshire,

He had a triumph thruxton in last time i went and had made some replica cans for it but slightly smaller that made more noise

• Thanks 1

I looked at all the major brands but decided I wanted to find a small British bespoke supplier.

I found Max Torque Cans in Lancashire and was immediately impressed by online reviews and a conversation with the owner who is the individual who actually fabricates the metal. How refreshing!

I ordered the exhaust today and look forward to receiving it soon.

I've only just seen this too. 

Glad you're sorted and i hope you're happy with your choice. 

i've stopped buying exhausts new. Now i try and pick up a used but in really good condition Akra, Arrow or similar. Buy for the right price and sell it for pretty much the same. 

Although it seems to baffle the MT facebook group. About 10 of them saying a £500 akra cant be cheaper to own than a £300 Black Widow. But if you resell the Akra for £500 its cost nothing, and the black widow will likely be worth not much.. so its cost more. 

Just my take on it, because i've wasted so much on exhausts before. 

The exhaust arrived yesterday and looks well finished. I chose a black finish stainless steel.

I will fit in on Friday. It is much less cumbersome than the original exhaust and should improve bike aesthetics.

I will take before and after pics/video.

I understand your take on buying second hand exhausts, but his will be my only one (unless I lose the plot and change my bike....which is very unlikely at this stage of maturity!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevberlin said:

The exhaust arrived yesterday and looks well finished. I chose a black finish stainless steel.

I will fit in on Friday. It is much less cumbersome than the original exhaust and should improve bike aesthetics.

I will take before and after pics/video.

I understand your take on buying second hand exhausts, but his will be my only one (unless I lose the plot and change my bike....which is very unlikely at this stage of maturity!)

Bet you’ll lose a few KG’s there then! 

Be nice if you got some pics up when its on (: 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Eventually got the new exhaust fitted after being sent the wrong joining pipe and then having to wait for the correct spacer.

The supplier was  quick to resolve both issues however and, at no time, did I feel let down by him. He acknowledged the mistakes and rectified them immediately.

The exhaust looks great and sounds much better than the original. A nice raw sound but not overpowering. It is significantly smaller than the original and cleans up the aesthetics of the bike as it is shorter and much slimmer. Black stainless suits the bike better too. The original exhaust weighs 10lbs. The new exhaust is exactly half that weight.

I will post a couple of pics once the weather improves.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CWARD said:

I did think that’s going to bounce about. Looks good. 

I think you were right.

The sun was shining here today and I took the bike out to buy the wife a Christmas present for fear of certain death.

The exhaust sounded really great. Lots of burbling and snarling. It made me laugh.

10 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Looks good. Good effort. 

Cant beat a good sounding exhaust,  completes the bike doesnt it 

Yes, exactly. It really completes the bike.

I never ever contemplated one before. It was only my friend’s T120 exhaust that spurred me into action.

i have had bikes for more years than I can remember. I now realise what I was missing out on. 

• Like 1