Headlight washer not fully retracting

If i recall correctly it was a fairly common issue when the O3 was first released.

At the time I think most had it recified by the dealer under warrenty & so can't recall someone posting a quick DIY solution.

I'll have a search & see if I can find a useful post...

• Like 1

I had a little crash and one was destroyed, so everything was fitted as new on that corner. After I received my car I noticed the new one did not want to go all the way in...

As my engine was running, I popped the washer stick to initiate headlamp washing process, went quickly to the headlamp and waited for the second spray and as it started to go in, I helped it go all the way. It has been working correctly ever since.

• Like 2

Both of my washers were replaced at 120k km service under warranty. Retracting problems started at 90k km. Silicone grease helped in the beginning but only temporarily.

When I pulled them out I noticed that the plastic pistons were full of scratches (like a seized piston). When they not retracting fully the dirt comes in and destroys the plastic parts.

• Like 1

Tried dropping some silicone spray into the washer arm where it extends/retracts, but it doesn't seem to have helped. Looks like I might have to sweet talk my local dealer and try for some Skoda goodwill if its going to need a full washer replacement. Doesn't seem like something I should have to replace after 4 years and 30k miles.

14 minutes ago, GoneToBeemer said:

Is it not just the outside temp and the water freezing in them? Mine did it in the winter but was fine the rest of the time.

The washer jets themselves and the screenwash are fine - they spray no problem. The unit just doesn't fully retract on the nearside unless I push or pull it out slightly, then it goes back in.

So I tested them last night and again today and it seems to be retracting ok now. Hopefully the silicone spray has worked it's way in and done the trick! It is a bit warmer today 6c though last night was -1c and it retracted fine, so don't think it's temperature related.

Will keep an eye on it.

Edited by ahenners

On 17/12/2017 at 13:19, ahenners said:

So I tested them last night and again today and it seems to be retracting ok now. Hopefully the silicone spray has worked it's way in and done the trick! It is a bit warmer today 6c though last night was -1c and it retracted fine, so don't think it's temperature related.

Will keep an eye on it.

How’s it been lately?

My new (to me) Octy is doing the same

Nearside one stays out about 10-15mm

I have to manually push it back in

Edited by Damo

1 hour ago, Damo said:

How’s it been lately?

My new (to me) Octy is doing the same

Nearside one stays out about 10-15mm

I have to manually push it back in

It's been nearly a week and so far it has been fine. Used at least once or twice everyday since. Fingers crossed it has resolved the issue long term.

There was quite a bit of grit behind the cover and on the two prongs that sit into the bumper. Removed all the crud, and sprayed a healthy amount of the silicone spray on those prongs and on the shaft of the washer itself. Pumped the shaft in and out a few times to let the spray work it's way in before pulling the washer out far and letting it go.

I think this is a common issue on early ones from searching previous threads. My washer was also the nearside that was playing up. 

Edited by ahenners
  • Thanks 1