Turn of ASR.

Hi guys, 

Just bought a 2008 1.9td Octy of a friend and I can't turn off the ASR. I think the button is not working...  tried pressing it hard, mulitple times etc, Can't make it go off. I need it off because I live in a very snowy place in the alps and its much better without. 

Anyone know of a way to disable it without the button? Or give any advice on how to fix this short of going to the dealer for a good screwing over.  Yeah I checked the No.2 dash fuse and it was hanging out strangely and after i popped it back in still nothing. 

Edited by DaveSearle

I tried literally every conceivable way of pushing the button, 3 seconds, 5 seconds, ten seconds, double, pressing really hard, etc. Nothing. 

I know its not the dash light because that comes on when I feel the TCS working.

Edited by DaveSearle
for got to mention.

Yeah Brakes nipping or power being shut off. 

He never turned it off but he did have some problems with some rodent damage to the wiring.. but he told me that was all fixed... I wonder if thats the problems.

I'll try a new fuse....When i dig my car out.. Just snowed a meter out here. 

Pulling the fuse for the ABS unit would do it, but you'd also lose ABS which is less than ideal.

Ideally, you need to get the car scanned with VCDS and see if there are any codes stored. You might also be able to use the measuring blocks to see if the ABS pump recognises the button is pressed.

5 minutes ago, Inex said:

Just out of curiosity - how is it better driving through snow without the ASR?

Sometimes when going uphill with a small amount of slush or snow on the road it is better to be able to spin the wheels to move the snow out of the way.  Also when you need to rock the car to get out of a parking space for example the ASR shuts the power off when it feels the wheels spin in relation to the back wheels so you can't dig away at the snow with the wheels. Most of the time it's better to keep it on, but if you're struggling to move or get grip up hill it's worth turning it off to try. 

Also better for lift of oversteer but that's more just for fun... :-D