170 cr engine tapping

Done a search under tapping but brought back loads.

Noticed recently my engine is making a tappet noise ( I'll see if the video will attach) no correlation to temperature, recent drives ect.

Did It sometimes before my oil and filter change (1k miles ago) and now occasionally on start up. After 3-5 minutes it's gone, but I'm just worried as I don't like noises like this 

Edited by Gissin

the video makes it sound worse than it does live, but it does this sound 1 in every 5-10 starts, after the 20 mile drive home at 40-70mph it sounds fine on my drive. i'm sure i've read somewhere the CR engine sounds like this sometimes?? but this is still a worry to me.

just to confirm the oil level is at about 80% / just under the max and i did my change with a mann filter and quantum longlife 3 5w-30 (correct spec)  which i plan to do every 9k miles

Mine does this some mornings but not always, always goes away after a couple of minutes. My mates Audi cr does it too and have read countless amount of times on forums that a lot of the cr's do this. 

my cr170 does exactly the same, sometimes quiet as a mouse, sometimes really loud ither times inbetween, i ignore it now or if its loud just give it a good rev and it goes, bit of a strange one but had it like that for 6 months with no worries or problems

its one of the lifters, mine does it sometimes, particularly in winter. Has done since new.

It can appear in almost any modern engine when the tolerances aren't quite right from new, or there may be excess wear or a partial blockage to that lifter.

Most of the time its nothing to worry about as its only short term while the lifter can pressurise

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1